“Still a reliable value option”
Review of Motel 6 Yreka

Motel 6 Yreka
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Yreka
Portland, Oregon
“Still a reliable value option”
Reviewed 23 July 2010

I made my annual trip down to California from Portland, Oregon. Once again I stayed at this Motel 6. Once again, they met all my expectations. The room was very basic, but clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful. They charge for wi-fi, but only $3. It is not super speedy, but adequate for email and basic websurfing. I traveled with my dog for the first time, and that went well. They are pet-friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I have stayed at this Motel 6 at least 5 times. Yreka is a convenient half-way point for road trips from Portland, Oregon, to Northern California destinations. I have always had a decent room and experienced reasonably good customer service.

Before this latest trip, I happened to read some of the Trip Advisor reviews. There are a couple that would make you think twice about staying there. I almost booked a more expensive place, feeling worried. But then I realized that my own experience should outweigh what I read on the internet!

I booked a room with wi-fi (which is an extra $3--worth it, and not gouging like some hotels do). It was clean, comfortable and quiet. And the price is half of what I would have paid if I'd let the other reviews scare me away. The room is modest, and the small shower stall design is a little bit trying. The desk staff was nice, as usual. You are next door to a diner, and close to a gas station and a grocery store.

Moral of the story: remember to read extremely bad reviews with some perspective. I don't doubt the validity of others' experiences, but bad things do happen once in a while, and they can happen to any hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank NWbySE
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 12 June 2009

When I was en route from So Cal to Seattle, I had chosen Yreka as a point to break up the journey, and had selected Motel 6 because it was the least expensive (and prior stays at various M 6's over the years had been fine). What a mistake. The room I stayed in (#228) smelled liked vomit (unsuccessfully covered up by deodorizer), the blanket on the bed looked 10 years old and was completely worn out, and I found two dead fleas in the bathroom vanity. If I hadn't had a raging migraine, I would have demanded another room or, better yet, gone somewhere else. I got ready as hurriedly as I could to get the heck out of that creepy room. I'd called the motel right away to let them know about my experience and was promised the manager would contact me, but I never received a call. I complained on the website and was sent only a generic apology letter saying they will strive to do better in the future. Sorry, not good enough.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank traveling_indra

Travellers are raving about these Yreka hotels

Walnut, CA
Reviewed 11 February 2009

First time staying in Motel 6.

Pros:
-- Very clean
-- Bed very comfy
-- WiFi available for $2.99 for 24 hours
-- Nice family restaurant right next door.
-- 2 comfy chairs and work table in room, with roomy counter top for stuff.
-- Closet area
-- room A/C works very well

Cons:
-- No other amenities except soap.
-- Bath towels very small.
-- Small tube TV.
-- Check out shower - it's triangular in shape, the shower area. The angle of the shower head makes it hard to hit some of the body area like your legs and feet (don't try to shave in here you can't). Maybe hard for those with limited mobility.
-- 2nd floor is kinda hard to access, stairs and walkway not too walking-friendly

Stayed February 2009
1 Thank ariesgal
Santa Clarita, CA
Reviewed 1 January 2009

I originally was going to drive from Seattle to Sacramento, but due to unforeseen circumstances (read crazy traffic and an accident in Portland), i could only get as far as Yreka before getting tired. It was easy to find right off the freeway, which is why i chose it.

The lady at the front desk was very friendly and informed me not to be concerned about all the motorcycles in the parking lot. There was a police ride scheduled for the next morning...she apparently didn't want me to think they were a biker safe haven.

The parking was spotty, a few spots in the front and a larger lot in the rear of the property. If you have a handicapped placard, there is ample parking on the side of the motel. I felt a little weary of leaving my vehicle as i was carrying most of my teams' softball gear because the vibe in the rear lot was wierd...people hanging around smoking...but they were just people staying at the hotel and no wierdos from elsewhere. Just be prepared for the hike from the lot to some of the rooms.

I found my 2nd floor room pretty easily, but there are only stairs, so keep that in mind. I prefer to sleep on the top floor, so it wasn't a problem for me. At first look, the room appeared clean, but the bathroom was a little gross...something on the shower curtain that i don't want to think about what it was. Stains on the carpet, but that's pretty much standard...i just keep my socks on.

The bed was comfy enough, the tv worked, but the picture was going out, there was a small fridge and if i remember correctly, an iron and board. Good basics and if you're just there for a night to sleep, you'll be fine.

When i checked out at 5:00AM, the night clerk ducked out so i just left the key there...i really wanted to mention the problem w/the TV...but after hanging around for 5 minutes and filling up my cooler w/ice, the clerk never reappeared and i was on a mission to get home so, i left.

• Liked — Right off the freeway.
  • Disliked — Bathroom was a little gross.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank wheelies29
Stockton
Reviewed 28 October 2008

A little dingy and a little noisy. A good portion of the ladies staying there left richer for the experience.

• Liked — Just off freeway
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank StocktonMoses
Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed 27 August 2008

After a 10 hour drive from Pasadena turned off I-5 and into the Motel 6 driveway. This is a classic style Motel 6 with two story walk up. The front desk clerk was very pleasant and helpful. The room was clean with twin full size beds. Motel 6 chain is your basic just a bed and bathroom experience, there is no iron, hair dryer, in room coffee and no shampoo. I still do not understand why no shampoo it could not cost that much.

There was one problem with the heating and air conditioner having a low hum that took several minutes to stop even when I switched it off. Around midnight some hick pulled up with his diesel truck and idled it at my front door.

The motel is just off the freeway, there was no noise. Next to the property is a Black Bear Restaurant which I did not go to. The front desk gave me a recommendation to the Purple Plum for dinner and Poor George's for breakfast, both very good.

If you just want a "good clean room" in Yreka this should be your choice

• Liked — Great value for the money
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bob91024