“Expensive”

Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Basalt
Oakville, Canada
“Expensive”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Just watch the kids pile all those toppings on and you'll see your wallet shrink. It is not the cheapest place in town. Yogurt is tasty and store is clean!

1 Thank Samuel R

Chicago
“Admittedly I am a Fro-Yo guru”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Okay, granted, there are a lot of great frozen yogurt places in my home town. I was THRILLED to find Mauka while vacationing in Basalt, the only one of its kind in the entire Valley. My husband and I enthusiastically went in with reasonable expectations. We didn't expect a huge number of flavors (they had more than we were anticipating) or a vast array of toppings (which also exceeded what we'd thought). So far, so good! But we didn't have a great experience for a couple of reasons: (1) the yogurt didn't taste that good (kind of had a chemical aftertaste and was icy, not creamy) (2) the greeting was not very warm and friendly but instead perfunctory. I mean we weren't looking to make friends but the Aspen-like aloofness was noticeable (3) there were a lot of rules - begging for a sample cup and not having your ticket toward a free yogurt punched unless your current order was over a certain weight (4) the prices were HIGH. I know, I know, we're near Aspen but come on. The cost was easily 50% more than similar portions at most every other fro-yo place we've been to and we've been to many around the country. Overall, Mauka wasn't much fun and that's part of the magic behind fro-yo places. They should be happy, joyful environments where you can get a treat that's relatively healthy (or not, by your own choice). Our visit to Mauka made us just want to leave quickly.

• Visited September 2013