“Beautiful Art Deco Hotel”
Review of Sunset Tower Hotel

Sunset Tower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 20 September 2009

This hotel is stunning and right in the heart of Sunset Strip. The staff were so friendly & very helpful. The rooms were small but well appointed.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed 11 August 2009

We recently celebrated our first wedding anniversary by a 3 night stay at the Sunset Tower. Both my husband and I travel alot for leisure so our expectations are usually high. We also come from a city where tourism is a big industry and are used to first class accomodations and excellent customer service. The Sunset Tower is not only a beautiful hotel, the staff was extremely friendly and the food and service was excellent. The rooms were immaculate and we wanted to take the bed home with us. When we arrived we were upgraded to a Jr. Suite with a view of the pool and the city lights. We enjoyed the skyline both day and night. We had planned to eat out both Sat. and Sun night but instead stayed and dined at the hotel and took advantage of the 24 hour room service. It is centrally located and had easy access to many of the areas tourist attractions. The only thing I would say was a negative was the bathroom was very dark and I had to do my hair and makeup in the sitting room. They definately need brighter lights in the bathroom. Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay so much that we have decided to make our anniversary an annual event at the Sunset Tower.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2009

We were late arriving into hotel to be informed by the front desk that we were being upgraded to a suite, such a nice touch after 2 long haul flights. Suite was amazing, some views from it.

The hotel is a world apart from chain hotels and there is a lot of interesting hollywood history attached to it. The cookies at the turn down service were delicious.

I got my hair done at the argyle salon, the staff were more than helpful. Great location there is plenty to do and see in west hollywood, its the place to be!!

On the downside the valet parking is pricey and i found the front desk staff pretentious at times.

But other than that i loved this charming hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sunset Tower Hotel for 4 nights and we had a great time there. The hotel is nothing like the usual chains that most people stay in. The whole staff was very friendly and accommodating, from the front desk to the valet attendants to the dining staff. Some of them even got to know us by name. The turn down service at night was a plus (my hubby was definitely excited about the chocolate chip cookies on the night table at night). The bed was extremely comfortable, I was seriously wanting to take those pillows home with me. We had a regular room, but it was just the right size for the two of us and our view of the LA skyline was great. We would definitely stay here again.
The only downfall would be the $32 valet fee (but hey it's LA you pay EVERYWHERE). Mel's diner is right down the street and was great for a cheap eat, the hotel restaurants are definitely a little pricey to eat at every day, but I recommend Mel's if you want something different and on the cheaper side.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2009

I recently stayed at the Sunset Tower Hotel in West Hollywood. I had reserved a junior suite, but upon my arrival, I was given a complimentary upgrade to a penthouse suite. (I have no "in" here, nor am I their most frequent guest, I'm sure). My boyfriend joined me for our one-year anniversary, and it made our special weekend more perfect than we could have imagined. We thoroughly enjoyed the beauty and the space and the luxury, not to mention the views from the wrap-around balcony.

I am absolutely thrilled with the restoration of the Sunset Tower back to its original glory (It was built in 1929 and was a residence through the '30s and '40s). As the Argyle Hotel, in the late 1990s, it was getting kind of tired and rough around the edges. Still, when I heard it had been bought a couple of years ago, I was afraid the whole character of the place might be changed. I am so glad to see that was not the case.

In addition, the staff are all outstanding - from the front desk staff to the valets to the waiters to housekeeping. Everyone was friendly, professional, and they pay attention to details. This is a world-class hotel, and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2009

I was in LA for 3 nights visiting friends, who lived nearby. This hotel is what I was looking for, it was laid back & not a chain. There were several people from the movie industry here, but it's not a place to oggle them. It's more a place where people go to be left alone. The room was larger then I expected, & there are only 6 rooms per floor.

I got an excellent deal at this hotel, & would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank g0ne-walkab0ut
Reviewed 29 March 2009

From the moment we arrived, the staff at the Sunset Tower was fantastic. As our family of four drove up, a TV celebrity was getting his car but the valet staff never missed a beat and gave us the star treatment. The front desk staff was terrific and gave us quite an upgrade to a two-bedroom suite - huge! While waiting for our room, they suggested we rest at the oh-so-nice pool area and provided us with drinks. The rooms were ready a few minutes later, our bags waiting.

Throughout our stay, the staff was unfailingly helpful and gave personal service. The valets knew our (rental) car and the doorman always greeted us with a smile. Although our family of four was clearly in tourist mode, the staff made us feel welcome at the hotel which hosts quite a bit of the see-and-be-seen crowd.

Rooms were nice, especially the corner suite. We we on a high floor (14) which helped with the street noise - lower levels would likely be loud. They have kept the historical feeling with modern amenities. The continental breakfast on the patio is very relaxing.

Our teenage kids loved the hotel; wouldn't be great for little ones. There is a pool but it's small and not really set up for the splash and play set. The evenings bring in quite a crowd for the bar. (The hotel requires you initial several items upon check-in including a "no partying" line...).

The Sunset Tower is a great alternative to the giant warehouse hotels in LA for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Sunset Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!