“Enjoy a meal at a part of Colorado's mountain history”

Coney Island Boardwalk
Ranked #9 of 12 Restaurants in Bailey
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Description: Iconic Colorado hot dog stand, serving as much local Colorado ingredients that we can, Continental Sausage, Elevation Ketchup, Rocky Mountain Soda and Maddy's Mustard. Natural ingredients in a beautiful setting served from a giant historical and hysterical hot dog. Reopened July 2016, under new ownership.
Aurora, Colorado
“Enjoy a meal at a part of Colorado's mountain history”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

OK...so it's a hot dog and onion rings....It's not the most glamorous or a fancy culinary treat....It's not the best meal I've ever had....But it IS a part of my childhood memories and my children's memories growing up to stop off at the Coney Island Dog stand in Bailey. When I was growing up in was located in Aspen Park along 285 further towards town. It was the cheesy hot dog themed place we kids always HAD to stop at when going to the mountains on hwy 285. Then after they moved it and reopened it years later, it then became the place my kids looked forward to stopping when we ventured to that part of the mountains. It is an opportunity to stop along the river, get a bite to eat, sit outside and enjoy the Colorado beauty of the mountains and listen to the river. It's a great family place to stop and take a break from the road, from the hassles of life and enjoy the moment with your family and friends. If you are in a hurry or an uptight traveler who feels the need to stop and grab a hot dog and fly back out, you probably shouldn't bother stopping here...there are a lot of us who are die-hard long time Coney Dog fans and will wait in line for our dog. Not that it takes that long to get a dog but you need to be willing to stop, relax and enjoy the environment and experience of this spot next to the highway. I do love their hot dogs, fresh onion rings and fries. It tastes like childhood memories and Coney Dog bliss! They have photos of the old location and the story of the Coney Dog in the building next to the "Dog."

• Visited August 2013

Colorado
“You Have To Go At Least Once”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

So you're driving up the mountain on HWY 285 and what happens - you see a giant hot dog! And there are people waiting to go inside! What's it all about? It's about stopping and getting a very good (not great) hot dog or hamburger (better than their hot dogs) or some ice cream or great french fries and sitting by the river and enjoying a beautiful day in the rocky mountains. You MUST try their Blackberry or Raspberry Shake. I will go there just for that!

Visited June 2014
Denver, Colorado
“What happened to this place??”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I used to frequent this place for coney island hot dogs, onion rings, fries, drinks, etc. before going to the ball park in Bailey to watch the kids play. It was always packed and no matter what you ordered it was good. That was about 14 years ago. About 5 years ago they moved the entire structure (in the shape of a hot dog on a bun) to a new location near a creek - very nice setting. New owners too. Since I had moved out of the area we went to the Coney Island only for a treat and a 90 minute scenic drive. Today my husband and I were in the area and decided to stop in to eat. We were the only two in line for about 10 minutes before the employee behind the counter said "someone" would be with us soon. We waited another 10 minutes until a woman came out of the back to take our order. A family with a baby arrived at about the same time and it was more important for her to scream, and I quote, " Shut the door, shut the door. Bring the baby in and put her on the table; or him, or it, whatever. I don't want the heat in here. " I couldn't believe she called the baby an it and I'm sure the parents didn't hear her remark. It was cooler outside than it was inside so I didn't really understand her concern. Finally we placed our order -2 regular hot dogs and one foot long, all with mustard and sauerkraut. When I heard the total I had to back up. Eighteen dollars for 3 hot dogs. No drinks, no fries or onion rings - 3 HOTDOGS!!!!!. And you guessed right - they were terrible. Between the nonexistent customer service, the uncleanliness, the prices and one of the worst hot dogs I've ever had I will not return here. It was once a wonderful, well known and much loved place - now it insults the very idea of a coney island hot dog as well as the people it serves.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Valentirosa
Denver, Colorado
“Wish it were better”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I really really want to see this place succeed. Such a neat place BUT it didn't seem very clean and the workers were unprofessional and sloppy looking.

1 Thank lacey c
USA
“The Absolute Worst Service Ever and the Food Ain't that Good Either”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Ever since Coney Island moved to Bailey the service is the. One person on the cash register. One person gets sodas. One person on the ice cream side. And one poor soul trying to cook all of the food. The other people just stand around if they aren't working their "station". It doesn't matter that the cook is overwhelmed. A "it's not my job" mentality. Once the owner just walked around during this fiasco.
Depending on the weather and time of day you will wait a ridiculously long time in line just to place you order and then another long wait for the food.
True Story of My Last Visit-Now understand that this place is "famous" for their coney dogs. Coney dogs have chili. Ok, that's the setup.
I order a chili cheeseburger after a 20 minute wait in line. I wait another 15 minutes before they get to my order. You can watch them cook the food. So, I watch this kid making the cheeseburger. He goes to the container in the steam table that has the chili. The kid looks in and sees that it is empty. He actually grabbed a tablespoon and scraped some sauce out and then spread it on the bun. Seriously. A tablespoon of sauce. When I told the kid I ordered a chili cheeseburger he says "that is a chili cheeseburger". I say, "where's the chili?". The kid 's replies "We ran out". I say "why don't you heat some in a microwave". The kid "you really want me to do that?" True story. No embellishment whatsoever.
We avoid this place at all costs and leave it to the unsuspecting tourists.

• Visited May 2013

Been to Coney Island Boardwalk? Share your experiences!