“What happened to this place??”

Coney Island Boardwalk
Ranked #9 of 12 Restaurants in Bailey
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Description: Iconic Colorado hot dog stand, serving as much local Colorado ingredients that we can, Continental Sausage, Elevation Ketchup, Rocky Mountain Soda and Maddy's Mustard. Natural ingredients in a beautiful setting served from a giant historical and hysterical hot dog. Reopened July 2016, under new ownership.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I used to frequent this place for coney island hot dogs, onion rings, fries, drinks, etc. before going to the ball park in Bailey to watch the kids play. It was always packed and no matter what you ordered it was good. That was about 14 years ago. About 5 years ago they moved the entire structure (in the shape of a hot dog on a bun) to a new location near a creek - very nice setting. New owners too. Since I had moved out of the area we went to the Coney Island only for a treat and a 90 minute scenic drive. Today my husband and I were in the area and decided to stop in to eat. We were the only two in line for about 10 minutes before the employee behind the counter said "someone" would be with us soon. We waited another 10 minutes until a woman came out of the back to take our order. A family with a baby arrived at about the same time and it was more important for her to scream, and I quote, " Shut the door, shut the door. Bring the baby in and put her on the table; or him, or it, whatever. I don't want the heat in here. " I couldn't believe she called the baby an it and I'm sure the parents didn't hear her remark. It was cooler outside than it was inside so I didn't really understand her concern. Finally we placed our order -2 regular hot dogs and one foot long, all with mustard and sauerkraut. When I heard the total I had to back up. Eighteen dollars for 3 hot dogs. No drinks, no fries or onion rings - 3 HOTDOGS!!!!!. And you guessed right - they were terrible. Between the nonexistent customer service, the uncleanliness, the prices and one of the worst hot dogs I've ever had I will not return here. It was once a wonderful, well known and much loved place - now it insults the very idea of a coney island hot dog as well as the people it serves.

3  Thank Valentirosa
There are newer reviews for Coney Island Boardwalk

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I really really want to see this place succeed. Such a neat place BUT it didn't seem very clean and the workers were unprofessional and sloppy looking.

1  Thank lacey c
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Ever since Coney Island moved to Bailey the service is the. One person on the cash register. One person gets sodas. One person on the ice cream side. And one poor soul trying to cook all of the food. The other people just stand around if they aren't working their "station". It doesn't matter that the cook is overwhelmed. A "it's not my job" mentality. Once the owner just walked around during this fiasco.
Depending on the weather and time of day you will wait a ridiculously long time in line just to place you order and then another long wait for the food.
True Story of My Last Visit-Now understand that this place is "famous" for their coney dogs. Coney dogs have chili. Ok, that's the setup.
I order a chili cheeseburger after a 20 minute wait in line. I wait another 15 minutes before they get to my order. You can watch them cook the food. So, I watch this kid making the cheeseburger. He goes to the container in the steam table that has the chili. The kid looks in and sees that it is empty. He actually grabbed a tablespoon and scraped some sauce out and then spread it on the bun. Seriously. A tablespoon of sauce. When I told the kid I ordered a chili cheeseburger he says "that is a chili cheeseburger". I say, "where's the chili?". The kid 's replies "We ran out". I say "why don't you heat some in a microwave". The kid "you really want me to do that?" True story. No embellishment whatsoever.
We avoid this place at all costs and leave it to the unsuspecting tourists.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a pretty cool place to eat at. I've been there twice. The food isn't to die for, but its good. Eating outside by a giant coney restaurant with the river rushing by is pretty cool. If you are in the area and don't have another meal planned, this should do.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

It's a scene that seems out of place. As you are driving through Baily on a winding Colorado mountain road next to the creek you will come across a hot dog on a bun shaped sculpture. With a closer look you will see it's a restaurant. Don't be surprised if there is a long line with a wait. But the wait is worth it. They have regular sized hot dogs, foot long hots dogs, hamburger, handmade french fries, shakes, and soda's. Please don't take it out on the staff why you gotta wait so long, everything is hand made and fresh. They are awesome. I guarantee the food is worth the wait. They have several tables outside on their deck with a fire pit. Plus picnic tables next to the creek. In the building next door they have bathrooms. Their prices are reasonable. If you are on a diet, keep driving. But it's worth the calories and wait.