“Quick overnight stop”

The London West Hollywood at Beverly Hills
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 24 January 2014

There for one night as part of a bigger trip - but not my first time here, and you always know what you're getting with The London. Valet/bellboy is always welcoming and efficient, front desk always helpful - on this occasion I arrived early morning because of flight transfers etc, and they still managed to get me into my room for that evening at no extra cost.

Breakfast is plentiful - good buffet, but also can order from menu for hot plates etc. And Gordon Ramsay dinner is great. On this visit, the pool area had been hired out for a private event in the evening, which is a little bit off - but wasn't the warmest when I was up there for lunch, so hadn't really planned to be up there. But as that is a feature of the hotel, I take a star off for making that unavailable.

Rooms - from experience whatever floor you are on, try to avoid facing the road and the Viper Room - this time I was facing the garden, and while there isn't really a view there, in terms of piece and quiet it is far better.

I'd certainly return - I do return - I can feel at home here. It's glitzy enough without being intimidating. Nicely understated.

Room Tip: Try to avoid facing the road and the Viper Room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Businessclass2012
SarahDandashy, Manager at The London West Hollywood at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear BusinessClass2012,

We love to hear from repeat guests! So thank you for not only the kind words, but for choosing to stay with us on a number of occasions. We do host wonderful events on our beautiful rooftop, but we nearly always keep a portion of the roof open to our hotel guests. Since you have stayed with us several times, I am sure you have noticed that access to the roof is rarely ever an issue. But I do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience during your most recent visit.

We look forward to having you join us again and enjoying the rooftop to take in every last bit of this fantastic weather!

Best,

Sarah Dandashy
Concierge, Les Clefs d’Or

Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at the London West Hollywood between Christmas and New Years 2013. We booked two of the London Suites. Here are the pros and cons.

PROS:

The hotel is conveniently located, though, as with most anywhere in LA, we drove virtually everywhere.

The valet parking staff was excellent. Our car was always ready when we called ahead. And they were quick to take the car upon our return.

The bellman was very nice and efficient both on check in and check out.

The check in process was quick and very pleasant. Even though we had not requested connecting suites, they gave us connecting suites, which was nice.

The rooms are very large and nicely finished. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is very large and well appointed.

The rooftop pool was very nice.

CONS:

The biggest drawback of the room was the balcony and, most importantly, the sliding glass door to the balcony. While the rest of the room had fairly high quality furnishings, the sliding glass door to the balcony was what you might expect to find in a 1960s ranch house that had never been updated. It was a cheap aluminum door that was so worn out that it was very difficult to open and close. So, that created a significant barrier to using the balcony, which frankly wasn't that nicely finished. Moreover, the door (and every other sliding glass door around us) was very noisy when opened and closed. Anytime that anyone else above or around us used their door, it sounded like a train was rolling into the room. Finally, the lack of any insulation around the door allowed for significant noise intrusion. Because our room, like many in the hotel, faced a fire station, this was a problem.

While the bathroom was nicely finished, the plumbing fixtures were not of very high quality. Indeed, the shower was continually leaking while we were there.

The fitness room is tucked away on the roof top and seemed like an afterthought. The equipment was fairly good. But it wasn't a place you wanted to spend much time (think windowless room down a long corridor) and the carpet was not terribly clean. I wouldn't wanted to have done any mat work on the floor.

Our room rate included breakfast (as I think it does for all guests). Unfortunately, they only had half of the dining room open for seating. On the first morning, this meant a 20 minute wait for a table (and this is only for a cold breakfast, mind you). On the second morning, the wait was up to 30 minutes. Moreover, they didn't allow you to take food to go. We skipped the breakfast on the third day. So, if you are figuring the value of the breakfast in determining the reasonableness of the rate, you may want to adjust for the likelihood that you will ever get the breakfast.

We brought our dog (12lbs) with us and I felt that the dog fee was well above market ($100 plus $20/night).

So, in sum, a nice, very large room, but the downsides were too significant at this price point. We will stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Probably best to avoid rooms that overlook the fire station unless they have upgraded their sliding...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank trat10

Dear Trat10,

Thank you also for taking the time to write a thorough review, as our team takes all feedback seriously in a continuous effort to exceed expectations. I do find parts of your review rather disconcerting and not up to par with the accommodations we strive to provide. Every room has a private balcony, a feature not offered at other hotels and one that most of our guests enjoy. You might be pleased to know we are planning for interior upgrades over the coming year, so we plan to address any furniture wear, fixtures upgrades, and even the gym! I am excited to share that we will be launching 23 new luxury suites with separate living rooms and sleeping areas later this year!

As for your experience in the restaurant, it is again my sincerest apologies in regards to the service. I noticed you stayed with us between Christmas and New Years, a particularly busy time of the year, especially for families who are traveling. As we offer a complimentary European breakfast table to all of our hotel guests, we can have momentary “rushes” during the large time span in which we offer this service.

Should you decide to stay with us again, please feel free to reach out to me directly to ensure your stay is a special one!

Warmest regards,
Sarah Dandashy
Concierge, Les Clefs d’Or
sdandashy@thelondonweho.com

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We love this hotel. My wife and I take an annual trip back to the London for her birthday in January. We had our first romantic trip here some years ago, and have enjoyed the London ever since. The rooms are modern, well appointed with fantastic views of the city. The staff is attentive and ready to serve, and responded to our every need with speed and efficiency. The location is spectacular - walk out the door and up to Sunset, and Beverly Hills is four blocks to the left, Whiskey-A-Go-Go across the street, and the Viper room half a block to the right. A host of excellent restaurants of all types are an easy walking distance. Yet if you stay back in the hotel, lounging at the rooftop pool is wonderful. Every time we have visited there are celebrities in the hotel, eating and sunning with everyone else. Not to be bothered of course, but still fun. Our only complaints are a stunningly subpar "fitness center" -- which reminds me of a budget gym at a Holiday Inn with old equipment that barely works in cramped quarters. Plus, the breakfast buffet is just not up to the quality of everything else in this excellent hotel. Lots of little touches that are great by the way - like most of the lights on dimmers in the room, and lights in the bathroom that turn on automatically when you approach in the night. The bathrooms are for royalty! The London is pricey, but worth a special trip each year and a window for practical easterners (that's us) on the celebrity lifestyle!

Room Tip: Upgrading to the villa is worth a relatively modest additional charge - the deck overlooking LA is s...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geonat1
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Staying here as I type this. Spacious room overlooking the hills to the north. Comfy, clean bed. Lovely ambiance lighting for in-room dining, with hillside view. Palatial bathroom with deep soaking tub and separate shower with multiple shower head options. Dinner was very memorable, the food tasted fabulous, and the service warm yet efficient. I dropped my napkin on the floor and a fresh one immediately appeared. The menu was explained well and the recommendations were divine. This sort of place could ooze pretentiousness, but the staff are all outstanding and friendly. The room does show signs of wear (like the buttons popping out of the upholstery and a tear in the headboard fabric), but these are easily overlooked. Some traffic noise but it easily fades into the background, and earplugs are available if needed (I didn't need them). The food at the fine dining restaurant was amazingly good but sometimes difficult to eat with knife and fork (hard to secure on the fork at times, little touches such as marcona almonds not easily picked up). Great location. Flat screen TV located too far from the bed for ideal viewing, and the screen format is such that everything looks stretched and bloated. Minibar scandalously overpriced, but aren't they all? Would definitely stay here again despite the minor imperfections.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2014

As his sister hotel in New York (see my review London NYC), the rooms in this hotel are all suites. Huge suite of 70m², with big bed, couches in L, a bathroom where you lose yourself and a balcony to enjoy the beautiful view.
Gordon Ramsey from UK team in the restaurant, but I wasn’t impressed. Good but not impressive.
The roof swimming pool, as many hotels in LA, is a want to be place with big parties in the weekend. Don’t forget to reserve (in the weekend) even if you stay in the hotel. During the week days I enjoyed more silent afternoons.

Room Tip: all rooms are suites for about 70m²
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Beautiful hotel. Great bathroom and great room layout. Not the most central location to others, but I would recommend it. Pretty expensive, but very nice. The Gordon Ramsay brunch was delicious! I was here in February so did not get to enjoy the rooftop bar as it was too cold and windy, but I would've loved to!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DR540
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I recently stayed at The London for 3 nights. I was impressed before I even arrived. Prior to my stay, I was communicating with AJ in Sales and Sarah in concierge. I work in a hotel myself, and being in the hospitality industry you expect great service- this is exactly what I recieved. AJ was a pleasure to speak with and he helped me find the perfect room fit for my budget. Sarah assisted me with a special welcome surprise for my sister, as well as providing restaurant reccomendations.

I arrived at The London in the late evening and recieved a warm welcome from the valet attendants, the bellman, and the front desk staff. Ellie checked me in and was extremely sweet and I also met the Front Office Manager Ryan.

We stayed in the London Vista Suite on the 8th floor. It was spacious, clean, and beautiful. The bathroom was huge with two shower heads and a deep bathtub where you can actually stretch your legs.I was delighted when I saw the keurig machine and free wifi in the room. Most luxury hotels make you pay for wifi, so I was pleased. There was a balcony over looking the hills with a view of the most gorgeous sunset and sunrise.

We stayed during the BCS Championship Game so you would assume the staff would be unreachable, but it was the exact opposite. When I called room service for ice, I had a knock on the door within 10 minutes. The entire FOH staff was alert and prepared to help at any moment. We were lucky enough to snag Frederic, the house car driver, who dropped my sister and I off for dinner. He was just lovely!

Great staff, great location, and wonderful accomodations. I would absolutely reccomend the hotel to anyone looking to stay in Hollywood/LA.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#5 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The London West Hollywood at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!