“Wonderful place to eat out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of City Cafe

City Cafe
Ranked #16 of 152 Restaurants in Yuba City
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Yuba City, California
“Wonderful place to eat out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We have been to the City Cafe many times, and each time we have had excellent food and great service. The new owners seem to be very attentive to their clientel and stopped by our table to personally welcome us to their restaurant. We had a wonderful roasted salmon topped salad to start our meal. The portions are large, so we often take somefood home to enjoy the next day.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank rengstrom230

San Francisco Bay Area
“Better than expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

Went to the restaurant on a Saturday night with a party of six. We had no issues with service...our server was friendly and efficient. The menu has a nice variety of items and the restaurant itself is inviting. The one complaint I had was that they had a special going on for two filet mignon dinners for $50. When we inquired about it, we were told there was only one steak left. My husband went ahead and ordered it but was then charged $30 instead of the expected $25. It was also overcooked, but knowing it was the last one, there wasn't much he could do about it. The remaining five of us were happy with our meals, although none of us was raving about anything we had. Overall, a bit pricey for average food.

• Visited April 2013
Yuba City, California
“Fine dining - what a joke!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2012

What happened to your restaurant.****...!!! We ate at the City Cafe last Friday night--what a mistake. What was to be a special evening turned out to be quite a challenge, as patience is not one of my strong points. After waiting well over an hour for dinner, of course our wine was gone way before dinner was served, what a disappointment. I had the Caesar salad with chicken. The portion was the size of a side salad, lettuce was soggy and the chicken was over cooked. For $16 I received 2 cups of lettuce with ½ of a cold, dried out chicken breast! The other two members of my party were also dissatisfied with their meals and service. For a total of $78 ($88 with tip) we had two substandard Caesar salads (one with chicken), a side of macaroni and cheese, and one steak. To add insult to injury we had to wait an additional 15 minutes for our waitress to bring us our bill for signature. Of course, we had to waive her down. We will not be eating at the City Cafe again.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Katherine H
Yuba City, California, United States
“Poor Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I am EXTREMELY disappointed with my first experience at the City Cafe. I was hoping to enjoy a nice birthday celebration and was embarrassed with the experience. This was a scheduled visit that I arranged. We waited for well over an hour for our food. They first brought out two dishes, a soup and a salad with no bread. This was one main dish and one appetizer of four dishes. When we asked for bread, they stated it would be an extra cost but never mentioned that when we were ordering.

After several minutes, one person finished with their meal and three others still waiting for main courses. After I noticed that parties who sat down after us had menu items we ordered, I went back to find assistance. I was not received very well when asked if our order could be looked at. She then came to the table and apologized as they were short a cook or something like that. She offered free rolls while we waited for our food. I stated it was too late because our salad and soup was finished already.

Our meals came out about 10 minutes later when I told her we only had 20 minutes left to wait as we had other appointments to be at. All we had on the plate was a small sandwich with not even a garnish. I assume that would be extra too. I left hungry and totally disappointed with a price of a bowl of soup which was maybe one soup ladle in a shallow dish and the bread was extra. I had to give half of my sandwich to the individual who had the bowl of soup about 45 minutes prior to the others receiving their meals.

I received the check without a discount, apology or even a coupon for the next visit. Well, for me, there won't be a next visit. I understand mistakes happen as I use to be a waitress for years and understand the challenges of working in a restaurant but there was no excuse for this experience. There are ways to satisfy a customer to give them a positive experience and make them want to come back for future visits, even with errors. The way we were treated and the fact the manager or owner never came to our table was completely disappointing to me and I will never visit that establishment again. I get better service and a cheaper price at McDonald's and feel full after.

On a positive note, the outdoor patio was very nice.

• Visited June 2012
Yuba City, California
“Good food, but don't expect large portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

The atmosphere is inviting. Very few places in yc have this. The food is decent. Local musicians played live there. Patio seating available.