“Best Sushi in Thousand Oaks”
Review of Kaminari Sushi - CLOSED

Kaminari Sushi
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A message from Kaminari Staff: Thank you all for supporting our restaurant through the years! It has been our absolute delight in serving you with the #1 best- rated sushi in the Conejo Valley area. Without you all we would not be here today and we would just like to thank you for the support and love you have given us! Authentic Japanese cuisine and sushi that rivals Japan's best. The owner / head chef moved to CA from Japan in the late 1970's. He opened his first family-owned restaurant and has since flourished and transformed to what we see today at Kaminari Sushi. Now with over 30 years of experiences and memories of sharing his dishes to the locals and visitors alike, there's no other that takes so much pride and care to creating beautiful & delicious sushi with great service. From exciting & new sushi rolls to the delicately cut fresh fish at its purest form, we cater to every hardcore sushi lover or newcomer. Please join us and experience a little slice of Japan!
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We have tried almost all the sushi bars in the area, but finally stopped trying others when we found Kaminari. Kaminari is beyond excellent, it is the absolute best sushi in Thousand Oaks area. The fish is always fresher than fresh. The preparations are incredible! The Chef's are friendly, experienced at their craft. They are very attentive to everyone, you always feel welcome and taken care of. The fish is extremely fresh, flavorful. The portions are perfectly sized. Some of our favorites are: the spicy yellowtail on crispy rice, yellowtail with avocado and jalepeno, Green Lip Mussels, Ama Ebi, Spanish Mackerel Sashimi with the bone cooked, Hamachi, Unagi, Uni, Spicy Tuna Stuffed Avocado with Crispy Onion, Seared Ahi with Crispy Onion, Sea Bream, Salmon, Salmon with Mango, Halibut, Uni is always fantastic! They also served a scallop appetizer that was very decadent. The sushi and sashimi is also served traditional too. FRESH FRESH FRESH and the Chef's don't let customers sit and wait to be served. Love this sushi bar. We dine here at least three times a month because we are local. Highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Sherwood, Agoura Hills, Newbury Park. Freshest sushi in the area, guaranteed.

1  Thank whocareswhoiam

Reviewed 20 July 2013

OK, so I'm picky about my sushi. Lets get that out of the way up front. We wandered into this small restaurant tucked between Subway and Taco Bell, not really sure of what we were getting. Once inside this tiny sushi restaurant delivered in a big way. Half the crowd sits at the counter and the rest wedge themselves happily into small tables, and then the show begins.

From quality of fish, to preparation, and service/attention to detail, Kaminari is a huge winner. We sampled several of the rolls and a variety of sushi, washed down with an Asahi SuperDry and I swear I was transported to a small sushi stall in the legendary Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo where I had my last best dinner of sushi.

One can skip the 11 hour flight to Tokyo and simply step into this unassuming place and enjoy the meal. Full dinner for two came to $99, including beers and appetizers. We ate large and left sated. When in town, this is a big winner!

Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

This was our first time at Kaminari, and it is only 1.1 miles from our home! I discovered it through Tripadvisor and was excited to try it out with my husband for lunch. I had the Thunder Roll my husband had the Red Dragon. Both were fantastic. We will definitely be back and took a menu so we can order take out. Highly recommend for fresh sushi.

1  Thank Gamyleigh
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This is my favorite sushi restaurant in all of Southern California. Howard, the chef, only serves the freshest fish. He is VERY talented!

1  Thank Jennifer A
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My husband and I are pretty snobby when it comes to our sushi, and this tops all sushi spots in Ventura County. Owned by a kind Japanese couple, the entire staff is knowledgable about fish and truly skilled in their sushi craft. If you have someone in your family or group that isn't into the raw stuff, there are plenty of cooked items to choose from as well. Howard, the owner, goes to the fish market daily and personally selects the fish he serves at his restaurant. Top quality! Buy the sushi staff a beer or sake to show them your appreciation once you've dined with them!