“Hidden gem in West Hollywood”
Review of Sunset Marquis

Sunset Marquis
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights over the Labor Day weekend. The room was surprisingly large and the furnishings were fun and unique, as well as very comfortable. We chose a room on the ground floor by the pool so we could walk out our big patio doors and have our own spot by the pool. We were concerned about the location at first because we are light sleepers and worried about noise after dark and early morning but the hotel assured us they have a "No Party" policy (you actually have to sign a form when you check in) and the hotel is very quiet despite its Rock and Roll history and vibe. I can attest that it is true - very quiet, laid back and relaxed, even though we saw several famous people, everyone is very chill.

I had two business meetings on Friday morning so we arrived Thursday night and stayed until Sunday morning. We had dinner at Cavatina the evening we arrived and it was really a wonderful experience. We are vegetarian/vegan and the menu had several great options plus the chef altered one of the dishes for my wife. Our waiter was super and spent quite a bit of time at our table giving us a history of the hotel, and some tips on local places we could go hiking.

I held both of my business meetings in the restaurant over breakfast and it was perfect.

With a stroll around the grounds you realize how large the property is (4 acres) with all kinds of hidden gardens, seating areas, fountains rooms and villas tucked here and there. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood off of Sunset Blvd. but you would think you are somewhere in the hills it's so lush, quiet and peaceful.

All of the staff was consistently friendly and helpful. I have to give special recognition to Carly, at the Concierge Desk though - she was the perfect concierge - very approachable and friendly and resourceful.

Awesome trip and wonderful hotel. We would definitely go back and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: The villas have more privacy and style but are pricier.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mikayla753

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Having worked in the hospitality industry for over thirty years I have stayed at some very nice hotels, W's, Westin, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and Hyatt. There are good hotels, very good hotels and truly great hotels. The difference is in the small details. There are hundreds of details that separate the very good hotels from truly great hotels or at least truly great stays. Very small details that all add up. Arriving at valet parking and having the valets know your name and expecting you. Plush towels, not simply plush towels, but stacks of plush towels, world class amenities in the bathroom, not one shampoo but several, at the tub, at the shower. Plush bath mats at the shower AND at the sinks, turn down service with mats next to the bed and slippers, waiters that remember your name and how you like your drinks. Walkways lined with real candles, staff eager to help at every turn. Room service breakfast that arrives under 15 minutes from when you ordered it over the phone. Details like this don't just happen they are the result of great well trained staff and fantastic management. Our waiter Greg and the bellman Logan stand out, but everyone is worth complimenting.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the villas
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We spent a week in LA and stayed one night at the Sunset Marquis on the urging of my husband's friend who lives in LA and is a fairly well known movie star. We figured we'd trust his advice and he was pretty spot on. We had a really nice stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for a chill, low key place in a great location but off the beaten path. We stayed at the glitzy and glamorous SLS the next night and they were two extremes.

The trip was a whirlwind but there are five specific things that I remember about this hotel. 1) when we checked in we had to sign something agreeing to the "No Party" policy which was fine with us. We were told "Rock stars need to sleep too." 2) The rooms were dark which I imagine most people staying there really like. Makes it hard to get ready but allows you to sleep late. 2) Bar Whiskey was closed the night we were there due to an AC issue which was really disappointing. We were advised this was a must-do on our trip. 3) The front pool had little kids in it and the upper pool was really small and quiet and felt dated. My husband saw Hulk Hogan at the upper pool. 4) The water pressure in the shower was AMAZING. I have never experienced anything like it! I did not want to get out and I will measure every hotel shower I ever take against the shower at the Sunset Marquis.

2  Thank Suzanidoo
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I was a little doubtful that this hotel would be family friendly given its reputation as a rock n roll haunt. Be in no doubt that this hotel welcomes children with open arms and we had a great 5 days here. On arrival the kids enjoyed cookies and milk and welcome bags full of goodies. During our stay they loved the hotel treasure hunt which gave great prizes, teeshirts, baseball caps [good ones], icecreams, fruit etc. They loved the pools and friendly welcome they got from every member of staff at this hotel.

We loved the fantastic beds, the thoughtful and thorough turn downs, the efficient and welcoming staff, the wonderful photographs around this relaxed hotel, the cool bar, the great food and of course the great LA vibe of being in a really famous hotel and sharing the lift [sorry elevator!] with the odd rock star...

Room Tip: We didn't have a view but it didn't matter, the rooms were interconnecting and big with plen...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jae39
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is an amazing hotel with excellent service. We stayed here for a weekend after completing the highway one drive from San Francisco for our 25th Anniversary. Our room was not ready upon check-in which was no big deal for me but the manager went above and beyond to compensate for the delay. The hotel is older but the rooms are nicely renovated and the grounds are well kept. We stayed in a junior suite which overlooked the pool area. The room was spacious and the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The bathroom was modern with a huge walk in shower. The hotel has a casual and relaxing vibe but gets live at night. It's in a great location. Close to Sunset but located in a private residential area. This hotel has it all! Nice restaurant, spa, pool, bar and a staff that is second to none. Absolutely loved it.

1  Thank pat j
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel was amazing. The gardens are beautiful, the lounges and chairs around the pool are perfect for relaxing. Walking distance to the West Hollywood Sunset Plaza - great cafes and nightclubs. The bed was too soft for me but apart from that the room was great. Our stay would have been perfect except they had a receptionist on duty who was very rude to us and the other staff. This was noticed by others. This really brought the standard of the hotel down so I hope there is a friendlier staff member next time I visit! The other staff were great, especially Oscar, lovely guy.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a pool view, the other rooms are not as nice and are dark. Confirm yo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kim2627
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Sunset Marquis for 5 days in July and loved the hotel, the staff and the location. Hernan and Logan made our stay even more memorable by their local knowledge and although they were busy always found time for a smile and a chat,
The hotel has an amazing rock n roll history and we saw a few big stars during our stay, there's a recording studio, a restaurant, valet parking and a nightclub on site as well as wonderfully private bungalows and villas set out on a few acres of beautiful gardens. The Marquis is just off Sunset Blvd, walking distance to all the West Hollywood night clubs and Sunset Plaza as well. I'll be heading back ASAP to this fabulous hotel!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple