“scenic time-travel”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Willows
Northern California
“scenic time-travel”
Reviewed 23 February 2008

I've stayed at the Blue Gum several times for a winter birding adventure at the nearby National Wildlife Refuges. The owner is very accomodating and pleasant, and the setting is idyllic: a resident Mockingbird scolds from a tree near the pool, well-kept rosebushes surround the central grass area, and there's fine birding across the road (Highway 99) along the river and trees. It's well-priced and though it's not the latest in hotel decor, it has all the basics (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee) plus very comfortable mattresses and it's QUIET! Having stayed in Willows once, this is a real plus: it feels remote, like a place I'd have stayed with my folks on a family trip in the 50's, and is blessedly far enough from I-5 to spare you the truckers' noise all night long.

• Liked — Peace and quiet, great birding on-site, uniqueness (not an anonymous chain motel)
  • Disliked — I would like the owner to have more customers - for her sake!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Birding_Fan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
northern california
Reviewed 25 December 2007

After spending three nights, at a very busy, directly on the freeway, felt like we were sleeping in a closet, with our pets --
THE BLUE GUM MOTEL was indeed a welcome sight !!
All we needed it to be, our room was clean and it was huge -
and right next to the open field for our blue heelers to run
It is secluded and so wonderfully quiet, just what we were needing after a holiday weekend.
The owner was very friendly (as she has been every time we have been there) and made sure our stay was top notch
We will surely be returning as often as we can.

• Liked — QUIET
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank cashiningstar
michigan
Reviewed 30 November 2007

Mouse droppings in the sheets!!!! Stay away!!!!!

Stayed November 2007
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 October 2007

I was looking forward to staying here because so many reviewers said it was clean and a great value. There was a dead cockroach on the floor in the bathroom. Something that looked like dried up feces stuck to the carpet and lamp cord near the bed and some other misc. stuff (like goldfish snacks) that should have been vacuumed up. The furnishings are run-down and in poor repair. My 3 year old leaned on the night stand and it fell over, toppling the lamp on top of her.

The beds were comfortable and the bedding smelled clean.
But, there is no excuse for the filthy state of the rooms: junk on the carpet, peeling furniture, crud on the shower doors...and who knows what invisible gunk they missed.

The location is nice. I recommend driving by for the view, then going to motel 6. I made the mistake of staying here because I thought Motel 6/Days Inn would be too dirty.

• Liked — The location, away from I-5, is nice.
  • Disliked — The rooms are filthy.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank limendoz
San Francisco
Reviewed 28 August 2007

I spent a couple of nights at the Blue Gum as part of a short rural getaway, and really enjoyed it. It's on a stretch of old Hwy 99 that is now just a quiet country road, and traffic was light even in the daytime. It's named for the eucalyptus trees, and it is surrounded by large trees of different kinds, a creek alongside the motel grounds, and flocks of birds flying overhead.

I sat by the pool to read in the sun, listened to the birds and watched geese fly over, took several walks around and near the motel, and enjoyed the wonderful flowers and landscaping. After dark, I went out to star-gaze without city lights to spoil the view.

During the full day I was there, I went to see some of the tiny nearby farming towns and to the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge about 10 miles south. It wasn't bird migrating season, but I did see tons of geese and other waterfowl, several deer, and a few hares. For anyone who loves wildlife or enjoys natural surroundings, this is a paradise.

The owner is cordial and very knowledgeable about the area. She told me about the neighboring towns, local wildlife, the nearby historic Carnegie Library, and all about the defunct restaurant next door. Apparently the Blue Gum motel and restaurant were the social center of Willows in the 50s and 60s, and folks came from a hundred-mile radius to celebrate and stay over. Some folks even had their honeymoons there, and I could see why they would pick such a beautiful and restful place.

I'm going to mentally file this as a place to go just to "escape" from urban life. It's only about 3 hours from San Francisco but feels like another planet.

• Liked — Natural surroundings; quiet, peaceful country setting.
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank Frisco_Roadrunner
Reno
Reviewed 8 April 2007

Great value motel. A big, clean room with a comfortable bed and strong shower. We both slept well, then sat at the small table by the window, drank coffee and and watched the birds fly from palm tree to rose bush to cypress tree. The staff was friendly and helpful. We'd definitely stay there again.

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank TheVendingTech
British Columbia
Reviewed 24 March 2007

Searched out this lovely little place after reading other reviews. We were not disappointed and very much enjoyed our stay. Although an older motel, it was spotless and very well kept. The owner was extremely helpful and gracious. The setting is breathtaking with beautiful eucalyptus trees surrounding the property and a swimming pool set in the very middle. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at a the El Dorado Mexican Grill (one of the best). What an enjoyable stay!!

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sanpal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willows
Best Western Willows Inn
Orland Inn
Orland Inn
#1 of 1 in Orland
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Been to Blue Gum Motel? Share your experiences!