“A bit unusual”

Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Yucca Valley
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This place has two buildings. We ended up in the building with kitchenettes that allowed cooking in your room. The lobby of this cooker building really smelled bad, like spoiled fried fish. On the plus side the breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
BWYV3555, General Manager at Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear travel 1963

I am not sure if you requested a kitchenette unit but we would have moved you to a unit more to your liking if you and brought it to our attention. Please let us know the next time you visit of and issues when they occur so we can remedy them.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Superior hotel at close to a bargain rate. Room perfect, staff great, breakfast pretty good. It is ridiculous that I'm supposed to come up with 200 words. You said this survey should take 5 minutes and now I'm late to get somewhere. You are not permitted to use by name in any public way. Now I will just type nonsense characters so I can get where I need to be.opioijojisdoapjifod;asnslkdnfklsdnaklfjlsdjafljkasl;fjkasl;dkjflas;dkjfl;aksdjfl;kjasdl;fjasl;djkfl;asdjkflkasdjfl;kjasdl;fjl;asdkjfl;asdjkfljsdal;fjasldkjflksjadflkjasdlfkjasdlkjflsdajkflkasdjlfjkasdlkfjlaskdjflkjsdalfkjlasdkjflkasdjflkjasdlfjlsdajkfldjksafljkasld;fjkasdl;kjflsdkjafl;sdkjafl;aksdjfl;askjdflkjdls;akjflsdkajflkjasdlfkjasdlkjflsdkjaflkjsdlfkjsdlkjfl;sdkajflksdjaflkjdsl;fkjsdlakjflsda;kfjsdlakjflsd;kjflsdkjafld;askjfl;dkasjlfkjfld;askjflsdakjfl;dkasjfl;asdfjsdlkajflsdkafjasldkjflsd;akjfldas;kjfdasl;kjflksdajdfsaljkdflkjsdaflkjasdfljkdaslfkjasdlkjflasdlkfjsdflkdjldksjalsd;kjl;adfksjladf;ksjl;asdfkjdaslkjdflkjdfaslkfjdldfksjaldjlkadjfljkdalkjdljkalkdjfljkdsalkjdalfkjadslkjfladskjfldasjfdslkdfjldskjasdfla;jdfalkdfjl;daskjdsldaslfjkdldfkasjdlassdlajlasdjflkdfjaskldasjkldfasjkldsf

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWYV3555, General Manager at Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Craig

Reviewed 24 June 2014

In my 30 plus years of traveling I am impressed!

Very Friendly and professional staff who make you feel like you are home after a long trip. Very very good
rates for top notch rooms . All facilities were clean and up todate.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank ajoelxew
BWYV3555, Manager at Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a good review.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

TripAdvisor won't let me edit nor delete my last review. my advice is IF you stay here, watch your credit card statement & bill very closely.

I had to extend a recent stay numerous times. they were good about it. when they totalled out my first bill, it was correct. the second had them charging me $10 more than agreed upon. I gave them another card & explained all the funds had been transferred out of the account they charged the first time. I gave them a different card & they ran it, but it was having trouble going through. I verified the funds were available & asked Dana to run it again. she stated it was the 4th or 5th time it had happened that morning. I wasn't wearing my glasses but she assured me it would be fine & that they would decline a FedEx package I'd been expecting so it would return immediately to sender. I thanked her & left. all good, right?

I learned she charged the first card, the one I'd moved all my funds from to cover my travel expenses (my credit cards were in the missing FedEx package). when Dana called me back, she was rude & matter of fact. she obviously knew what she was doing when she charged the wrong card, stating "we're going to get our money one way or another". excuse me? she refused to reverse the charges unless I gave her another card number. I literally thought she was on drugs or lost her mind. I stated I'd be happy to pay them however they were responsible for overdrafting an account they were not authorized to charge in the first place. she refused. I asked that Gary, the hotel manager, call me. she hung up on me. I then called back & left a message with Joanna that Gary call me back. that was one week ago. no call.

I just recovered my credit cards from FedEx. the package wasn't initially refused so it ended up back in the system without a name on it, taking another 3 days to track down. now that I'm home in Texas, I will be going to my credit union to dispute the charges & in the least, have the fee refunded. this hotel is a lovely place to stay but once you leave, be prepared for a nightmare. rude, unprofessional & unethical behavior by Dana could've ruined my vacation. I don't appreciate it.

also, note Gary has yet to return my call to explain the hotel's position nor offer any kind of apology. did he even get the message? does he consider this acceptable behavior?

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 2nuts
BWYV3555, General Manager at Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Robin
I apologize for the mix up on your card and appreciate the fact that you stayed with us 5 days. The issue with the delivery of your credit cads is confusing. The staff tried to meet your requests but the timing of your card delivery seems to be the issue. Please be assured that we strive to meet all requests and it is not to our advantage, experience or intent to make a mistake. Please let me know your next visit and I will make it right with you at that time.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed in one of the suites at the Best Western and it was very clean, comfortable and the decor exceeded our expectations. The pool, though small, was very clean and a morning dip was very refreshing. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWYV3555, General Manager at Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Sharon

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the pool. Thank you for the comments on the cleanliness, I will pass those along.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a solid Best Western in a good location close to Joshua Tree National Park and Pioneertown. Staff was friendly and helpful and expedited both check-in and check-out. Room was spacious and clean, bed was comfortable, room was quiet despite being adjacent to the elevator. There is a Wal-Mart down the street if you want to stock up or forgot something. Very clean and safe property.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CR_NYC64
BWYV3555, General Manager at Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Amex Traveler
Thank you for your comments please stay with us again

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was our second visit to Joshua Tree and we had previously stayed in a theme room at America's Best Value Inn (see my review). Since we were staying two nights, I decided to try the Best Western as they offered a multi-night discount and in room jacuzzis (jetted bathtub).

Before booking, I called to inquire about the jacuzzi (I was hoping it would be similar to the ones at the Best Western Las Brisas in Palm Springs which are enormous but it wasn't.). I was told that although the tub is in the bathroom that there are shutters which open up to the main room. This was true, but while seated in the tub the shutters are so high up that you can not watch TV from the tub. It is a corner style tub which has room for two (not the biggest I've seen but not the smallest either).

Upon checking in, the first thing we did was look at the pool area. The hotel has two buildings and the pool area is adjacent to the annex portion of the hotel. We were disappointed to see that the spa (jacuzzi) was out of order. If we hadn't had a jacuzzi room I would have asked for a rate adjustment. The pool is small. The area is in the sun until about 3 pm and then it is fully shaded.

Our room was a little weird in that the bathroom door would slam shut so we moved a bench to prop it open. The bedding consisted of 4 small pillows. They looked like normal pillows cut in half. They were nice but too small. They need to give you regular sized ones in addition. There is a fridge in the jacuzzi rooms.

When we checked in the password for Wifi wasn't working but I didn't complain and found it fixed in the morning.

We didn't eat the free breakfast because we are not morning people... I did go to the dining room about 15 mins before the end of breakfast to try to bring some juice and pastries back to the room for later but they don't allow you to bring food back to your room. I understand it has to do with whatever permits/licenses they have but it is stupid. We already had brought all kinds of take out into the room. Our room was located just down the hall from the breakfast area and the hall smelled like cooking oil the entire time... it was gross. Speaking of gross, no matter what you do, do NOT get food from the 24 hour Mexican drive through next door - it is inedibly bad...

Mornings were very loud but perhaps that was just our upstairs neighbors? We were sleeping in because we were shooting Astronomy photographs in the park until the wee hours...

On our final morning, our bathroom stunk of cigarette smoke seeping in from I don't know where. Upon check out, I alerted the desk clerk (Gracie) who was very nice and assured me we wouldn't be charged a deep cleaning fee (the hotel is non-smoking) for someone else breaking the rules. We'll watch our credit card to be sure. We had planned on a late check out at Noon (no add'l charge) but left at 11 because of the smoke smell.

Pretty much what you'd expect from a BEst Western. I might stay here again since there are very few options in the area and we always seek out Jacuzzi suites, however, the jacuzzi at America's Best Value Inn was larger, right in front of the TV and in a fun kitschy theme room and although there is no breakfast the pool/spa area is nicer. I'd like to stay in Joshua Tree next time to be closer to the park, if possible.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi suites are available.