“Yummy!”

Dining options: Reservations
Eureka
“Yummy!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We met some friends who were also traveling as a meeting point. The salads we ordered were fresh and delicious, the dressing came on the side which was great. I didn't care for the caesar dressing, but the blue cheese dressing was dynamite! The hot dog was huge and a comment was made of how good the bun was. Our girls really loved the french bread pizzas. The only complaint was we came in about 3:30 and they close at 4:00...the service was very lacking. We had to ask for our water even though we were the only ones left in the restaurant, we had to keep asking someone other than our waiter for things even though our waitress was in the kitchen talking with the other workers. Very poor service, however maybe if we came at a busier time it would have been better? The floor was also in need of a vacuum but again we came at the end of the day and I appreciated that they had outdoor seating for the summertime. The food however was extremely fresh and reasonably priced so the next time we are in Willits I can't wait for my daughter and I to take my husband and son to try it. The family we were eating with went to have lunch here again a week later on their return trip home...worth a stop!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank makjms

Boise, Idaho
“Great Find!”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We read reviews before our North Coast trip, and settled on The Loose Caboose--not just for the diners' reactions, but because I'm a railfan and liked the motif. I missed the street, even though Samantha (Garmin) told me to turn, but she brought us back around the second time. It's a tiny street, and the curbs are confusing (all painted red), but we parked a block away and hiked down the alley.

This is a small local restaurant which doesn't take plastic (ATM inside, though). We liked the homey feel, and chose to eat inside instead of on the patio (it was warm that day). Great menu, and we chose a couple of hefty sandwiches, part of which went on down the road with us. Delicious! When our server, Jack Jackson, approached to clear the dishes, I jokingly asked if there was a discount for fellow train men. He reluctantly said no, but a few minutes later brought a special gift to take with us. We were simply dumbfounded! I didn't know what to say--no one, EVER, in my long life of dining out has made such a generous gesture. He and the owner pitched in together to make our visit a memorable one.

While I can't guarantee such largesse for each customer, I will tell you that the service is great and that you will enjoy your meal. Good prices, good food, and extraordinary service. Thank you, Jack!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank SeniorCPO
Denver, Colorado
“Narrow streets but worth finding!”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Found this restaurant with Google while driving through Willits. Many different sandwiches to choose from, but since we are gluten free, had to go with a salad. Thinking we might need something else, my wife and I decided to share a chili dog. Big mistake. Not because of the taste, because it was delicious. But we didn't need anything other than the salads. Enormous portions with plenty of chicken.
It got very full at lunch time, so if you think you are going to stop there, call ahead.

1 Thank robert d
chico
“Great local flavor”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Great quality food and selection variety. Wife had an excellent Sana Fe (or southwestern) salad, and I had a very good pastrami sandwich. As others have noted, it is a little difficult to find (look for the stand up sign near the sidewalk. You walk in through a small outdoor seating area to what looks like it could be a back door, but it is the front door....

1 Thank Mark S
Edmonton, Canada
“Hard to find, worth the look!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

While looking for a spot to grab a bite to eat on the way through Willits, we stopped in Safeway thinking we could buy food only to find it was a pharmacy only. The very nice lady behind the counter suggested we try the Loose Caboose, it was close, just a block up.

Well it was great. Located just around the corner from a burger place, it was full of locals and understandably so - the food was fantastic.

The menu was mostly sandwiches, but they also had salads and a whole selection of hotdogs as well. The variety was such that it satisfied a vegetarian in our group and at the other end of the spectrum the meat lover raved about the special - braised beef sandwich.

One word of caution - CASH ONLY, but they do have an ATM inside.

Also, for those who like to soak in the details, there's plenty to satisfy the curiosity, right down to the railway spike holding the toilet paper in place!

1 Thank sed8mepls