“Great Stay!”

Baechtel Creek Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Willits
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I was doing business in Willits and needed a hotel for the night. I was driving through Willits and saw the trees with lights on them. I'm really happy I decided to stop. The hotel staff are awesome and attentive. My room was very clean and nicely furnished. The bed was so very comfortable. It was a great stay! I returned the following week with continued business in the area. The staff was happy to see me again. I will be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Margaret H: Thank you so much for finding us - we are tucked off the Hwy - hence the tree lights to brighten our guests way! We appreciate your positive feedback and will commend all our front desk for their great customer service. We will be happy to welcome you back again!

Jan Rodriguez

There are newer reviews for Baechtel Creek Inn

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We spent two nights here while driving down the west coast. This is an unpretentious place, with a helpful and friendly staff. The room was quite comfortable and reasonably spacious. Breakfast came with the room and was more than ample. The cooked oatmeal, along with multiple toppings, was great. There was also a tasty egg/mushroom/spinach concoction and very good coffee. Both my wife and I got massages from their spa and they were unequivocally the BEST massages we have ever had (we generally have ~6/year). If we come back to Mendocino, we will be happy to stay here agin.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yogaman1234
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Sir, Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Baechtel Creek Inn and Spa, and I will pass on your comments to our spa staff. On behalf of my staff and I we thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We we going to a party in rural Willits and chose Baechtel Creek Inn for a night. The hotel is nice and probably the best one in the area. While I really wanted to love the place, there were a few shortcomings.

The outside temperature was pretty frigid for California (31F) when we arrived. After a quick check-in, we got to the room via outside stairs. I'm not sure if there's an elevator as the clerk didn't mention it. If there had been ice, these stairs would have been treacherous. When we got to the room, the heater had not been turned on and the room was freezing. A nice touch would have been the heater turned on. However, since people will request room changes at check-in, I can understand this. We set the temperature up and left for our party. When we returned, the room was warm and we went to bed. However, the heater was incredibly noisy. We didn't discover this until the middle of the night. I mean, it was banging all night. We didn't get much sleep. While we could have packed and changed rooms, it was too late and too cold to do this. I fault ourselves for suffering through this. We unfortunately weren't able to have breakfast as A) there was confusion over the service hours from both the check-in clerk and signage and B) we got down after the actual service time.

The bed wasn't bad, a little hard for my taste but in good shape. The bathroom is in need of attention. The tub and shower are the worst. For those people that are over 5'9" you'll have problems. The shower head is extremely low and it took a lot of bending and turning to get clean.

I would consider staying again but don't see myself running back to that area any time soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear DCC617:

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your scores of 4 for cleanliness, service, sleep and location.

We have had unusually cold weather here in Mendocino County, as have most parts of the country and understand that the rooms can get cold. We cannot, unfortunately, turn on heaters in empty rooms because many times guests want to change their room - maybe being downstairs instead of up, etc at checkin and you can understand that this would mean the hotel staff would be running around turning on and off heaters! However, the good news is hotel rooms heat up pretty quickly as each room has its own unit.

We apologize that your unit seems unusually loud to you. Sometimes guests will sit on the casing and loosen it and apparently that was the case with your heater. We went in after you mentioned this to the front desk and corrected this. We wish we could have done this prior to your night's sleep!

Our bathrooms are currently in the process of being redone - we are ripping out our existing shower unit and putting in new ones - so we definitely are correcting that problem!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope you will come again!

Kevin Spears

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Like Cara, I was stranded in Willits on my way to visit my daughter in Arcata. When I saw snowflakes in Ukiah, I thought, "How cool," but it became less so waiting for an hour to go north on 101. As it started getting dark, I finally turned around, scared, sad and not knowing what I would do or where I would stay. I parked and went into a flower shop to ask if they knew any hotels. They called one that said they and all the other hotels were full but said I could sleep in the parking lot and use their restrooms! Then the flower lady called Ashleigh at Baechtel, who had just gotten a cancellation. However she couldn't reserve it for me, since it was first-come, first-serve. I begged her to keep it for five minutes, since I was just four blocks away. Hugging my flower lady, I headed down as fast as the snow would permit, only to get stuck six feet from the turn into the neighboring MacDonald's. Since the road was closed south also, all the traffic was backed up with cars full of people needing a place to stay for the night! Finally I inched up and found my room was still there because a basketball team that couldn't make it from Ukiah had cancelled seven rooms, all of which were gone within a half-hour. To Cara's point, I think the owner was deluged with requests he couldn't fill. He may even have been trying to keep the last room open for me. In gratitude, I offered to share with any later solo women travelers, which could have been me out in the cold, but hotel policy didn't allow it. I hope others weren't similarly stranded. But instead of spending a desperate night outside, I stayed in a beautiful warm comfortable room - for which I'm extremely thankful to Ashleigh and Arcelia, the flower lady. Next time I'll stay there by choice!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
JanBaechtel, Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Hello, my name is Kevin and I am the manager of the hotel. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to tell us how we are doing and for your generous words, The day you were here was certainly an eventful one for all of us and I am very happy that we could be there to assist you. I hope the rest of your traveling was safe for you. We look forward to seeing you again. Have a great day.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was on my way from Oregon back to Sacramento and decided to stay in Willits as a good halfway point. As I was passing all the motels and wishing for a hotel all of a sudden I saw a welcoming sight to the right. Lots of white lights adorned the trees and nestled inside a dead end street was this wonderful place. The front desk was incredibly nice and friendly both upon check in and the next morning at breakfast. I got a great rate as I was offered the manager discount as well as my AAA discount. We also got a full breakfast in the morning included with eggs, biscuits and gravy, cereal, oatmeal, as well as a fresh waffle bar and more. I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

We are glad our "lights" beckoned you in and you found us tucked back off the Hwy. Thank you for noting our staff service - they do appreciate recognition! We are glad you enjoyed your room and our breakfast and hope to see you again!

Jan

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I've stayed here a few times when traveling through Willits. It is nice and quiet, clean rooms. In room coffee, microwave and fridge. The morning breakfast included with the room price is so much better than anywhere else I've stayed. the eggs were fresh, and it catered to both vegetarian and non vegie tastes. Usually a nice peaceful place to stay. The only negative thing I can say for my most recent stay, was that I checked in at about 6 pm after a 12 hour drive, and when I got to my room, the motel maid was still finishing up with housekeeping. By the time I gathered my luggage, she was done, but not sure why it took them so long to get to the room. I heard another guest who was given a room at about the same time, and her room had not even been started for cleaning yet from previous guest. Other than that, I will always use this place when traveling this area.

Room Tip: There are a couple of fast food restaurants right in front of the hotel property.The property is ver...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We appreciate all our return guests! We apologize for the lateness of the rooms being cleaned. Unfortunately we have had some flu among employees and it caused a bit of a backup in housekeeping last week. Issue is resolved!

Thank you and look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

After a very long trip along the 101 north, we stop in Willits to stay for the night because it had been snowing and the road had closed for the evening. After a few unsuccessful attempts at finding a room we stumbled across this place where the very lovely Ashleigh who was at the front desk accomodated us. She was very helpful! But let me back up for a second. As we were pulling into the driveway a man was standing at the front door giving a hand gesture to us like he was saying "no availibility". Being very confused by this, we park and go inside where he approaches us at the front desk while on his cell phone saying to us "we have no openings!!!" Now Ashleigh has already helped us, so I say to him " yes there is-she already told us there is". At this point he gets flustered mumbling things under his breath to where I reply " what does it matter to you anyway?" And this is where it gets good.... He says "I'm the owner!" Wow.... Just wow.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cara L

We understand the frustration during the hectic "snow" storm in our area. As you can imagine - things here at the front desk were hectic because we had people that could not get here for their reservations - actually a basketball team was in process of cancelling during that time and we had to make sure that we finished that step so we could then let people in the lobby know what exactly we had to sell so that we didn't oversell.

Deepest apologies if you felt anyone was rude - I personally was not there because I could not get up the hill - so have heard conflicting reports - however, whatever the case - customer service is of top priority to us and I apologize if you felt you were treated anything but kindly!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willits
The Old West Inn
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Hampton Inn Ukiah
Hampton Inn Ukiah
#1 of 15 in Ukiah

Been to Baechtel Creek Inn? Share your experiences!