“Losing a little luster”

Villagio Inn and Spa
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
Reviewed 23 February 2008

We have just spent 2 nights at the Villagio for a mid-week getaway. This is our 3rd visit to the Villagio in the last 7 years, and unfortunately, it seems to be showing it's age. Rooms seem a little worn, and down-at-the-heels. Bathrooms are sparsely decorated with only a few amenities, bathrobes are clean but have been over-laundered. Carpeting and paint need updating. I got a good rate (February, mid-week, so not high season) of $195/night, but had I been paying peak rates, I would have been sorely disappointed.

This being said, king beds were very comfortable, the in-room wine cellar had a nice selection of little-known wines, hotel staff is very helpful and courteous. Gym facilities are off-site, at a community fitness center, so be prepared to wait for a treadmill or a bike. Breakfast is included and is a very nice spread. Try the bread pudding!! Outstanding.

Overall, not a bad place, but compared to my first two visits, has declined a bit. Definitely not luxury accommodation, but an acceptable place to put your head.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelvixen9

Reviewed 28 December 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Villagio for our anniversary in October. We have stayed at many 'boutique' hotels as well as high end hotels and this hotel was neither. It is basically a glorified motel off the highway.

I had heard that the hotel was under construction and called the hotel a few weeks prior to our arrival to request a room away from the construction. They said my request would be accommodated upon arrival. When we arrived at the hotel, they told us that despite our request, the only rooms they had available were actually near the construction. We didn't get any sort of apology from the manager and we got zero acknowledgment that it was our anniversary (even though when I booked it, I let them know. Unlike our stay in the Hotel Vitale in San Francisco where upon arrival we were greeted with cards, flowers, and champagne for our anniversary).

Our room was definitely spacious and had nice smelling molton brown products, but the room was far from clean. There were ants in the room and the furniture & paint was run down.

The "Champagne Brunch" was terrible - stale bagels, bread, hard cheeses, powdered eggs and over done sausage. We did take advantage of the pool area which was actually well kept. The hot tub was nice and we reclined on the big couch like lounge chairs.

On our second day at the Villagio, we received a message on our phone saying we had an "amenity at the front desk". Any hotel we've ever stayed at has always had the amenity waiting in our room when we arrived (such as complimentary bottle of champagne). We called the front desk and asked if the amenity could be delivered to our room but they insisted we must go pick it up. We were leaving on a plane so at that point we had no need for whatever it was they were going to offer us.

Luckily, we were there in Yountville to tour the amazing wineries in Napa so we didn't spend too much time in our room. The only advantage to staying at the Villagio was that it was walking distance to some of the best restaurants. We ate at Bouchon which was amazing. I would also recommend Auberge du Soleil for dinner (ate the best Risotto ever there).

All in all, our stay at the Villagio was mediocre and we were very disappointed with the facilities. But, we loved Napa and the town of Yountville so we had a terrific time regardless of our experience at the Villagio.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sjtenem
Reviewed 17 December 2007

Our weekend trip to Napa. Just few days to get away before the crazy holiday season. The hotel entrance and lobby was very nice. The room we had was on the upper floor which was quite large. The dressing area and the bathroom was very nice with 2 vanity and a very large bathtub. The dimmer lights in the bath area is definitely a nice touch.
The problem we has was the bed. Terrible mattress, super lumpy even with a down mattress cover. The coverlet was very heavy and uncomfortable. Unfortunately the room did not have central heating with thermostat. For a very nice hotel, we thought that the heating system was very motel like. We constantly had to turn on and turn off the heat to keep our room temperature even.
One thing nice was the champagne breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2007

don't order room service. Good to the breakfast provided. Very ice grounds and rooms. Perfect location for leaving the hotel and going to great dining or launching to the wineries. Spa could be nicer but the quality of the massage was top notch. Pool area is a little small.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2007

I stayed at the Villagio for a business meeting, and I was very impressed. Their service was top-notch, the food and coffee provided for the meeting was exceptional, and I loved being able to walk to one of Yountville's delicious restaurants for dinner.

The room was very comfortable with lots of space and all the modern conveniences (flat-panel TV, CD player with MP3 adapter).

My only negative was that my little patio overlooked the parking lot and then the highway. There was constant noise from traffic well into the night.

But a bottle or two of local wine will make that all go away... I was pleased with my experience at Villagio and would go back.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2007

Stayed here with my husband for my Birthday last month and had a great time. The hotel was a bit pricey for being right off the freeway, but the location makes up for that. Most of the hotels that are hidden and private have nothing around for miles. We walked to lunch and dinner both days we stayed. The room was great, beds were very confertable. The bathroom was beautiful. Loved the huge tub. I did not hear the construction once on our stay. However we did hear every person that walked by our room. The walls were obviously not that well insulated. I heard every step and word that went by our room. Luckliy it was a slow time and their were not many guests. Didn't bother us since it was seldom we heard them. We ended up paying more for a room than we had anticipated, but we enjoyed our stay. Great hotel, only draw back is that it is over priced.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 5 November 2007

I just returned from my 5th (or is that 6th) stay at the Villagio, and, as always, we loved it. We checked in early, about noon, and was able to get a room immediately. It had a welcome bottle of champagne, a working fireplace, comfy bed, plenty of lights (a pet peeve of mine is not enough lights). The sink area had a large double sink and a separate room with the toilet and bath/shower (always a plus).

The staff was incredibly helpful in arranging last minute dinner reservations and finding us a florist to use. In addition, after a fax I was supposed to receive never arrived, they opened up the business center late at night (around midnight) so I could get what I needed).

Included in the price of the rooms was a buffet breakfast (with a decent -- but not a large -- selection of food. There was also high tea from 3-5 (while we did not go, when we the bellperson mentioned tea and scones and my wife said she really anted a scone, he arranged for 6 scones to be in our room when we arrived). And, as if you might not have had enough wine, there is an evening complimentary wine tasting.

The facilities are very nice, with a warm pool and plenty of chairs for the sun. We have never used the spa (so we cannot comment) and the business centere is good (2 computers and a printer).

I have stayed at both ends of the valley (both in downtown Napa and Calistoga) and prefer the Villagio's central location, making it not too far from any wineries. Plus, there are a number of very good restaurant in walking distance for the last few bottles of wine at dinner (on a related note, get the Strawberry shortcake at Hurley's on Younville during Strawberry season (March-October). We missed it this trip, but it is incredible.

To comment on a review about being close to the highway, I have had rooms in the past that face the highway and sometimes you can hear the cars. However, this trip we had an inner courtyard and could not hear anything.

Also, a note of caution, they are currently doing construction (I think to expand the spa). We were there on a weekend, so there was no construction going on. As a result, I cannot comment on what time the noise begins and how loud it is.

We reservation note, you should call even if the website says they are booked. I checked on-line and got no availability. My wife called later the same day and got a reservation.

We will return to Napa Valley and the Villagio Inn will be our first choice for the return

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sm122097
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yountville
Hotel Yountville
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer
Andaz Napa
Andaz Napa
#4 of 30 in Napa

Been to Villagio Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!