“Fabulous gem - great service”
Review of Vintage Inn

Vintage Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
Dallas TX
“Fabulous gem - great service”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed two nights here on a bike trip. Our room was in the round little building at the end of the lovely water garden. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean with it's own little private patio. The breakfast buffet was outstanding! The pool was warm and a lovely place to relax. This is a great hotel and we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I decided to drive to the Wine country without a hotel reservation. In Napa City we went to the Visitors Center, where they were very helpful in finding us a hotel. We booked the Vintage Inn, which was based on the pictures they showed us and the "gourmet high tea" and gourmet breakfast they supposedly served.

We were given the choice of a Lower Level Exterior Room (you would be on the ground level and may be facing the parking lot or Highway 29 or Washington Street) at $ 335 per night plus tax, the Higher Level Exterior (same as Lower Level except one floor up) at $ 365 per night plus tax or Lower Level Interior (meaning your room would be facing the interior gardens of the hotel which had a lower chance of being noisy) at $ 395 per night plus tax, which actually comes to $ 450.00 per night.

We chose the last option at $ 450.00 a night gave our credit card details which made the booking fix non-refundable.

When we walked into the Lobby the "Gourmet High Tea" was going on. When I saw the offering and variety of the High Tea and what it was supposed to be, I already started to have the feeling that there was going to be a gap between expectation and delivery.

We went to our room, which was modern and nicely appointed. Great hardwood floors, nice color scheme, large bathroom with L'Occetaine bathroom amenities - the problem: The room was dark as a cave,

It was room 206. I went back to the front desk and requested another room. They informed me the only other room in that category available was 208, which was next to ours and was just as dark, so we decided to stay in 206.

We were obviously very disappointed paying $ 450 for a room we did not really like.

We went to the Concierge and asked about a place in walking distance called Maisonery, where one could do some nice wine tasting and were told by the Concierge it is open until 7.00 pm. It was 5.10 PM by then and since it was only a 10 minute walk we thought this would work great.

After we got there we learned that they are only open to 7.00 PM on weekends and close at 6.00 PM on weekdays. So much for the great Concierge being knowledgeable about places 10 minutes walking distance away.

The hotel gives a complimentary bottle of white wine, which is placed in the guest room (nice tasting wine by the way). Upon our return to the hotel I called and requested some ice so that I could cool the bottle of wine. I was told that ice was available at the bar right next to the front desk! Well thank you!!! (Remember we are not staying at a Motel 6 and we are paying $ 450.00 a night). I took the ice bucket and got some ice, only to return to the room to discover the was no bottle opener (so much for pre-arrival room check), but at least they did not ask me to come and get one at the bar, but rather brought us one.

I then called to inquire about lighting the fireplace in the room, which made the room look so pretty in the pictures. I was given over the phone instructions and told that it was really easy and should not take more than a few minutes. (Well if it is that easy and only takes a few minutes, then for $ 450 a night, why doesn't someone come and quickly light it for you?). We ended up not lighting the fireplace as we were concerned about smoke in the room, something that may not have happened if someone had assisted us.

The next morning we went for breakfast and YES, compared to a Fairfield Inn by Marriott the breakfast was very nice, BUT PLEASE do not call it GOURMET breakfast if it isn't one. You set up the expectations and then bring the guest down. Gourmet breakfast to me (sorry) means smoked salmon, a variety of cheeses, a much greater variety of fruits (you are in California), San Franciscan sourdough bread, some nicely imported hams, etc., etc.

On the buffet were some whole fruits and some sliced strawberries, when they ran out of the sliced strawberries, I requested some more, the answer: "Oh we are out of the sliced ones", I looked at the waiter in disbelief as there were whole strawberries on the next table. So I suggested to maybe take some of the whole strawberries and slice them up, thankfully they did.

The service staff at breakfast is very friendly but not well trained for example they would never clear empty plates off your table, so as the breakfast progressed more and more empty, dirty plates would pile up on your table and this was on both days.

I reached a point where I took the dirty plates and placed them on the bar counter. I provokingly asked if this was a good spot to drop these plates and I was told "yes, thank you". I did this two more times, no reaction.

The time when the service staff does clear the tables is when the guest finally leave the table, however the staff have no service trays, so they do not clear the tables that way but rather pile the plates, cups, glasses on top of each other and carry them away, not a very pretty sight and not very professional.

On the second day in the afternoon I ran into a Housekeeping supervisor in the garden and asked her for help with laundry as I had stained my shirt, she said she was not sure if they could help but assured me that she would use her radio to contact the front desk and they would get in touch with me calling me in my room. So I went to my room to wait for the call that never came. Finally I called them only to find out that they could not help me because of limited facilities, which I understand. I just wish that they had followed through on the promise that someone would contact me.

On the day of our departure I discovered that I needed roadside assistance and the front desk as helpful in assisting us to call.

Reading some of the other reviews about this hotel, I am questioning my own review as many people seem to think this is a great place.

My disappointed I believe largely comes from the expectation I had from this place due to the comments by the visitors center and paying $ 450.00 a night, a rate you pay at a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons or other luxury hotels, where you do not have to get your own ice...

If the rate was fair compared to the facilities and services, I do not believe I would have been this disappointed. I must say that I cannot recommend this hotel for any rate above $ 175.00 per night, plus tax. Any amount above that is absolutely not fair for what you get.

The response from the management after they learned about our disappointment: A standard email, thanking us for sharing our experience and assuring that they will work on improving going forward. Yipiee!!!

Under promise and over deliver, that's the way to do it and not this way.

4 Thank SanFranFan63
Fresno, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked our trip to Yountville at the last minute. There were only two hotels available to choose from, Vintage Inn looked cute and received good reviews so we went for it. This hotel pleasantly surpassed our expectations. Our room was nicely appointed, the grounds were beautiful and every staff member was friendly and helpful. What really made our stay however were all the little extras. A bottle of wine in our room on arrival, wine tasting and cheese and fruit plate in the lobby in the evening before we headed out to dinner, an amazing champagne breakfast...all complimentary! We felt spoiled! We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah K
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have to say this is one of the nicest hotels that I have stayed in around Napa. The room was beautifully decorated with a gorgeous fireplace, huge bathroom, incredibly soft beds and a free bottle of white wine. I wish we spend more time enjoying our room. The breakfast buffet has everything you can imagine, there is a custom order omelet station, fresh fruit, baked goods, cheeses and all kinds of fresh fruit juices. The waitstaff is incredibly helpful and aided us constantly with recommendations.

Yountville is a quaint little town that is located near many great wineries. You can walk all over Yountville from this hotel so a car is not needed when here. If you do want to visit wineries, other than taking expensive cabs or Uber rides, the hotel has bikes for rent. Yountville is centrally located in the valley that great wineries are within 20 minutes of driving. In town I would recommend Hill Family Estate for a tasting, and its open later than most.

I will stay here again when I return to Napa and I recommend it to all of my friends. It is well worth the price book it now, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We were located on the ground floor with a patio facing a nice grassy private area. The grounds of t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Yountville is a lovely little town in Napa Valley with many fine restaurants. The Vintage Inn is a great place to stay if you visit Napa. Service is superb, the breakfasts are to die for (although their coffee is only good for Americans), the rooms are extremely well appointed and comfortable with a big spa, wifi is provided. Of course you pay for this but that is expected.

Room Tip: all are good
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Vintage Inn. The room was spacious with a fireplace, refrigerator and big bathroom. The champagne brunch breakfast was unbelievable with all sorts of breakfast treats including baked goods, hot dishes, cheese, fruit. veggies and a cooked to order omelet station. The Bloody Mary was delicious. We only wish we had more time to enjoy all of the amenities. We ate breakfast near the pool every morning but spent the day winetasting. Water and iced tea are available in the lobby. The gym and spa are located at a sister property down the street, but we did not have time to use them. The Vintage Inn is so nice that you are torn between wanting to enjoy the amenities and winetasting. Conveniently located to many great restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a great location for your weekend getaway! The property is located in a central area that allows you to walk to quaint shops, world class restaurants (French Laundry), and numerous wineries! If you're looking for a getaway where everything from the service and surrounding areas are top notch... you have found the perfect place!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yountville
Villagio Inn and Spa
Andaz Napa
Andaz Napa
#4 of 30 in Napa
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer

Been to Vintage Inn? Share your experiences!