“Really cool and surprisingly friendly!”
Review of Sunset Marquis

Sunset Marquis
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
“Really cool and surprisingly friendly!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last August and had a wonderful time. The hotel is on a small, residential dead end street near Holllywood. When you drive up the hotel looks like a swanky apartment. We were greeted warmly by everyone: the valets, front desk staff and concierge (I have a terrible memory for names but he is the coolest, nicest guy). When we checked in we found out we were upgraded from a 1 bedroom suite to a one bedroom villa! What amazing accommodations! A huge living room/dining room area with a sectional couch, 8 person dining table, wet bar, and flat screen tv. The bedroom was nicely sized with the most comfortable bed EVER. the bathroom was gorgeous-iridescent glass tiles, big shower and beautiful soaking tub. The grounds are beautiful, like a private oasis, lit with fairy lights at night, 2 really nice pools, groovy outdoor bar, wonderful restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Then there is the whole rock & roll vibe. Lots of great rock photos and guitars in the public spaces. There is also a full, very snazzy recording studio, which the cool concierge gave us a tour of and introduced us to the manager. Many A list performers have recorded there. Lots of A listers stay there too, just not when we were there. Oh well. We plan on returning in February with our teenage daughters. My husband and I keep saying, if we sold our house how long would we be able to live at the Sunset Marquis!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Claudia B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Hobart
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I booked this hotel knowing it had hype, reputation & WeHo Glam. I have to say with this in mind and the price paid I expected more. The room I received was large but looked tired and dated. It was a 1 bedroom suite with a separate lounge & dining area. The bathroom was large and stocked with good quality Aveda products, however the water pressure & temperature wasn't great and the towels were looking & felt old. The heating took about 4 hours to adjust from being quite cold to a more appropriate temperature and having to pay for WiFi was frustrating. Additionally i was unable to use more that one device on my paid connection (even when i disconnected from one and tried to log-in to another i was prompted to pay again) - frustrating! I had room service which was fine and the minibar selection was varied and a little different which was cool. I had a drink at the bar and waited and waited for service due to the focus towards the A-lister that was also there and found that frustrating. Yes it was cool to see the who's who of hollywood but I expect good service and a good room and only received average on both.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank JacobASmith
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

this hotel has 2 faces, first we experienced the worst: a very old room, old carpet and curtains and although the room was very big, it was not nice at all with a weird smell.
In the morning we've been woken up at 8.30am by refurbishment works going on in a room near by (drilling, hammer, ...). We complained, and we have been told the hotel was fully booked, and they had to see what they could do...by a not really nice and definitely not helpful receptionist that kept saying he was sorry and the next day the work would have started at 9am instead!

We were very disappointed and frustrated, given the high price we paid for the room, and not happy about the 9am alarm with drilling that was waiting for us the morning after, so push to be called by the manager and considering to move to a different hotel.

Eventually the manager moved us in the evening to another area of the hotel, the NEW
refurbished one!
From that point we could understand the high rate reviews as the room was really nice, with all comforts, bathroom was great with 2 sinks, everything looks great, clean and slick. Plus the manager send us some snacks to apologies for the inconvenience.

The restaurant and bar are anyway really nice, very intimate, full of green spaces around and with great food (and celebrities!). the staff there is exquisite

I'd recommend this hotel ONLY if the room in the new refurbished area

Room Tip: ONLY if the room in the new refurbished area
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ItalianaM
MarquisDOM, Manager at Sunset Marquis, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for your review of Sunset Marquis, ItalianM. Indeed, we are undergoing renovations at the moment and while we are doing our best to minimize disturbance to our guests, there are times when loud noises can be heard. We recognize that our guests are with us for relaxation or business purposes, however, and as such, restrict construction to normal business hours Monday - Friday. There should be no disturbances after 6pm weekdays or on the weekends. On behalf of the hotel, I certainly apologize for the inconvenience you and others have experienced and voiced here on Trip Advisor.

Now on to the good news. The renovations will be primarily complete by the end of December. All of the suites in our main building will be refurbished and refurnished, with all new carpeting and in-room amenities and furnishings. Our goal has always been to start off 2014 with a terrific new experience for our guests and we hope you will enjoy the many changes we have in store.

Thank you for your patronage, and we hope to see you again very soon.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I was first at the Sunset Marquis in 2004. I have seen many changes there. All for the better. And for many, many years this used to be my favorite spot. They really lived up to their "Unique, even by Hollywood standards" slogan. When I stayed there again this summer I was blown away. But not in a good way. The suite I stayed in had filthy, stained carpets. Also the sofa was terribly stained. My food arrived burned twice for breakfast. One evening one of the toilets and all floor around in the ladies room next to Bar 1200 was blood stained. I like children. But around the already tiny pool in the main courtyard children were crayoning and making lots of noise. This used to be a place of very cool and understated luxury. This time I did not even want to put anything down on the room in my floor, walk barefoot or sit on the sofa because it all looked so dirty and stained. I understand that they have to get more people in to make business. But for me this is the end of a hotel I loved. And I think for this luxurious resort feel I will have to try the only other hotel of this kind next time. The Bel Air hotel. Probably not so rock star cool. But at least clean and quiet I hope and will report.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KMALosAngeles
Dear KMALos Angeles,

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the disappointing experience you had with Sunset Marquis during your most recent stay. Our goal is always to provide exemplary service and quality accommodations, and we apologize for not living up to those standards this time.

With respect to our rooms, we are undergoing an extensive renovation in our main building, which houses our suites. For obvious reasons, this needs to be done and while it is never a convenient time, it must be undertaken at some point. We apologize this happened during your stay.

As it relates to families and Sunset Marquis, we are indeed a rare find, inasmuch as we cater to a variety of guests, from corporate and leisure travelers to international visitors to fashion and advertising and to celebrities and musicians, including their kids. Hotels that cater to children are not always the best fit for every traveler, but this audience has become increasingly important to us at Sunset Marquis, to the extent we have even created a kids program called Future Rockers. As such, we will continue welcome them at the hotel. As a suggestion, while our main pool does indeed see its share of children, in most case our villa pool is typically very much adult oriented.

Thank you again for your comments. We are sorry to see you go, but hopefully you will give us another shot in the new year to reignite the passion you've had for Sunset Marquis since your first visit in 2004.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Fantastic room that felt like a suite with an incredible comfortable bed for a perfect night's sleep. Very relaxing & quiet. Beautiful pool area with great service. Great bar. Food at the restaurant (for dinner, breakfast, snacks etc) was just delicious. Loved this hotel and would hurry back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank DanSS74
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

They are undergoing a renovation so you expect some disruption - overall it was worse than they said it would be but still tolerable. The big issue was noise from a construction site right next door - jack hammers and heavy machines from 8 am - 5 pm kind of ruined the poolside ambience we had been looking for. The reaction of the hotel to this was ok but had to be prompted by our complaint which was a shame - it was clear they were surprised by the sudden noise from next door but they seemed to hope we'd simply ignore it which we couldn't.

Service generally very good (except housekeeping which seemed very disorganised). Francois the butler and Carly on Concierge deserve very high praise. Andy the Manager also did well in the end but perhaps could have been more generous sooner given the hassle we had.

BUT PLEASE LET PEOPLE MAKE A COFFEE IN THEIR OWN ROOM - HAVING TO PAY $20 FOR ROOM SERVICE JUST SEEMED MEAN.

We'll be back one day to see if we were just unlucky this time re the noise.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andy F
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I'll confess that I usually stay at the Chateau Marmont, but tried the Marquis this time. I grew up near New Orleans where courtyards and patios are celebrated. The Marquis had the same sensibility - a world turned into itself, lushly landscaped, private, beautiful and very well-appointed. My junior villa was pitch perfect. Huge bathroom with great rain shower - the bath was the size of your average NYC hotel room. The staff seemed young, but kept surprising me with their professionalism and enthusiasm - not always easy to find in L.A. Friendly, efficient and guessed what I needed before I even seized on the thought myself. Bed was very comfortable, and bar was lovely (I am picky about my bourbon and they had the good stuff and poured it well). I'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Junior villas are great - very roomy and luxurious.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business