“Great meal with a few disappointments”

Bottega Napa Valley
Ranked #6 of 29 Restaurants in Yountville
Price range: US$31 - US$45
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Chef Michael Chiarello has returned to his culinary roots by creating seasonal farm-to-table Italian cuisine reflecting the bold flavors of Chiarello’s heritage in his signature style 1st made famous at Tra Vigne in the 90’s. An award winning chef/vintner & Food Network host, Chiarello celebrates his Italian roots and the Napa Valley with a menu echoing his long practice of using the finest locally/sustainably produced food. Located in Yountville, in the heart of the Napa Valley, Bottega’s extensive wine list represents hard-to-find favorites of the Valley and interesting Italian selections. Chiarello restored the integrity of an old 1800’s estate by uncovering beautiful hard wood floors, timber beams, old brick walls and windows. The inviting dining room is accented with reclaimed antiques, warm fabrics and eclectic light fixtures lending to the restaurant’s old world comfort.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I dined at Bottega a couple weeks back with some friends on vacation. We sat outside on the patio on a lovely Summer evening.

For appetizers, my wife had the Caramelized Brussels Sprouts Salad; I had the Calamari; our friends had a seafood and sausage pasta. All were absolutely delicious! They also each had enough on the plate that two appetizers would have been plenty to share for the four of us.

For dinner two of us had the lamb chops - they were plated very well and were delicious. I've never seen someone gnaw on a lamb bone like they did at dinner. They didn't want to waste any of the lamb meat - very tender, and well flavored. One of our friends had the braised short ribs. They came highly recommended by the server, and he was right, they were delicious.

I had the duck confit. This was the most disappointing duck I have ever eaten. The skin was crisp - a good start - but the meat was extremely dry. Each of us at the table had a taste, and all agreed it was not well cooked. It was like chewing on sand paper. I had to take a drink after almost every bite (perhaps it was there way of selling more wine?). The plating of the duck was also fairly drab. There was very little color on the plate (the greens were hidden beneath the duck) and it was on a buckskin-colored plate. Just a one-tone colored wash. A disappointment amidst an otherwise very good meal.

We had the Renteria 2010 Pinor Noir to accompany the meal. It was delicious! There's a small art / wine shop up the street where you can taste the Renteria wines - call ahead and schedule a tasting.

We decided not to stay for dessert. The dessert menu wasn't overly impressive by name or description.

Another slight disappointment came from the lack of acknowledgement around our reason for dining that night. We had called ahead weeks in advance and make the reservations. We were celebrating our friends 10th anniversary and one of their 40th birthdays. (They got married on his birthday.) At the table, the hostess had put two cards that said Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary, but the server never acknowledged either celebration. Not sure what we were expecting, but we expected more than nothing from the server. Maybe he would have put a candle on a dessert had we ordered a dessert?

Overall, it was a nice meal. Not an inexpensive restaurant, but for a Michael Chiarello restaurant, what would you expect? It is a good restaurant, worth the visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,597)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Amazing food. the best Italian Restaurant I have ever been too and I live in NYC. soooooo Good. there is nothing bad to say about this place. if you go to Napa Bottega is a must.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My spouse and I went to Bottega Napa based on the reputation of chef owner, Michael Chiarello. The entire experience was even better than expected. Menu items and drinks were unique and fairly priced. Service was outstanding! Next time I'm in Napa, I will definitely go back!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went to Bottega on a friend's recommendation after a day of wine tasting. Make sure to use Open Table to get reservations well in advance. The food was good but pricey! The Ricotta Gnocchi della Nonna was excellent! Light and tasty. The Polpo alla Griglia (octopus) appetizer was out of this world! Cooking so tender. Very surprising! The Pollo alla Diavola sul Mattone chicken ($28) was baked chicken. The Maiale “Spagnolo” alla Griglia (roasted pork) ($32) was ok. $25 corking fee for any bottle of wine you bring is excessive and unattractive. $15 glass of wine is over the top after being out in the wineries all day. This is a very upscale restaurant. Well appointed space. Good service. The food is good just probably would have eaten somewhere else.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We have family in town and we normally go here or r & d since we can walk ..have had the private room got my birthday w girls ..took my sister here , sit in patio by fire for apps and drinks..a great spot w yummy food ..yountville can be crowded and trendy w bachelorette parties(yuck) but mostly it is middle aged folks who don't need to flaunt it so much.. And enjoy the finer things..always enjoy it here..but yes bring am ex w no limit as it will be pricey-not French laundry or as hoc pricey.. But you are not in Kansas anymore ..this is napa valley and if the beckams and kardashians come here..us regular people have to pay..