“Check off one item on the bucket list”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Wilderness Trails Ranch
Howell, Michigan
“Check off one item on the bucket list”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We could not have picked a better place to fulfill my wife"s "bucket list" dream. We can't say enough about the staff, not only were they very knowledgeable and excellent teachers, they were just fun to be around. Having never been to CO, we both were in awe with the views from everywhere. The accommodations, food, and and atmosphere of the ranch were excellent. Really met all our expectations. We both learned a lot about riding and ranching with the "hands" on experience. Thanks for all your hard work.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Wilderness Trails hosted our Leadership Retreat for 20 people and made the success of it! The staff was so welcoming and accomodated any need that we had. The facilities were comfortable and charming; giving us a feel from being away from the outside world but yet, still provided us the technology and tools to create a positive learning environment. Every one of our participants had positive reviews of the Ranch and we intend to use it as our Retreat venue every year!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Bottom Line Up Front - Outstanding property, Superlative Staff, Outstanding Food, and a Perfect Stay. We both have traveled the world from Fairbanks to Christchurch, Seoul to Sidney, Kabul to Santiago, Bora Bora to Jaipur and nowhere did we find a bunch of more personable hosts that we discovered at this ranch north of Durango, Colorado. My DW and I stayed during week of 2-8 September 2012 during adult only week. WTR staff (Vanessa, Stacy, Jan, Eric, Sky, Allie, Catherine, Eric and Nathan, et al.) went above and beyond the call of normal duties to make our stay one of the most memorable experiences in our lives. So much to say - accommodations - great; cabins were neat, tidy and meet any traveler’s needs. View of the valley – to die for! Pool and hot tub were just right after a day of riding (cool and hot). Sky’s collations were outstanding! But most of all the wranglers (Eric and Nathan) made this trip a true "City Slicker" moment in our lives. Whatever you do, go out on the cattle drives – once and a life time experience. Unlike my previous reviews – I have nothing critical to say about WTR. WE WILL RETURN!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Just finished another wonderful week at Wilderness Trails. This is the fourth year that my two grandchildren (age 10 and 15), my daughter (who is disabled) and I have been there. As usual it was a wonderful time. Terrific cabins, incredible food. Great wranglers who are always fun and accommodating. And really good horses. It is an incredibly beautiful area. And the staff is, as always, wonderful. We look forward to going back next year.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed 6 August 2012

What a lovely way to spend a week with family. We met our four grand kids, and their mother and father for a week filled with horse back riding, fishing, hiking lounging by the pool and lake activities. The San Juan Mountains of Colorado have to be one of the most beautiful spots on earth. The food was great, the accommodations as would be expected at a ranch and the days were filled with activity and or relaxation to suit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We've been to ranches before but this one was truly a paradise for my family. My husband and I and 4 boys (ages 5, 7, and twins 9 years old) had an entire week of no electronics, no baseball games and pure endulgence in activities entwined with nature. Our days were spent horseback ridding, swimming, hiking, mountain biking, fishing or just poking along the creeks flowing throught the ranch. The kids were stimulated by the challenges of advanced horsemenship and by the end of the week displayed their skills in a rodeo - a definite highlight of our trip. The real gem of this ranch is not just the beautiful setting in a secluded valey surrounded by breathtaking mountains, but in the personal care, hospitality and genunie friendliness of the staff. Every meal was excellent, in presentation and quality and they pay attention to details that are important to the kids (like the side dish of ants-on-the-log, which all four of my boys loved!). The kid wranglers are pros, all kiddos bond witheachother and play together through purposefully designed activities like the hike to hidden valley with tons of tee-pees, or the day long horse back ride to cow park even my 5 year old participated. Our evenings were spent fishing in nicely stocked ponds, my 9 year olds were so proud to catch trout. Thank goodness the kitchen staff did all the dirty work and served them up for breakfast for my boys. This entire vacation cost less than a week at Disney world (or Sea World) and we never had to wait in any lines, we escapted super hot temps,never carried our wallets, and best of all - we connected with eachother every single day!!! From sun up to sun down everyone was trully happy in a rejuvinated way that we all really needed. I'm already counting the days until our next visit.

Room Tip: An porch or deck is a must for late afternoon or evening relaxing.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My husband and I were on yet another new adventure...motorcycle riding in Colorado. As we are known for doing, we changed our plans. It must have been "devine intervention" because we found this amazing place and its people with just a simple click. From the moment we stepped into the beautiful lodge we were welcomed with warmth and smiles and a complete willingness to please. The Wilderness Trails Ranch IS a magical place surrounded by pure beauty. This experience exceeded all of my expectations! If spectacular scenery, fun & excitement, fabulous food and outstanding service is what you are looking for...this is it! Did I mention the owners and staff? I met the most amazing people here. The owners have chosen a group of outstanding young individuals to represent the WTR. Our personal wrangler, Nathan, had his own unique style of presentation. He met the challenges of riders with different abilities and kept us "feeling like we were a part of the ol' west". Nathan, you are a top-hand!

I can not wait for our next trip to Colorado and this wonderful place. We will now be in search of a new home in Colorado as a result of this experience. My final thoughts:

"One enters this place as a guest...but, you leave feeling like part of a family" Hats off to WTR.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Deborah5058

Been to Wilderness Trails Ranch? Share your experiences!