“Five Star is Not High Enough”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Wilderness Trails Ranch
Yantis, Texas
“Five Star is Not High Enough”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My wife and I were on a motorcycle tour of Colorado and after a couple of days decided to take a deversion for a day. We found Wilderness Trails Ranch on Google. I made the call and after a short conversation we decided to spend a day there. Well after four days we regretfully decided we had to leave. What a wonderful place to be. The owners are incredible. The staff made us feel like family. I'm not kidding. My wife cried like a baby when we left. The wranglers and the horses were just great. NO was not on the menu. We both had an incredible massage and the chef at this place was, well lets just say I was surprised to find such a chef outside New York. My wife and I have travelled all over the world and next to Africa this was our most memorable vacation ever. If you want to take a vacation somewhere and feel that you got every dimes worth when you leave then I assure you that Wilderness Trails Ranch is the place.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danny C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed at Wilderness Trails Ranch in June 2012. We wanted to introduce our children to the Dude Ranch experience in a shorter time span so we opted for a 3 night/4 day experience. Our children (9 & 6) absolutely LOVED their time at WTR. They had never really been horseback riding before and were truly comfortable and capable by the end of our short stay. It was surprising seeing just how the horses responded even to our little 6-year-old when she was riding it on the trails -- WOW! The ranch was also incredibly accomodating. Our children happen to have been the youngest in attendance the week that we were there, so the ranch even brought in a local girl to ride with them so that they would get to meet a new child and not have to play with just each other the entire stay. Also, they very much enjoyed their freedom in that they were able to play at the little clubhouse (the ranch calls it the "Hideout") by themselves after completing their trail rides. (Such a special experience for our city dweller children.) My only suggestion for families with members with multiple experience levels is to make sure and let the ranch know if the more advanced people would like to have a more challenging ride. The ranch is more than accomodating in this regard, but you do need to say something otherwise you will ride at the level that most are comfortable with. Accomodations were clean and comfortable. The food was quite delicious!

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We just returned from our stay at Wilderness Trails Ranch. I have never taken the time to review a vacation spot before but this vacation merits the effort to let you all know how wonderful it was. The ranch is set in a beautiful valley - with the requisite river running through it. There are many activities to do - check out their website for further info on that. We enjoyed not just the trail rides (which were great) but also the opportunity to learn more advanced riding skills. Lead wrangler, Nathan, is so encouraging and patient that he will have you feeling competent even if you haven't ridden a horse in ages. The Roberts family, owners of the ranch, have a fine group of people working for them - everyone is really friendly, accommodating and helpful. The food was delicious, the cabins were comfy and I only hope I can find time to go back again soon. You're going to love this ranch!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2012

The Robert family (Jan, Gene, Lance and Vanessa) run this, dare I say, intimate dude ranch. Because the number of cabins is limited, guests get much more personal attention and the staff go out their way to try and make your visit unforgettable. I am fussy about the food I eat; thiers was consistently excellent. I am VERY fussy about my riding experience; theirs was excellent--especially the wranglers. The nice thing about Wilderness Trails is that if you have a meber of your group or family that is not crazy about riding horses there are still many other activities available--fishing, biking, swimming, hiking -- all in a first class setting. My wife and I had a ball and, as I say, it really starts and ends with this terrific Roberts family.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carlyle M
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Long entry - but hopefully helpful. I will provide pro's and con's (as I see them) to help you have an objective idea of what WTR has to offer.

Frame of Reference – we traveled there June 2012 – summertime.

First off – as the mother of an earlier reviewer I have to say that if an 11 year old thinks it’s important enough to get on Trip Advisor on his own and review a hotel then I think that is telling – we want our kids to have great summer vacations and this one left an impression on my city boy son that I’m so grateful for.

Expense – for a family vacation it can be considered pricey – however it’s worth it and in line with other dude ranches. You are truly given the run of the ranch, the staff are more than accommodating (tips allowed but not expected at this ranch), the food is excellent (consistent quality and care in the preparations), and the accommodations give you the exact right combination of ranch charm and deluxe comfort that affords you a rustic cowboy feel with the pampering you want from vacation.

View – a little slice of heaven, without a doubt. Con – a fire ran through the top ridge of the mountains surrounding the ranch about 10 years ago. This, somewhat, diminished the view – however there is beauty EVERY where you look. Pro - From the gorgeous mountains in the distance, to the deer running around the fishing ponds, to the sweet flower gardens and Ponderosa pines that surround the cabins and the main lodge you really feel like you are getting the best of Colorado.

Daily activities/Horses – this place has you covered. Between ½ and full day trail rides, cattle work, the pool, massages, lake runs for tubing, the community room for a game of pool, dance lessons, live bands, hay rides, hiking trails, etc you won’t get bored!! The con here is also a pro - they aren’t very stringent with the planning – the con part is that you can feel like you are missing out on opportunities from lack of knowledge – the pro is that they are not stringent because they are so VERY accommodating, you get to run the show. So remember – stay in touch with the staff and communicate your wants!!! They will help you do/see ANYTHING you want! Regarding the horses - They have a great range of horse types/levels – you will absolutely be given the best horse for your riding level - and they are all beautiful!!!

Cabins/Food/Staff – Perfect. The cabins are very clean with plenty of drawer/closet space, incredibly comfortable beds, and are just plain adorable. My original con was the proximity to the other cabins – back home I envisioned a LOT of privacy. The layout does not provide that, but you are in no way crowded or too close either. In the long run this was a pro – after the first day I didn’t want secluded privacy….I loved sitting on the porch in the morning watching the wranglers leave from breakfast and stroll to the stables, or in the evening seeing the cooks grilling up dinner in the picnic area, as well as watching/hearing the kids play horseshoes and run around the playground. It also means you don’t have to walk far to get to everything – after riding all day this is a huge PRO! I can’t say enough about the food – they plan family friendly meals however will make anything you want if you have a very picky eater (they always offer veggie options as well!) Every bite was worth every calorie!!! As a foodie I was a little nervous that the all inclusive plan might be a bore. Absolutely not!! And the staff – oh I could type forever about them…..Every person that works there is remarkable – knowledgeable, happy, fun, and ready to please. The staff as well as this setting makes you feel like family.

We all agreed - this was our favorite family vacation.

3 Thank Rachel W
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My mom and I had a lovely stay at Wilderness Trails Ranch! While the Ranch is not too far from Durango, the expansive property is surrounded by beautiful, peaceful wilderness. Mount one of the many well-trained horses and follow an experienced and attentive wrangler through any of the numerous trails on the property. Pass shimmering Aspen groves, towering Ponderosa Pines, icy clear creeks, and vibrant wildlife before pausing near a cliff for a fantastic eagle-eye view of the surrounding Rocky Mountains and Vallecito Lake. We were delighted that our wrangler, Andrew, shared with us a bit of his expansive knowledge regarding the native plants and their medicinal uses. Fuel up on delicious meals three times daily in the communal dining room or patio while watching an incredible display of hummingbirds against a scenic backdrop. Relax well-worked muscles with a dip in the delightful hot-tub or heated out-door pool. For extra relief, schedule a therapeutic massage or guided yoga session with Erica. The rustic and tranquil cabins afford a fantastic night's sleep. Management and staff are awesome and the land is truly divine. Whether you choose to ride, hike, fish, or chill, Wilderness Trails Ranch rocks!

2 Thank Mindalynn
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Very fun. And very good staff as well the horses are amazing! A fire burned through ten years ago and ruined some of the otherwise beautiful view. The food is very very good and they will make whatever you want for breakfast. The housing makes you feel very cozy although i had trouble sleeping on the twin provided so I put two together. Over all an amazing place to stay. Positively recommended.

Room Tip: No A/C in cabin 1but, I don't know about others.