“Hidden Gem in Napa”

Bardessono
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I've been traveling to Napa for 20 years and tried almost every hotel there. Bardessono is in the top 2. Great location near to some of the best restaurants Yountville has to offer. The greatest staff and LEED Certified. Not to mention the rooms........Just take the chance and stay.

3  Thank Curtis C
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Aloha Curtis C,

Thank you for staying with us (I think more than once...) and posting this great review. I'm delighted we rank in your top two hotels in Napa Valley. We'll work hard on getting your #1 ranking.

Please call on me for anything here at Bardessono.

Kindest regards and many mahalos from all of us.

Jim.

There are newer reviews for Bardessono

Reviewed 26 July 2014

If you appreciate great service, polite staff, and a very zen, peaceful and upscale environment, you will love this hotel. The Bardessono has really SMART rooms, they are environmentally friendly, (blinds lift automatically when you enter the room so to keep it cool while you are away!) yet still luxurious, a very tricky combination. A great bed and large bathroom are also a huge plus. The Lucy restaurant has one of the freshest, tastiest menus I've experienced, and as a guest you can see the garden where they grow their own produce on site. The free bicycle rental was so great to go right into town and then to bike to the nearby Napa vineyards. I'll be back. A true find!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Carolyn S
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Carolyn S,

Thank you so much for staying with us and posting this wonderful review. You talked about many of the attributes of which we are proud - our staff, zen-like ambience, "greenness", location, bicycles, and home-grown food. On your next trip, though, please indulge in an in-room massage. It's a "must do" here.

Do come back...soon and often. Would welcome the opportunity to thank you in person.

All best wishes from all of us at Bardessono.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Love this hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is amazing and a great location in the center of the cute town of Yountville. A bonus that it's so eco-friendly. We'll be back!

1  Thank A W
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear A W,

Thank you for staying with us and posting this concise and very positive review. Yours is one of two entitled "Amazing" in today's batch of reviews.

I'm not sure how amazing we are, but I am sure that we try to provide a hotel and destination experience here unlike our guests have ever had. And most of our guests have stayed in some of the finest hotels and resorts in the world.

We set the bar very high for ourselves, and our on-line reputation and price points create very high expectations. It's our jobs to exceed them.

Hong Kong isn't exactly around the corner from us, but do come back...soon and often.

Warmest regards from all of us at bardessono.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Unfortunately the Bardessono did not live up to my expectations for a romantic retreat in Napa. The hotel grounds, pool area, and king spa suite felt like a cold office park. While I appreciate modern architecture and minimalist design, there is absolutely no view of the beautiful Napa countryside nor any feel of warmth or beauty. The pool is essentially a narrow rooftop patio with cinderblock walls. A few ladies were having a conversation at one end of the pool and their voices were so loud that it was impossible to read a book or do anything other than listen to their conversation echoing off the cement walls. While I understand the "green" concept of the hotel, the metal blinds that close at night or whenever a guest leaves the room feel more like metal prison bars than what one would hope for in a "luxury" environment. We had one dinner and one breakfast in the Lucy restaurant and found the food to be just mediocre.

We have stayed at three other locations in the Napa / St. Helena / Calistoga area and I felt all three of the other locations were superior. All three of the other places were much more romantic and left me with a feeling of escaping to the beautiful countryside of Napa. At Bardessono, the service is good, the rooms and bathrooms are spacious, the ample availability of bikes is wonderful; however, I do not feel like I just returned from Napa. Instead I feel like I returned from a cold, concrete office park that could have been located in any city or town.

6  Thank MadelineSeattle

Dear MadelineSeattle,

You and I have communicated outside of TripAdvisor, and I know I can't change your opinion of us, but for the other readers' benefit, I'd like to add some perspective to what you wrote above.

We are not "Cold Concrete". Nor are we in any way similar to an "Office Park". We are a contemporary luxury resort hotel, regarded as one of the best in the world. The predominant material used in our architecture and interior design is wood - Cypress, Redwood, and Walnut. Additionally, we have ample amounts of stone, steel, iron, and glass. Yes, there is some concrete here, but it is primarily in the interior and exterior flooring. The concrete used as walls at the spacious and highly-desirable pool area and on the façade of the Spa Therapy Center is made with re-cycled ash, in keeping with our LEED Platinum Certification and general acknowledgement of us being the "greenest" true luxury hotel in the world. Similarly, the steel here has a 40% recycled component, and all the wood used here was "down" wood, meaning not a tree was sacrificed to build this place. Concrete, wood, steel, and stone are common materials used in contemporary architecture, and all of ours have a re-cycled element to them.

You are right, however, about our lack of views. We are located in the middle of the Town of Yountville and have never promoted or suggested expansive views, although some of our upstairs rooms have them, and the views from the pool are breathtaking.

Our food is outstanding to the vast majority of our guests and other diners. But not everybody loves it, as is the case with any restaurant. Food quality is very subjective. Fortunately for us, ours is very highly-regarded here locally, and we're right in the midst of some of the finest restaurants in the U.S., if not the world.

Finally, for those of you considering staying with us, please spend time on our website - bardessono.com. Unlike some embellished and enhanced website representations, ours is very accurate and reflective of what we look like.

(As I reread this, I can't help but note how defensive I "sound". I think it's because I'm fiercely proud of our hotel and staff and don't think we merit this review. But Madeline makes a good point - we're not for everybody, particularly those averse to modern architecture and styling with an emphasis on being as close to nature as possible.)

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My dad and I stayed at Bardessono two years ago as we visited the wine country. We loved everything about it and didn't even hesitate to stay there again when we decided to go back this past weekend. Every thing about it is amazing! The moment you walk in you are greeted by staff and offered a glass of wine. After checking in, you are personally escorted to your room. There are delicious almonds waiting in the room for you. The rooms are always spotless and welcoming. They even have a welcome screen on the TV with your name on it. You are made to feel that you are their top priority.

Each staff member there has been wonderful. Each person has been friendly and gone out of their way to ensure that we were happy and wanted for nothing.

The property itself is like no other. The wood, water, rocks, and fountains are so peaceful and relaxing that you feel you are completely isolated from the town around you. The best part is that you aren't! We love that you walk across the street and are right in the middle of beautiful Yountville. Restaurants and shopping are at your fingertips.

Want something? All you have to do is ask! I am allergic to feather pillows and asked if I could get other pillows. I was told absolutely and asked how many I wanted. They were delivered immediately.

At night when you return from dinner you will find glass bottled water with a fresh cucumber slice or fresh lemon slice and chocolates. They truly think of everything.

We have eaten breakfast at Lucy each morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. I always stick with the spinach omelette (delicious), and my dad has enjoyed a variety of things....steel cut oats, whole wheat pancakes, and bacon and eggs.

In the bar area they have coffee and tea available, as well as some small muffins, right when you wake up. A nice thing to hold you over until you are ready for your full breakfast.

I could keep going on an on. This hotel is well worth every penny!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dryork13

Dear dryork13,

What a nice review - very detailed, thoughtful, and articulate. We should have you writing advertising copy for us. You covered nearly all of our attributes.

We're so glad you and your Dad enjoy yourselves here. We do our best to make every guest feel very special, and appreciate your letting us know that we did just that for you, not once, but twice.

Do keep coming back...soon and often. It's our great pleasure to serve you.

All best wishes from your friends at Bardessono.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is my third review of this property and my stay last week is forcing me to come up with new ways to express how wonderful a hotel this is. You can look at my pictures and others and you will see that the hotel is beautiful..even more so in person actually. We have stayed at Auberge a couple of times...both first class resorts....but I much prefer this place...walking distance to all the great restaurants in Yountville but its really the staff that makes this place special. They cannot do enough for you...from Ryan and all the guys that park your car to Katie and Kurtis in the front office...right up to the General manager Jim...these people truly care that you have the most pleasant stay possible. Its hard to describe the feeling when you stay here but its this unpretentious luxury feeling similar to what you get at places like Twin Farms in Vermont. Nothing snooty here. Its clear that a lot of care and thought is taken into who they hire and it shows. Congrats to the staff and owners of this place....we will see you again next summer!

1  Thank Mark E

Dear Mark E,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review, and for staying with us three times. We certainly work hard to always be improving. Businesses that don't embrace the notion of continuous improvement aren't sustainable over the long haul.

You were nice to call out people by name. Ryan, Kurtis, and Katie are wonderful, as are our Valet team and all the other people hand-picked to work here. We do have a great staff, and it's gratifying to have them recognized so positively. Thank you.

We're looking forward to your return next summer. If we weren't so green, we'd keep a light on for you..... :)

Warmest regards from all of us at Bardessono.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Bardessono is a beautiful property that is everything you could ask for in a Napa Valley hotel. The staff is professional and very friendly and the hotel grounds are absolutely stunning. The rooms themselves are also beautiful with elegant touches, while playing off of the natural surroundings. The rooms also encapsulate all the modern conveniences and comforts imaginable.

The unfortunate part of our vacation is that we stayed here for two days and both days I was woken up around 5:30 in the morning with a very large cracking/popping sound. The first morning this happened, I actually video taped it and brought it down at 6am to show the staff. They promised they would take care of it while we were at wineries.

When we got back, I was told it was taken care of. The next morning, the exact same thing happened. It might seem unfair to give a three star to such a wonderful hotel but when the hotel is built around relaxation and reducing stress, waking up two mornings in a row at 5:30 AM is quite ridiculous. I could have stayed at work for that...

I was also a little disappointed because the next day I mentioned that nothing was resolved regarding the noise and that they had assured me I would get a better nights sleep. I was not looking for any major concession but something to make it a little right and the staff didn't do any gesture. I was paying for two rooms at almost $800 a night, I would have assumed some type of olive branch could have been tendered.

I do love the hotel and the grounds but I am unsure if I would risk the little sleep again when the point of the vacation was getting away from it all and relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank joeiii
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear joeiii,

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience here; and I'm at a loss to explain the strange noises you experienced in your room on consecutive early mornings.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please call me at 707.204.6001. I want to apologize over the phone, as well as make amends. Our staff should have made this right for you, and, since they didn't, I will.

We do hope you'll return. Your experience here was a complete anomaly and one that won't be repeated.

Kindest regards from all of us.

Jim.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yountville
Hotel Yountville
Andaz Napa
Andaz Napa
#4 of 30 in Napa
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer

Been to Bardessono? Share your experiences!