“Lovely and extremely comfortable hotel in a great location.”
Review of Sunset Marquis

Sunset Marquis
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We always select hotels that are located in residential areas, away from the glitzy and often tacky areas that attract eager tourists. We prefer a quiet and elegant place to stay when we travel, especially when we are in large cities. The Sunset Marquis is one of those unique hotels and we recommend it highly.
The suites are comfortable, well furnished and spacious and we found the service to be very responsive. The gym facilities were great and we couldn't have been happier with the meals we had when we entertained friends and family. It's a really good choice if you are planning to be in West Hollywood.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 September 2009

We live in Hermosa Beach and our family did a mini family reunion at the Hotel.
I had so much fun just hanging out in our BEAUTIFUL villa, lying around by the pool, and eating delicious gourmet food (in the room and at the restaurant!). Something that I really did appreciate about the hotel was the fact that I felt like I had a lot of privacy because of the greenery and the villa; at the same time, it didn't seem like we were isolated from all of the luxuries the hotel had to offer. Whoever went out of their way to put both a fruit basket (which by the way, was delicious and exotic) AND freshly baked cookies in our room before we arrived is my official hero! ALL of the staff was extremely friendly and attentive -- from the waiters, to the pool staff, to the concierge -- and I was very impressed with the fact everyone was so concerned with us having a luxurious and comfortable stay. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. So beautiful in fact that I felt it necessary to take out my camera and start taking pictures of various flowers! I felt like I was in a calm, cool oasis in the midst of a scorching hot West Hollywood. Seriously, the Sunset Marquis is AMAZING! When I got into bed (after watching a movie on the giant flat screen our room so conveniently had in its living room) I pretty much felt like I was collapsing into a flurry of clouds; It doesn't get much better than that! Thank you to the Sunset Marquis for a great time.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jharris2466
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and I have to say it is one of my favourite hotels in the world, particularly now the hotel has been extended to incorporate the new villas. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, whilst striking that all important balance between being available when needed but respecting your privacy ~ you really feel as if every effort is made to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The attention to detail is prevalent throughout the hotel. I would certainly recommend this hotel, wonderful staff, location and rooms. No negative comments to raise and we are looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The reservationist handled my last-minute reservation very nicely. The valet and front desk staff were very nice about my showing up three hours before check-in. Room wasn't ready yet, but they happily stored our luggage while we went to the restaurant for a nice lunch. Restaurant was very comfortable and relaxing--the setting and gardens are really pretty and the service was good. Not fast, but good.

Pros and cons, in no particular order: Our Junior Suite was roomy with truly fabulous bedding. There really ought to be a sofa or something in the room besides the one semi-comfortable chair. Furniture showed moderate wear (scratches and dings), carpet had some spots. The bathroom was VERY basic and small. Cleanliness was okay but could have been better. My room faced west over the pool, and was very bright with lots of windows. The balcony was nice to sit on. I was mystified by the lack of coffee maker and the elderly television, and the lack of an alarm clock of any kind. Am I alone in liking wash cloths? There weren't any. Room service was prompt and the food was good. Also, hotels need to grow up and STOP charging for WiFi! This is the 21st century!!

There's lots of room for improvement, but there's a very nice, relaxed ambiance about the place. The grounds are really lovely and it's peaceful in a way you don't expect so close to Sunset.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We stayed at the Sunset Marquis July 17-19. From the moment we arrived we knew we had selected the best hotel! We have stayed in many 5 star and 4 star hotels and this by far was one of the best. It was classy without being snobbish, it was laid back but trendy and the staff no matter what position they held were incredible! We had never stayed there before and we a little unsure after some of the comments, but do not listed to anything negative about this hotel. The grounds were so beautiful and both pools were great. The photography that surrounds the hotel is so great! Yes, you do see celebrities and Chris Daughtry was out by the pool and then sat right next to our table at dinner. There were many more here and there but it was so nice and peaceful. A great trip and cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Based on stays at similar hotels nearby (such as the Standard), I was expecting lots of glamor, lots of hip decor, and attitude off the charts. I was surprised to find the staff as helpful and friendly as the property and rooms were beautiful. I have to admit I was a little shocked at first---aren't we in West Hollywood?---but in every instance, from the front desk to the waiters and bartenders, everybody was as cheerful and accommodating as could be. Stay an extra half day in the room because of a late departure? No problem at all.

The rooms were simple and very comfortable, the restaurant decent, but what is most striking about the property are the extensive gardens between the 2 pools. Really beautiful and serene.....it's hard to tell you're half a block from Sunset. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bruce C
Reviewed 10 July 2009

I'm very surprised by some of the rave reviews unless perhaps they stayed in the new construciton villas. From the moment you step through the door (and by the way although there is an employee at the front door he failed to acknowledge my hello as I entered), you feel the atmosphere of a motel. Lobby is non-existent. In fact more than two checking in and you are bumping into each other. The elevator--where do I begin. Again more than two and you better not have significant luggage and you're squeezed in and sluggish to respond. As you exit your floor there are no directional signs whatsoever as to room numbers, elevators, ice machines and dark narrow hallways (again reminiscent of a motel), rooms furnished adequately but obvious cheap furniture with dark heavy ugly curtains. We all know honor bar items are overpriced but they take it to a whole new level with the best part being the refrigerator didn't work so that $3.59 soda will come to you at room temperature. Good luck finding the ice machines. The one and only thing that stood out was the bed linens were wonderful. I went to restaurant at 3:30, plenty of staff obviously at restaurant but a complete void of attention and service. I sat with an ice tea brought to me immediately for 20 minutes before I could get the attention of an employee to take my order. Unbelievable. Parking is non-existent so you'll be paying $30 to park at the motel...oops excuse me hotel. One can secure room in Beverly Hills for less so why on earth would anyone stay here. And please I'm not buying the place where stars stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 353 in Los Angeles

Been to Sunset Marquis? Share your experiences!