“Quirky, full of history and character ”
Review of Howard Creek Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westport
Howard Creek Ranch
Ranked #2 of 3 Westport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights, in the Sun Room. It was a fun and fantastic stay overall and a much better room than I was expecting: clean, beautiful furniture and fabrics and in part of the property that was packed with history and sympathetically kept in a traditional style. I found it charming and rejuvenating to be away from bland hotel-style decor.

The breakfast was good and filling, people were interesting and helpful, the beach is great, the wifi worked well for us (turned off at night, which was fine).

If you like old stuff and can deal with some imperfections (a bit musty in places and clearly a work in progress in some of the shared spaces in the barn), you should definitely come. It's rare to have access to such a special place which is a real labor of love and a testament to the hard work Of the owners.

Thank you for having us!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CatherineS_10

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We arrived very late, 10:30 p.m., but Sally left us directions to our room along with some flashlights. We were tired from a very long drive so having to get back in our car to drive to the carriage house made us a little grumpy. We made it though and when we walked into our Redwood Suite we were instantly charmed and all our grumpiness left. There were many strings of twinkle lights placed around in a way that softly lit and showed off the suite in the best way.

I will say the hot tub out our living room door was kind of grubby, but we never planned on using it and it does sit outside in an I sheltered area. The blackberry bushes on the trellises by the hot tub were laden with ripe, sweet fruit.

We walked to the ocean at midnight and were accompanied/led there by a sweet little gray kitty, who led us back to the gate upon our return then ran off into the night.

The bed was comfy. We left the window open and heard the surf crashing all night. We were able to see the super moon through the skylights. It was so relaxing.

The bathroom is tiny but they make good use of the space by placing triangular shelves in all the corners. I had plenty of space for all my hair stuff and make up. The shower did not have a handle on it and it took some playing to get the water temp adjusted, but I finally got it where I wanted it.

Breakfast was so fun...family style with other guests. We thought it was delicious with six types of fruit and plenty of it. Our biscuits were hot fluffy and seemed homemade. Real butter and yummy jam. There was an egg dish. I don't like eggs but it was tasty. The sausage was not greasy and had good flavor. Fresh squeezed orange juice and hot strong coffee were perfect. We sure enjoyed our table mates.

We made some friends and took turns showing each other our rooms which was great fun. By the time we left we saw most of the various accommodations, except for the beach house and the rooms in the main house.

We enjoyed our stay and wished we could stay longer, but we were expected elsewhere. We will go back and hope to eventually stay in every room or cabin. This would not be everyone's cup of tea. If you like a high end, pampering, pristine place with all the modern conveniences this may not be for you. If you enjoy something different and quirky and simple you will love this place.

Oh....in the bathroom. We had to let the water run for a very long time for it to warm up enough to shower since I don't do cold showers. It bothered me to waste so much water with the current drought situation, but I like warm water.

I tried to see if we could return on our way back down the coast but there were no vacancies. We were disappointed. But we will try again later in the year.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our two story Redwood Suite. We didn't hear anyone else and slept very well.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Judy M
Reviewed 10 August 2014

OK, we know that some people find this place "charming" and "rustic" and "relaxing" but depending on your point of view other appropriate words which are just as accurate are "run down," "musty" and "like staying on a construction site." As long as you know what to expect, the place is fine, but really, the web site gives one no idea how beat up and odd this place is. I was amused by the focus on the "organic jam" for breakfast, which comes with a healthy dose of indoor mold judging by the odors as you step into the ramshackle buildings.

The buildings are in very poor shape, but at least the bed was clean and our fellow guests were nice. But one night was enough. I wish the owners well, they have their work cut out...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Simon T
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have been coming for several years now and absolutely love it. if you love perfection, dull rooms that look just like the one next door, or no individualism, please stay somewhere else. This is a place that makes you feel like you are getting to go see those great relatives that have the great place to run and play at. I have never felt so comfortable and accepted. delightful company and conversations with people who are interesting and love to share their home with you. Okay, like everyone's home there are things to be done, but guess what? you don't have to get up and repair, or paint, or pull weeds.......that's their home....................you get to relax, and this is a delightful place to do just that! No, if you have nothing to do and feel that the internet is your only salvation, try picking up a book, or engage in conversation. Dirt roads? come on, this is a wonderful place in the country that is an excellent place to unwind, release your creative spirit, and yes, watch sheep,, pet the cat's, eat a nice breakfast, and talk to great guests and wonderful wonderful people who live and work at Howard Creek.

Room Tip: We love the Walden room, nice access to outside, big room, good amount of light.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fern b
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I found the Ranch on the internet and booked the beach house for myself, husband and son (19). My husbands parents were also on the trip and stayed in the blue room, I think. We arrived on a gloriously sunny day and crossed the little footbridge to get to the carriage house. First we were slightly put off by the run down exterior but as soon as we were inside I couldn't stop smiling. It was as if we had slipped into a different century with all the lovingly collected antiques, quilts and so on. We did light the fire at night, barbecued and even used the outdoor jacuzzi. We loved it! Breakfast was ample and for a sweet tooth like me heavenly with delicious maple syrup and pancakes. If you are waiting for toast, you'd wait a long time. I sat on the beach with my coffee flask and just watched the waves, worth while mentioning is that the fabulous coffee was found in the fridge, thank you, slipping off into another world altogether. So if you are an old romantic who appreciates charm and isn't surgically attached to your phone you will love this place. If you want wifi and mod cons, well just don't come. The negative reviews I have read here really are all about it being a bit old and rickety, well to me that was the special charm.

Room Tip: Beach house was my favourite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MarinaBrumpton
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We loved this place. Originally we had planned a vacation of no plans and only booked a few nights to start our week. We fell in love and ended up staying most of the week . We had the meadow cabin :) and we had the time of our life. It is rustic and not perfect and that was perfect for us. The outdoor jacuzzi tub on the back porch surrounded by your own private flower garden was my favorite!! A close second the super comfortable bed with awesome pillows. We loved visiting with Sunny and meeting new people. We had our own private concert our last night while drinking hot chocolate on the balcony. We were relaxed and truly got away from it all. It was a lovely time and we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracik2011
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This place is not at all like what is shown/described on their web site. The pictures are very misleading and the description of the building and grounds did not match in the least the reality we encountered during our stay. The historic farmhouse appears to not have been cared for in years and looks abandoned from the outside with mold, moss and rotten wood. On the inside the rooms were dark, damp and moldy with a decor to match. In what is the most bizarre lay out ever seen, there was a shower (yes a shower) with a mostly see thorough enclosure, in the kitchen - which also happened to have a bed next to it. The upstairs was filled with old dusty items strewn about in what appeared to be a set for a B rated horror movie. Definitely one to stay away from.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Wjones6

Been to Howard Creek Ranch? Share your experiences!