“An Excellent Stay and Beautiful Property”
Review of Bardessono

Bardessono
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fremont, California
“An Excellent Stay and Beautiful Property”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

There could not be a better located hotel for anyone serious about food. This property is right in the middle of Yountville, and all of the favelas restaurants are just a short stroll away. But don't overlook the food at the hotel...which is also superb since they have rather stiff competition with all of the town's most excellent restaurants. This hotel features a lovely common area with a large courtyard surrounded by water, where it is sheer pleasure to sit with a drink or coffee. The staff here is exceptionally well trained and helpful, the grounds and rooms perfectly clean, and the attention to 'green' and sustainability is mission #1. All great. The only thing that was not perfect was my ground floor room was not as private as I would have liked. The staircase going up to the second story rooms in the building had a view into my "private" walled patio and bedroom. This was the only flaw. Had I had a second story room, or a patio with true privacy, this would have been a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Some of the downstairs rooms are not as private as one would want. There is a staircase going up to...
Green Features: Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is a set of rating systems for the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of green buildings, homes and neighborhoods. I value the LEED certification of this hotel.
1 Thank Ono O
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Ono O,

Thank you for staying with us and posting this thoughtful and detailed review.

I would be less than honest if I didn't admit to being a bit disappointed by four circles instead of five, but completely understand your rationale. We are reviewing all sightlines in the hotel, as privacy for our guests is of utmost importance to our guests and us.

We hope you otherwise enjoyed your stay and appreciate all the nice things you said about us. And we'll be sure to have an upstairs room for you next time.

(On a personal note and having spent some of my career on Kauai, "ono" is such a great word in Hawaiian - it means "really good" and is also the Hawaiian word for the delicious fish - Pacific wahoo. When I saw your name it brought back great memories. Thank you.)

Kindest regards from all of us at Bardessono.

Jim.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Probably the best place to stay in Yountville. My wife and I just spent three wonderful nights at Bardessono and would go back in a heartbeat. If you are going to stay in Yountville, this is the place.

Staff - were very accommodating at every turn. Always seemed anxious to help you with any request that you might have.

Food - We dined at their restaurant called Lucy and I was served the best Halibut dish I've ever had. It was very fresh and flavorful. Each morning there is a coffee set up at the bar along with complimentary Bouchon Bakery pastries.

Spa - I had a massage in a very nice setting. Great therapist.

Pool - Rooftop! The young man working the bar service was simply outstanding. He relocated an umbrella for us to use and it was extremely heavy. He was on the ball.

Maid Service - the maids were very accommodating and never interrupted us.

Gym - Very small but I got my workouts in.

The hotel offered a shuttle service to all of the local restaurants and shops. The vehicles were either a Lexus or another type high end vehicle.

If you go to Yountville and stay at Baredesso you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces inward to the courtyard area in order to avoid cars driving by on the outs...
1 Thank Gibono
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Gibono,

Thank you for this detailed report card. We really appreciate your nice comments about our staff, pool, food, spa services, housekeeping, Fitness Deck, and our cars/shuttle service.

We're glad you had a good stay, and hope you'll return soon and often to have many more.

Warmest regards from all of us at Bardessono.

New Jersey
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I spent three nights at Bardessono and it was an amazing experience. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. The staff have an incredible way of making you feel very special...each interaction they truly seemed to be interested in your day, your plans, etc. While a beautiful and high end property, it is not stuffy at all. We would like to point out how great the valet/doormen/bike getters/chauffeurs were...these guys were so nice and helpful. They really are the backbone of this operation and we appreciated everything they did for us..so helpful.

Our room was in the 'Cypress' block of rooms and we loved it. It was modern, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was huge and the outdoor shower was a nice treat...my husband used it everyday. When else can you shower outdoors amongst nature?! Our room was spotless each day and the turn down service was done very well.

We spent a good amount of time at the pool and loved it. The cabanas are very nice, they offer complimentary sunscreen and the pool waiters provided great services. The food was good and I loved having a few 'green leed' drinks poolside...very tasty!

We did not have dinner at Lucy, the on site restaurant, but we did have breakfast there twice. The service was prompt and the food was very good...you could certainly taste the freshness and quality of the ingredients. We also had a few night caps at the bar and that was a nice experience as well. The service was good and enjoying the drinks outside near the fire pit was very relaxing.

Lastly, the hotel facilitated the shipping of our wine to our home. We completed a form and left the wine in our room. The 'jack of all trades' doormen got it from our room and a few hours later we received the UPS tracking number. It was very reasonably priced as well.

All of the little touches (welcome glass of wine, water bottles with bikes, complimentary sunscreen, purified water in the room, quality toiletries, etc) along with the impeccable service make this hotel one of the best we have ever stayed at. It was an experience, not just a hotel stay. We even saw a celebrity staying at the hotel! The beautiful town of Yountville and Bardessono made this vacation a memorable one.

1 Thank LB1202
Dear LB1202,

What a great review. Thank you so much. You wrote a detailed essay about your experience here, and touched on so many of our attributes. We're all delighted that you had such a wonderful time at our hotel and the great little town of Yountville. This is a special place, indeed.

Above you mention our staff, particularly our valet team, our bikes, rooms, outdoor showers, breakfasts, pool, and all the little touches we do to delight our guests... and shipping wine purchases for our guests is just one of them. And celebrity sightings here are not uncommon, though we fiercely try to protect their privacy, as we do for all our guests.

We hope you'll be back soon and can't thank you enough for your support and friendship.

All best wishes from all of us at Bardessono.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We just held a business conference meeting at the hotel and everything went perfect. When we arrived, the GM was at the front desk handing out wine to all of our guests as they checked-in and the hotel's staff took impeccable care of our guests throughout their stay. The hotel is one of a kind in look/feel but it really is the staff that made our event run so smooth. I would definitely recommend this to any group looking to host a small/medium retreat that will impress even the ficklest clients.

Green Features: The hotel grows much of its own vegetables and has LEED Platinum certification
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank keith m
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear keith m,

Thanks so much for staying with us and posting this great review. As I recall, I was at the front desk pouring wine, because a several of you arrived at the same time, and I wanted to free up our front desk staff to focus on getting you all checked in. They are good at that, and all I'm good at is pouring wine.....

You were such a nice group to serve, and easy, too. We really enjoyed having you here, and hope it won't be too long before you return.

All the best from all of us at Bardessono.

Oakland, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I’m not really one for reviewing businesses on social/review sites. However, seeing as (despite my accountant’s eye rolling), Bardessono has become a very regular haunt for me on quick getaways, I thought I’d weigh in – having become very familiar with the place.
The first, and most key bit, is the staff and their ability to execute on service. More than just great execution, however, is their being able to adapt, quite quickly, to the style of service and interaction that a given guest prefers. Personally, I prefer a rather informal style – the whole staff manages to balance that comfort, without ever crossing a line. Additionally, I’ve never gotten a sense of insincerity or “forced” service. On the other hand, I’ve seen the staff interact with guests much more formally, which I gather those guests prefer.
After staying many times, probability dictates that some bumps will happen. The way that a business handles those bumps, is a key measure of their quality and dedication. The very few that I’ve experienced have all be handled brilliantly.

As far as the grounds and rooms go, the place is pure pleasure; however, you do need to prefer a modern setting; as well as one that is in town rather than in the hills or vineyards.

Personally, I prefer Sonoma County to Napa County, on the whole. However, I can’t resist Bardessono’s call, so there I go. Just need to make sure my employers continue to like me

Room Tip: The "tufa" is more $$, but brilliant. The rooms in the groves further back tend to be more...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank David R
Dear David,

Your headline is so true. You've stayed with us fifteen times, and this is your first review. There is no one more qualified to talk about us than you. In some respects, you know our hotel better than we do....and certainly from the perspective of being a guest.

I can't thank you enough for sharing your many experiences here with others in the above review. You very articulately described for others what this place is all about. We are not for everybody, but we are for most. Our vibe is contemporary, and our service is tailored to each individual guest, as all guests are different with respect to the amount and type of engagement they want with our staff.

We so appreciate your loyalty, support, and repeat business. Napa Valley is wonderful as is Sonoma Valley, and we're delighted and honored that we are your preferred residence when visiting our two Valleys.

All the best from your huge fan club here at Bardessono.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We loved the modern decor, the relaxed vibe, the fresh and delicious food, and perhaps most of all the attentive, friendly, accommodating staff.
We did bring our two daughters, and the staff made them feel absolutely welcome and pampered.
The pool is wonderful with gorgeous views.
We loved our room, and enjoyed taking a shower outside.
The massage was wonderful, and I loved having it in the room.
I can't think of a thing I'd have differently. Really a fantastic experience overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outdoor shower.
Green Features: Very green practices - but not intrusive. Really nicely done.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Alison B,

What a great review. Thank you. You used few words to say many nice things. We're delighted you enjoyed our accommodations and service, and so appreciate your kind words about our staff. I'm really proud of each and every one of them.

You also talked about our "vibe", food, pool, in-room massages, and outdoor showers for which we are grateful, too.

Please return...soon and often. We really enjoyed serving you and your girls.

Warmest regards from your new friends at Bardessono.

Dallas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place is amazing! The rooms are beautiful, beds are very comfortable, staff goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome, food is wonderful! The location is PERFECT!! I can't say enough positive things about this place!! Loved it & will be staying here next time we travel to wine country!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Amy D,

Delighted you loved your stay with us, particularly our rooms, beds, staff, food, and location. "Perfect" we are not, but we sure try to be. :)

Your survey made our day, as do all the other really positive ones. Thank you.

Please come back soon.

Warmest regards from all of us at Bardessono.

Jim.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yountville
Hotel Yountville
Andaz Napa
Andaz Napa
#4 of 30 in Napa
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Bardessono? Share your experiences!