Holiday Inn Express - West Sacramento
Motel 6 Sacramento West(West Sacramento)
US$69
US$80
RodewayInn
Vince's Motel(West Sacramento)
  • Restaurant
Sky Ranch Motel(West Sacramento)
Flamingo Motel(West Sacramento)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgrocery store across the streetcovered parkingroom was cleancomplimentary breakfasthotel is locatedwould stay here again
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This HI Express is ok but not what we have come to expect from that chain. Most disappointing was the Wi-fi that never materialized so I was grateful for my smart phone 4g. The room was small but cozy. There are lots of fast food restaurants nearby within walking distance, and property is very close to freeway and handy to downtown.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This was a 4 day return business stay. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Check-in was fast.

The room was fairly large, clean, and fresh smelling. Carpets were clean. Flat Screen with about 70 channels and a good picture. The work desk was medium size, well lit, and had convenient electrical outlets. Microwave & Fridge.

The beds are fairly soft, but comfortable, and the room was quiet, considering it was near the highway. Heat/AC was effective, and the Free Internet connection was fast & reliable.

Large bathroom with good water pressure, and lots of hot water. Breakfast was the standard HIE Breakfast witch was good.

The Fitness center was very nice and well equipped, with machines & free weights. Business center was small, but I don’t need a lot of room to sit at a computer for a few minutes to print out a couple of copies. I didn’t use the pool, so I won’t comment.

The neighborhood isn’t the best, but for a Business stay, if the hotel is secure, that’s fine by me. There’s a grocery store across the street, Convenience Store next door and some fast food near-by.

I will return on my next job assignment.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Very comfortable place. Very clean. Very nice staff. Convenient to downtown. Very good value for the price. Would saty again. Stay in many hotels all ove the world. For the price it's better than most.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I have to agree with some of the reviewers on here that point out that this hotel is getting much higher ratings than it deserves. Considering the improvements made to most Holiday Inn Express properties in the ast few years, this hotel lags behind in many ways:

When I review a property I rate based on multiple criteria and then average my ratings to give an overall review. This helps people see how I feel about specific aspects of the hotel. I also like to mention that I compare hotels against each other no matter where I am. I don't give allowances for being in a certain location. The hotel business is global and so are my reviews.

My Ratings:

5 Stars - Excellent. Best you can get anywhere.
4 Stars - Above average
3 Stars - Average
2 Stars - Below Average
a Star - Awful

Exterior:

Decent looking hotel, and looks fairly new. Brick and stucco it lacks any interesting design but is not offensive either. Most of the parking is underground which I like. The grounds, if you can call the limited space around the hotel grounds, are clean and tidy. The hotel sits next to an ugly gas station, and ugly storage complex, and an ugly strip mall so these detract from anything the hotel has going.

Overall rating: Average 3 Stars

Service:

Nice people, the guy that checked me in was a bit short and cranky, but not rude. The breakfast lady is very nice. Overall, just average though.

Rating: Average - 3 Stars

Location:

If you are here in this location, you probably have some reason to be close to something. Otherwise I have no idea why you would ever stay in this area. The port is nearby and there are a couple restaurants not really worth mentioning. The area is plain ugly, a cross between 70s strip mall and industrial 1950s. There really is no where to walk if you like that or much else really. Probably the worst part of this review is the location.

Rating: Poor 2 Stars

Interior - Lobby and such

It's small (which doesn't bother me) but clean and nicely furnished. Too dark for me (what's up with these hotels trying to look like a mens club from 1918) and a bit busy, but otherwise nice. The TINY business center is clean and ok, and the breakfast room is fine. Still, nothing but average.

Rating: 3 - Stars

Hotel Amenities:

Nothing much here. The laundry is in the garage and there is no gym which drops the rating to below average. There is a cross between a hot tub and a swimming pool, which seems to make it not either... The hotel has decent, but not great, WiFi as well.

Rating: Below Average - 2 Stars

Room:

Decent room. Nothing to shout out about, but it was clean, everything worked, and it had a window that opened. I really like windows that open. The AC/Heat was a bit weird tended to either make it really hot or really cold. The bed was nice, not great. I hated the way they made the bed though. Had to practically unmake it every night to even get the sheets and blankets up around my neck. The room had a fridge and a microwave which is nice. Still nothing special here.

Rating Average - 3 Stars

Breakfast:

Awful, just awful. The worst I've had for a complimentary breakfast in a long time. Plus it really never changed. How many time can one eat biscuits and gravy (biscuits that were baked around the time of the civil was and are so stale they will NEVER soak up the gravy). The cereal is so stale and so sugary and processes I could eat it. Fruit must be a dirty word save bananas and coolest thing in the breakfast room (the pancake machine) was broken most of the time. If you are vegetarian there is little to eat and for vegans forget it.

Bad Bad

Rating Awful - 1 Star

Environmental Concerns:

Surprising for California this hotel seems to care little for the environment. The only thing worth mentioning is that the rooms had motions switches ad CFL bulbs. Other than that there was no mention of a towel policy and it appeared that they changed my towels every day. Cups and such were styrofoam and plastic. There was no recycling or composting and everything in the breakfast room was styrofoam and throw away.

Rating: Poor - 2 Stars

Rating: 2.375 rounded down to 2.

Notes: There are a couple more hotels around this neighborhood and they are actually worse. There are much better places another mile or 2 away and I'd recommend going further out.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ryynoo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - West Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Dear ryynoo,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our hotel staff service and room amenities. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. However, it sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the breakfast selections and other aspects of the hotel service you encountered. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and will use the valuable feedback you’ve provided to further improve our products and service.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the exceptional service that we are known for and to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I travel a fair amount for business & pleasure. Prior to a recent business trip, I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel. Great AAA rates were offered for the weekend. Clean, client and location is well situated close to I-80 and downtown Sacramento/Old Town/ Capital. Hotel exceed my expectations by quite a bit. Staff were very friendly and accomodating. Highly recommend this location if you are looking for good value close to downtown Sacramento, yet accessible to SMF airport and the East Bay area.

Room Tip: 3rd Floor is a good choice!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo