“What motels were like in the 60's”
Review of Blue Gum Motel

Blue Gum Motel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Willows
Vista, California
“What motels were like in the 60's”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I both liked and disliked the Blue Gum, it's that kind of place. It has a very 60's motor court feel to it probably because when time stood still there. It's on rarely traveled stretch of hiway 99 a couple of miles off the well traveled I-5 which now has almost all of the motels and leaving most places like this shuttered. It really is amazing that it is still in business. It has well tended grounds that are probably quite beautiful from spring into fall. The rooms are ok, somewhat well used and have an ac/heater unit that sound something like a 747 in the room. The lady that greeted me at the front counter was very nice and this really made the difference between a 2 and 3 star rating. In short, it's very inexpensive, has a really nice staff and well kept grounds however it is in sore need of a significant update to the rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jim m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Northern California
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Stay here for the gorgeous full-sized pool surrounded by a big lawn and shade trees! I brought my favorite folding lounge chair and several books and hardly moved for four days. It's perfect for a summer get away. The rooms are just so-so but it's great to have your own microwave and refrig. The price is really reasonable and it's easy to find (about 1 mile east of I-5). I plan to go back sometime.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank lindamae10
Reviewed 23 May 2012

This is a pretty little motel just off the 99 Highway and close to Willows. I loved the 60's feel of the U shaped courtyard and pristine pool in the middle.
It's quiet, clean and charming.
You can't beat the rates at around $60 a night, depending on how many beds.
Bring the family and spend the evening around the pool enjoying the true motel experience of your (ok, my ☺) childhood memories.

Room Tip: Just ask for the right amount of beds to get the right room. All rooms look fine and the pool is onl...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura154945
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We found this a quite place in the middle of eucalyptus trees from which it gets it name. We awoke to the sounds of birds not traffic - well worth the short drive into Willows. It is located between the Farm Sanctuary and Sacramento Wildlife Reserve: both worth visiting. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: all rooms are quiet
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Leaburg, Oregon
Reviewed 22 August 2011

This used to be a stopover for us on our way south from Portland every year during the 1905s and 60s, prior to the days of Interstate 5. Not much has changed, except for us. Clearly our standards for hotels are higher than they were back then, but we still enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are clean and the grounds are maintained. At $42 a night, it was a bargain. The manager/owner at the front desk was helpful with restaurant information. We would recommend the Blue Gum if you're in the mood for a nostalgic night on old highway 99W, just east of Interstate 5.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Douglas M
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This motel is a great deal. We have stayed in many inexpensive places and they are often dumps, but the Blue Gum Motel exceeded all of our expectations. It was one of the most quiet stays I've had in a long time, and the place was very clean and very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dyrima
Oregon
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I searched on Trip Advisor before I chose here. I am glad I did!! The $42 rate was very reasonable. The motel is off the beaten path so it is VERY quiet and feels like you are out in the country even though I-5 is not too far away. I felt very safe and secure. The rooms are big and have bonus amenities like a Fridge, Micro, Coffee, extra snacks, etc... The shower is hot with excellent water pressure. The beds are a little old but still very comfy. I found no bugs, trash, etc...in the room. It was very clean and tidy. Sure the decor is late 1970s/early 1980s but so what??

I arrived here late at night after driving 8+ hours. I was exhausted and hot. The sweet innkeeper lady was waiting up for me because my husband called ahead and told her I'd be there and she got worried when I was 2 hours late. She was very friendly and even let me go take a dip in the pool. I asked her if I could check out late and she said take as much time as I needed. I wound up checking out a little after 2. She came out to my car to check me out so I didn't have to get out of the A/C. What kind of service is that? One that I rarely ever see at any "Chain" hotel. I would definitely stay here again, easily.
The only thing I would recommend is that if you are hungry is to stop somewhere and grab your chow before you get to the motel and bring your food with you because there's no food places, mini marts, etc...for a few miles. And this was also recommended by the innkeeper because she didn't want us to wind up having to drive miles again to find food when we had just driven the hours we did.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Noodles913
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willows
Best Western Willows Inn
Super 8 Willows
Super 8 Willows
#2 of 8 in Willows
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Been to Blue Gum Motel? Share your experiences!