Blue Gum Motel
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrose busheshighwaymotellandscapingflooringdesk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 April 2009

I decided to stay here based on the positive reviews this motel received. Something has changed here - new owners? I had second thoughts when I tried to check in and I was told to come back later, because there was nobody available to help me who speaks english. My room was dirty and dingy with cheap and ugly 1970's carpet and furniture. There were holes in the cheap 1970's drapes. The sheets were too small for the bed, and were very thin and worn out. The bottom sheet was a flat (not fitted) sheet, which means it did not stay tucked in. The bed was very hard, and tipped to the left every time I moved. I thought it was going to fall over! It was cold in the room, and I found that I had to crawl under a counter to turn on the dust-covered heater. All of the lamps had 25-watt flourescent light bulbs, which means I did not have enough light to read. The only cable TV channels were CNN and HBO, and the HBO guide in my room was for the previous month. The water faucet in the bathroom was leaking and sprayed water all over the room every time I used it. The swimming pool was full of greenish-brown water. I would not recommend this motel to anybody.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank SQ1845
Reviewed 12 March 2009

We'd had a great experience at a tripadvisor-recommended motel elsewhere in January so decided to give this place a go. The owner/hostess was very nice, but we discovered, after we'd moved all our gear into the room, that the bed was broken (VERY noisy when we sat or moved on it), the sheets too small (they pulled loose whenever we turned over), and the once-orange carpet was dusty and stained.
In the middle of the night, we were awakened by a very bright light and loud beeping, which turned out to be the microwave (which we hadn't used), that had come on by itself. We couldn't turn it off so unplugged it and went back to our noisy bed.
Only 3 other guests that night...

Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NUmpquaDoe
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I decided to book this hotel after reading the comments for a trip south - it's just to sleep so I don't need anything fancy and the combination of price and such great reviews we thought we'd give it a try.

First of all, the lady at the front desk was kind - so those reviews were certainly not wrong.

The rest of the stay really didn't meet even the low expectations that we had set - we needed a clean room to sleep in and it was a bonus that there was a pool for the kids to play in after a day in the car. From the minute we drove up to the very run down exterior we knew it was not going to be what we had read in these reviews... The pool was closed on a 90 degree day so 4 disappointed kids with lots of energy to burn had to be entertained. Secondly, the rooms were not clean - draperies were torn, the carpet was so old I was afraid to walk on it without shoes. There were flies on the ceiling and the draperies were see - through after the sun went down and lights went on outside. On the upside the linens were very clean and the shower pressure was good, but that did not make up for the rest of the room. We ended up going to dinner and walking around Walmart for longer than we really wanted to just to not have to lounge in the rooms and even though we had a shorter drive the 2nd day, but we were up and on the road at 5am just to get out of there.

The rooms were all full which suprised me at the end of the day, but it was a funny sight to see all those trying to use the "free internet" sitting in the opened doors of their rooms at 10pm trying to get signal.

Overall, very disappointing - I should have stayed at the motel 6 for $25 more......

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank waauntie
Reviewed 1 October 2008

What a find! Thank you Trip Advisor, and those before me that wrote such descriptive, positive reviews. The Blue Gum Motel lives up to all of the good things written. On my way to Oregon from So. Calif. it was the perfect spot for my overnight stay, and I would definitely stay there for an extended amount of time if Willows was my destination. The wonderful experience began with my phone call to make a reservation, was even better (if that's possible) at check-in, and continued through a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed, nice clean room, and lovely surroundings. The owner is so very sweet , sincerely caring and helpful...like having a concierge at the Blue Gum. Many, many thanks...I'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2008

This motel is great. My husband and I live in Chico california and we have stayed at the Blue Gum Motel for every special occasion since we have been married. This motel is on the out skirts of town, quiet, peaceful and very accomodating to the fishing we enjoy doing in the area. The staff is very friendly, always welcoming my husband and I no matter what time we check in. We stay at this motel on our birthdays, anniversaries or whatever we have going on that's a special occasion for us. We stay at the blue gum sometimes just to go and get away from home to be alone. The Blue Gum has many memories in our past and will continue to be great memories in our future to come. This motel has charm of it's own and I would recommend to anyone the Blue Gum Motel if I were to be asked where is the best place to stay in the willows area.
Gary and Renee Roberts

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tazzerina