“REMEMBERED WHY I STOPPED GOING TO ESA PROPERTIES”

Extended Stay America - Orange County - Yorba Linda
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yorba Linda
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I booked an overnight express deal off Priceline for this place. Although my stay was uneventful, I still felt compelled to post the following comments.

What was satisfactory:

1. WiFi was decent and free.
2. Location was right off the 91 freeway and near lots of shopping and restaurants.
3. Very quiet and secluded.
4. The clerk at the front desk was courteous and able to track down and return some items that I had left behind when I checked out.

What needs improvement or should be considered a negative:

1. The kitchen was not equipped with any utensils or plates. Why bother having a kitchen then? Having to bring my own kitchen or track down something at the front desk is a pain.
2. Priceline suggesting that this place had a free breakfast is a joke. They literally have a cart with coffee, muffins out of the fridge and fruit you wouldn't buy at a store.
3. ESAs generally lack sufficient staffing, particularly for maintenance and upkeep. My room, in particular, had an ant problem. The towels weren't exactly the cleanest I've ever seen either. The pictures posted by other guests were not exaggerations.
4. The mattress felt and sounded more like a box spring.
5. Not exactly close to any attractions or points of interest.

In summary, if you need a place to crash with literally no amenities and saving $20 to $40 is critical then you might consider this place. If it were me, I'd call that money well spent on a few extra perks.

Room Tip: Bring your own plates, cups and utensils if you really intend to use the in room kitchen.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Yorba Linda, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Mike - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our free Wi-Fi and that our staff provided you with quality service; however, we are disappointed that you were not notified of our customizable kitchen packs and that your room did not meet your expectations. We store our kitchenware in a sterile environment and allow our guests to pick the items that they would like to have in their room. Once they have designed their custom pack, we deliver the items to our guest's room. We will make sure our front desk staff is fully informing our guests of our available amenities during check-in. We're working with our housekeeping staff to make sure our rooms are properly cleaned and that our linens meet our standards. We will also contact our pest control provider to address the issue in your room.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. Please feel free to contact us directly, at lyl@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

my family booked a standard room through priceline.com. We checked in and there was no mention of a smoking room. We got off the elevator on the 4th floor and immediately noticed a power smell of smoke. We walked in our room and noticed that we were placed in a smoking room - the smell was overwhelming. we went down to the front desk and they told us that since we booked on priceline.com our rate was for a smoking room. we called priceline to tell them and they said our reservation was not for a smoking room, but that there was nothing they coulld/would do about it.
In addition to the hotel room being smokey, the popcorn ceilings were stained yellow/brown from the smoke -- the hotel looks nice from the outside, but our room was dated. Do not stay hear unless you need a smoking room.

Room Tip: make sure you request and confirm a non-smoking room (unless you want to smoke)...they will slam you...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Yorba Linda, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are sincerely sorry that we could not accommodate your room request. Your comments were reviewed by our staff, and we will work with the third party booking sites to make sure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so we really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at lyl@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had a week's business in Corona, CA, and my brother put me up at the ESA - Yorba Linda as it is located on the same exit as his home in YL. I'm a road warrior for many years, so I've stayed in a lot of hotels, both high end and not so much. The ESA YL was OK, but disappointing. Let em explain...

First, you pay for the number of nights you are staying up front. That's ok, but be prepared.

I had originally set it up for a 5 night stay, but upon my registration, I told them it would be three nights only, and I paid in full for the three nights. I just checked my Amex bill, and I have been charged another approx $100 for something I can't figure out because I can't get them on the phone. As I'm typing this, I've been on hold for 26:40 minutes/seconds asking me to patiently wait for there pick up of my call "shortly". I will let you know what my total wait time is when I complete writing this.

OK, it's a very modest registration area, so be prepared. I go to my room (325) and it's a double bed, small kitchenette and bathroom. It appears clean, but it is definitely aged. The TV is small, and the channel clarity reception is below average -- a general fuzziness of poor reception quality. Be prepared.

When I turn down the bed covers, there is a nice little stain right in the middle of the fitted sheet. Now, I will tell you that it ended up not being anything that concerned me for cleanliness purposes -- it was a cleaning or ink stain or some other stain that just made it an unsightly first impression of the bedding. The beds and pillows are ok, but not particularly comfortable, so an extended stay would be troublesome to me. Be prepared.

The bathroom is modest as well, and also aged like everything else. The towels were thin and scratchy, which just doesn't contribute to a good stay. Again, if on an extended stay. Be prepared.

When I came back to my room the next day after a day of work, my room was in the condition I left it -- bed unmade, towels askew. When I went to dinner, I stopped by the front desk and asked them about it. I was told housekeeping comes by weekly, but that I could exchange towels whenever I wanted. Again, I get it -- save costs and reduce prices to consumers, but i wasn't aware of it. So, be prepared.

I asked about a workout room, and was told they had none at this location. Be prepared.

Btw, I'm on 43 minutes and holding still! Why are the Guest Relations people so busy?? Makes you wonder.

I actually ended up checking out of my room before the evening of my second night there, so I spent only one night. My brother's couch in a nice home became a much more acceptable arrangement for me, so I took it. I'm disappointed my stay at ESA YL turned out as it did. I write this so future guests can be prepared for what they will encounter. That place needs some investment dollars for updating and general guest services.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank briwood4
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Yorba Linda, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. I apologize for the wait time regarding your bill, the cleanliness of your room, and housekeeping services not being explained to you at check in. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I will be meeting with my staff to review our check in procedures and cleanliness standards. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at lyl@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Yorba Linda, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Room must not have been occupied for a while as dust was everywhere. One or two hairs, ok I get that, but hair on the sheets of both beds, pillow cases, blanket, bathroom floor, tub, kitchen floor? Sick. Staff was nice and helpful when you could find them. If you don't need a kitchen, find somewhere else. Oh, and the toaster and coffee maker did not work. My fault, I should have paid more elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Yorba Linda, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Stephen - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the maintenance issues and the level of cleanliness in your room. I will meet with the staff to review our maintenance policies and cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, lyl2@extendedstay.com.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Nice hotel clean and quiet pretty much have everything you need;only have one complaint about the shower when you raise the shower lever most of the water still comes out of the bottom,but other than that i would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Yorba Linda, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate your kind comments about the cleanliness of our location; however, we apologize that your shower was not working properly. In response to your feedback, I am currently working with our maintenance staff to get this issue resolved. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. Please feel free to contact me directly, at lyl@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Staff is hit and miss. Some are Great. But some Tell you to get clean towels you need to bring the dirty ones down for exchange, FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER been told that. Hair in shower, i was first one in and it wasnt mine. ONLY issue here is mostly the staff that seems not happy to help. WEED that out and i'd give a 5 for value and seeming clean. Tad out dated Rooms, but not bad for the Price. Some staff very nice also. But the bad is bad.

Room Tip: Bring breakfast. Very Little here
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
#105 of 118 in Anaheim
The Hotel Fullerton
The Hotel Fullerton
#1 of 11 in Fullerton

Been to Extended Stay America - Orange County - Yorba Linda? Share your experiences!