“WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER! Rude Fraud owner Jerked 3 reserved double rooms, stranded 6 of us! filthy room!”
Review of Travelodge Willows

Travelodge Willows
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Willows
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Recently I attended a big car race event at Thunderhill Raceway, near Willows, CA. All hotels were sold out. More than 2 months prior I had reserved one double room for Thurs-Sun, and 3 double rooms for Fri-Sun at the Travelodge, Willows. I arrived Thursday, and my 6 friends were arriving Friday. When I checked in Thursday night, lobby was sweltering hot, not air conditioned, under construction and stunk of paint. Whatever. Was told that internet access was via a cable they would loan me, but they didn't. I got my card keys, and went around back to my room. The card keys were printed with Baymont Inn graphics, which is the next hotel up the street. On the way to the room, it looked like I was driving through a bombed out ghetto on the way to the room, with broken furniture, mattresses and box springs, drywall and lumber debris strewn all over the sidewalk for much of the way there, right outside many of the rooms. Haven't they heard of a dumpster?
When I got in the room--at least it had furniture in it. But the security latch on the door was literally broken off. Comforting, hunh? I needed a shower and sleep, so whatever. The bathroom was dirty--like the shower mat had big mold splotches on it; there were hairs and dirt on the sink counter and the floor, ants crawling up the bathroom wall, and there was what looked like blood smears on the wall above the side of the toilet. Ew....it's getting worse. After a quick (don't-touch-the curtain-or-wall) shower, I called the front desk to get the cable for internet connection, as the CAT-5 cable that I brought didn't let me connect. No answer. I tried from the hotel phone, and from my cell phone. Nope, no-one there. OK, no last email that night. Needed sleep more...The bed pillows were very small, almost square. Seemed kinda strange, but whatever... Got a short nights sleep and headed out early for the track.

That night, Friday, when my friends were checking in, or I should say trying to check in, the lobby was closed, locked up tight. No one there. This is maybe 10:30 Friday night. Another couple showed up to check in, too, and after some expressions of frustration, they mentioned that this had happened to them before, and the Baymont Inns lobby had keys for the Travelodge. The group headed to the Baymont Inn, and the night clerk called the owner, who owns not only both the Travelodge and the Baymont Inn, but also the Holiday Inn Express there in Willows. My friend got to speak with the owner, a woman possibly named Christine. He was told that there were no rooms. We had the printed reservations with confirmation numbers; she said that there were no rooms. The reservation stated that without cancellation by 4 pm the day before, my credit card would be charged for one night; "Christine" said that I wasn't charged; the charges were refunded when they rented out the rooms. We told her that the issue wasn't want the money, we needed the rooms that were guaranteed to us by the reservation. She insisted that there were no rooms, and this debate went back and forth as she tried to dismiss us. This continued until she was told that if she didn't find us rooms, we were going to call the police and charge her with fraud, and she would have to get her-self out of bed and come down to the hotel and face us. After literally 30 minutes of arguing this point with her, she called her network, and found us rooms at the Blue Gum Inn, about 5 miles north. We got there and checked in close to midnight.

The Blue Gum Inn is a rustic little place, but the owner/night clerk was there and pleasant to deal with, and the rooms were clean, if a bit dated. A couple of us stayed at the one Travelodge room that I had checked into Thursday night, but the remaining 6 of us had to relocate.

The icing on the cake was I met a couple at the track Saturday, who had a room at the Travelodge, and had checked in the afternoon before. The woman had a printed reservation for a smoking king bed room; they gave her a double queen bed room. She insisted that they wanted the king bed room, and after some argument, were given one, and the person behind the counter mentioned that they had a few rooms available because some “guy has too many rooms reserved.” That “guy” was ME! And I didn't have too many rooms reserved, I had enough for the group of us that were intending to stay there.

To top it all off, I got a phone call that Saturday mid-day, in the heat of working on cars, mid race. The person (I didn't catch her name) asked if I still needed the rooms that I had reserved, for Saturday night. These are the rooms that I needed the night before, of course. Since I was rather busy working on a race car, I told her that I couldn't talk, but I was very upset that she had not honored the reservation that I had made months in advance. She told me to call if I wanted the rooms, and hung up on me.

NEVER AGAIN! I strongly urge you to find an alternate place to stay, any place other than the Willows Travelodge, Baymont Inns, or Holiday Inn Express. A person in the hospitality industry who will sell a room out from under a reservation has no business being in the hospitality business, and the best way to communicate this is by sharing the information. Please feel free to tell everyone you know.

I'm sorry that I had to learn this; but the service at Travelodge Willows, CA is HORRIBLE. The worst treatment I have ever had at a hotel in any country. Stay at the Blue Gum Inn! They're nice, and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jim D

Reviewed 12 July 2012 via mobile

I didn't even get unpacked!! I walked past the bed and got jabbed in the leg by something. I pulled up the bed skirt to see a ROCK holding up the bed and the frame coming apart (see picture). I walked to the bathroom and passed by a large melted hole in the carpet (non smoking room BTW). I used the bathroom, only to witness several bugs on the wall above the bathroom door.
That was it. I packed up my bags and laptop and left. Horrible.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank FFontheroad
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I am really glad I did not read any of the reviews before staying at this hotel. They are renovating the hotel and I have stayed in a number of rooms over about a 2 month period. Each room was very nice even if it had not been remodeled yet. One of the pools is closed (they have two) but the other one is very nice. The owners are very nice and work with me as I have a somewhat difficult schedule when I am in Willow. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who may be in the area and need a place to stay. they are next door to a good Mexican restuarant, across the street from Mc Donalds, Dennys, Black Bear and 2 mini mart gas stations. Microwaves and refrigerators in every room. Right off the freeway. Great location.

Room Tip: Even though many rooms are being remodeled, there is no disruption from noise in the morning. All ro...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tome M
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This is a very tired hotel. It is currently being renovated, and it really need it. It's clean, but that's about it.

Room Tip: Give them 6 months and things should be better.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jaltaman
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My husband and I have stayed here with his family for an annual family reunion we have every November. In the beginning years this property was semi-decent. In recent years the lack of caring has taken its tole.

The rooms are disgusting (and I don't throw around that word lightly) and unclean! Mine and my husbands particular room had burn holes in the carpet, a huge hole in the wall (which someone tried to patch and just left it unpainted) and a large crack running down the wall as well. The paint job itself in the room overall looked like my 2nd grade neice had done it. The bathroom looked like it maybe had been swept, definately not washed down. There were cobwebs in the corners and other peoples hair on the floor. The mirrors had water spots all around and the counter looked barely wiped down. I wore my socks while taking a shower if that tells you anything! And, good times-- the toilet didn't flush properly and flooded twice; sorry cleaning crew! Needless to say, my in-laws room was no better with simalur cleanliness issues.

To top it off, our room was on the other side of the ice maker, which was broken. So instead of removing it (or, hey, here's a novel idea, FIX IT) they just unplugged it. So by not putting an out of order sign on it, guests would simply plug it back in. That being said, after a considerable 'warm up period’ of loud rumbling and humming, the sound would turn into a jet engine, which sounded like it was landing IN our room. THUD! THUD! THUD! over and over and over against our wall. Finally after an hour, and not knowing it was the ice maker, I called the front desk (mind you it was almost 1:00am) and the 'oh so helpful' lady at the front desk says, "Oh, hmmm, must be the ice maker. It's broken, so we unplugged it and then people just plug it back in and then it makes that sound. All you have to do is go outside (again, 1:00am) and unplug it." Seriously?! THAT was her solution. After I told her what she could do with that idea, ultimately, SHE made the sound stop!

Now, while I recognize that we are in Willows, CA, not really Four Seasons rated. I still think it is reasonable to expect a decent room!

In any case, if you ever find yourself in the wonderful little town of Willows, CA, be forewarned about the Travelodge and find another hotel! A tent out in the many corn fields would be better!

M

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank M D
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Not the fanciest but clean, roomy, comfortable. Was several high end property at one time obviously but still OK for someone wanting good value, including a breakfast, basic though it may be.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We found this hotel by bailing off the interstate after a long day's drive. We just needed a place to rest for the night before continuing our trip early the next morning. Very friendly desk person who referred us to the Mexican restaurant next door - which was a great place to eat without having to get back into the car. This is an older motel and we had some issues with poor electrical outlets, but nothing that required the front desk. The internet was hard-wired and also proved difficult to stay online.
We slept just fine and moved on as planned the next morning. We probably would not stay at this particular location if we were ever travelling through Willows in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple