I was very excited to stay at Montegufoni, but by what seems to be the luck of the draw, we got the smallest unit in the castle, il Camino. Others who used Groupon to book as we did, got much larger, 2 bedroom units with as we were, 2 guests staying.
The bed was very uncomfortable. They placed a wooden board with slats between the box spring and the mattress. It didn't help much, a new box set would help immensely. I know it's a 12th century building, but that is no excuse for holding onto a really old beyond repair bed set that had some kind of Asian motif which went along with a wall mounting at the head of the bed. Seeing how other units were equipped, there was no excuse for this bed even with it being part of the smallest unit. Mattress ticking (again an old mattress) scrapped my elbow raw turning at night.
Also, stop and buy/bring a roll of paper towels, dishwashing soap, and a bar of soap and bottle of shampoo. They provide a tiny bar of soap and 2 tiny containers of shampoo, good for only a day of use. Also, no hair dryer was provided, but the bathroom was very good.
The wifi worked well from the large reception room and exploring the castle and the surrounding grounds was fun and interesting.
We ate dinner at the castle 3 nights, twice outdoors, once indoors due to wetness . We thought the 4 course meal (25 euros each), bottle of wine (7 euros) and bottle of sparkling mineral water (2 euros) was a good value. One night, the first three courses featured wild boar, very delicious. Three other nights we ate in nearby Montespertoli, all good meals.
We drove to Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, Volterra. But for Florence, we took the bus from Baccaiano (nearby), buying bus tickets at the Tabacchi, and parking all day in a free lot down a side street.
We drove a 5 speed diesel 4 door Fiat, part of the Groupon deal, and driving stick was very useful for all the up the mountain down the mountain S curves going from one place to another once you were off the autostradas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- geo confirmed as Montegufoni ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK) and Cancelon so you can book your Castello di Montegufoni reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Di Montegufoni Hotel Montegufoni
- Castello Di Montegufoni Florence
- Castello Di Montegufoni Province Of Florence