“Terrible!”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
San Francisco
“Terrible!”
Reviewed 1 March 2008

I recently stayed at the Ritz at Bachelor Gulch for four days and it was a very poor experience from start to finish. The hotel is beautiful but the basic room was disappointing- especially with the broken coffee maker and window shades. Also, the hotel has very poor cell reception (none at all for T-Mobile) so do not come for a work event. No fireplace, small room.

I went to Spago for breakfast where the staff was positively horrific and it took over 30 minutes to get scrambled eggs and tea. I called to ask the front desk what the exercise schedule was and they had no idea and offered no help. I called twice for a wake-up call and did not receive one on either day.

The location is great for skiing but the site is far from anything else.

Not what you would expect from a Ritc.

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank biztravelreview

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 February 2008

The fact that the Ritz name is becoming an adjective says a lot. So full with expectations we head towards the mountains.Just got a great early season rate through travelocity good buys so we would not feel bad in case of mishaps.
The place looks great, architecturally exquisite, great attention to detail. Valet people are dressed in cowboy attire with dusters and all.Staff was very polite, offered to give us a tour of the property, handed cowboy hats to the kids.Overall it was the best service we came across in the Vail/Beaver Creek area. No stuffed up , stressed and rude staff like some other places - you'd be amazed at the low quality of service in some of the high end places( see Vail Cascade Resort and Spa)
Room was nice.. I was expecting more glamor, but then, the inspiration for the hotel are the Great National Lodges of the West,so..mountain decor- not so Ritzy-BUT the bathroom was to die for.marble, great fixtures,you have to love the toiletries..Bvlgari..I was a tad disappointed that I did not find some bath salts, but, I believe they draw a bath for you if you want it for about $50.
Hotel is very kids friendly, offer different services like ski nanny ..to take you kids to and from the Ski School which is right there, Movie night, even walking a lab that they rescued.
Also, the hotel is pet friendly, so you'll see a lot of people with they pets.I'm not aware if they provide special rooms for the pets and their owners, but I did not "smell" the dogs.
On the downside, the Lobby is tiny..cozy is an understatement..I'm sure the hotel was not at full capacity and the lobby was so full it was impossible to find a spot.(Note: The hotel only has about 100+ rooms, but the common areas are shared with the Ritz residencies and Condos)
They just opened a new, high end restaurant- Spago- did not try it, went instead to the " famous" Buffalo Bar and was not impressed at all with the food....First of all they advertise as having 3-4 restaurant...the bar, the lobby, another area..but the food is the same! from the same kitchen with the same servers.Not a great idea.Food was disappointing considering it was the Ritz ....service was in a hurry to the point that the waitress ask us to pay because her shift was over, decided to " defy" her and order desert..after 25minute something arrives..not what we ordered, of course..so it took them 20 more to get it right....I would have left but the check was already paid...tip given...so we might as well enjoy it..And we did..apparently the deserts are coming from another kitchen and they are worth it.
Location is great, not in the BC Village per se, but a very secluded,private, village with your own chair lift that connects you to the rest of the ski trails.
We plan to go back for another steal at the end of the season...just to refill on the Bvlgari soaps( you cannot buy those in stores)
Oh.everybody learns you name...after the first gate you are greeted by the last name ( they had to practice really hard with ours ,but they managed)
Can't wait to go back..I can get used to this!

• Liked — services
  • Disliked — services
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank aiordana
RI
Reviewed 29 January 2008

I think I was the only non-skiier at this resort the entire month of January. The bathroom was beautiful, the fireplace was terrific, the bed was unbelievable. Honestly...I could have slept all day. Housekeeping kept my room immaculate. Definitely use the humidifer provided, as my skin dried out extremely quickly due to the altitude. The spa was worth every penny. I'm not the typical "Ritz" vacationer, and there is a definite air of snobbiness throughout the hotel by other guests. Really, if you're complaining about the Ritz, I don't know where you should stay! The food was overpriced and there aren't any options within walking distance.

Stayed January 2008
Toronto
Reviewed 26 January 2008

What a disappointment! Let me start by clarifying that I have travelled the world for 25 years staying at some of the finest accomodations on 3 continents. This was my first visit to a Ritz Carlton. It will be my last booking with Ritz Carlton! I went with my girlfriend for the weekend and booked in on a Friday through till Monday.

First impressions were fantastic as the hotel is beautifully built and situated well at the bottom of the ski runs offering ski in service. From there most everything was a case of the Ritz missing the mark at every turn.

Our room was booked to be a suite with fireplace but we were shown to a basic room with a view of the wall supporting the roadway and there was no fireplace - despite my assurances at the time of booking this would be no problem. When I called the front desk upon reaching our room I was told "Sorry we are busy. Perhaps Sunday something can be done to accomodate a romantic weekend for you." Nothing was ever heard from the front desk thereafter.

On our first full day we returned to our room after 8 hours of skiing to find our bed unmade and the dirty bathroom and towels untouched. Exhausted we were unable to begin to relax and unwind before waiting 30 minutes for house cleaning to appear and make up our room. When I called the front desk I was told not to call there but housekeeping to request service. Not an attitude of customer service!

On our second full day we were seated in the Great Room at lunchtime looking to have a drink and bite to eat. A young lady approached us without identifying herself as a hotel employee and told us we had to sit elsewhere as a couple had just gotten engaged and a group were having champagne to celebrate. Her "So Sad, Too Bad, Move" attitude was the most disgusting experience in a hotel in my travels. A true service based hotel would have had that lady identify herself, ask if we would object to sitting elsewhere and indicate that they would find us seating and perhaps a drink to toast the couple's joy. Not a care was given by this employee. She couldn't have cared less if we were on our own personal experience! Imagine if we had been homeymooning and had been told to move! Honestly Terrible! And after we did move the spots sat empty for 45 minutes at the busiest time of the day. That group could have easily been sat in a private spot with a similar view at Spagos. No thought by the Ritz to everyones rights.

On a positive note the spa and spa staff were wonderful. We had several massages and enjoyed the romance couple bubble bath and couples massage the most. I highly recommend. Best to go late in the dayor very early when most others are away. A good way to find alone time in the fabulous grotto. The outdoor pool and hottub left us feeling like we were on display at the zoo as they are by the end of the ski lift and people were always about.

Our dining experience for in room was mixed. Service was quick and accomodating to requests but the food was poorly prepared and lacked though. Who puts soggy coleslaw on a sandwich? Breakfast at Spagos was very good! Dinner was disappointing as the food failed to meet the high standards expected. We left our main plates full and skipped desert.

So there you have my thoughts on the Ritz experience. I have to finish by saying that this is the first time in all my travels I have felt the compulsion to share my experiences with an online forum. If you go I hope you fair better than we did. But honestly would you roll the dice on a weekend costing you $5,000+ if it wasn't Vegas????

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — The Service Attitude
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Apres_Ski
Auburn, AL
Reviewed 21 January 2008

My family was fortunate enough to have Ritz Carlton voucher so we decided to go to BG. My son and I have started snow skiing and it seemed like it would be a great place to go. And on the surface it seems so. Ritz Carlton on the mountain, with its own ski lifts and ski concierge, etc seems great. We are pretty easy to get along with but I had a few issues that might help someone. It started by getting a room with a bad view. I travel a good bit on vouchers and am used to getting the worst room but the view was about as bad as you can get. The whole place is ridiculously expensive. There are really no discounts on anything. There is an onsite ski equipment area, which doesn't honor the discounts that are given by their other locations. The lift tickets were really high here which doesn't reflect on the RC but it does the area. We had a 50 dollar breakfast credit. My family of four 2 adults and 2 small kids couldn't eat breakfast for under 50 bucks in Spago. I had a Bacon, egg and chees sandwich for 19 dollars. The food and service was great, it was just very pricey. Everywhere we wanted to go we had to take the shuttle. Which is convenient and runs regularly, but we spent at least two hours a day on a shuttle to Beaver Creek. Every activity was located there. We thought the lift behind the resort would be great, but we are pretty new skiers and the lifts take you mostly to blue and black runs. So we even had to take the shuttle to get to a lift where we could ski. We went the week before Christmas and thought that the resort would be wonderfully decorated. There was one tree. I think to sum it up. It is a georgous resort, located in a remote section of the mountain. If money is no object, this is probably a great place to go. If you ski and are pretty good and need no assistance this would work for you. Even though I was on vouchers, the room rate would have been 750 each for two nights and 1300 for two nights. I would have expected more for the price they charged. You pay alot to stay and then you will spend alot for everything after you get there. Snow skiing is expensive but there are alot of resorts to go to for lots less money. We probably won't be back.

• Liked — quality
  • Disliked — cost and location, not very convenient to much
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank tracycul
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 19 December 2007

This is a big, classy hotel just a short drive from Vail. Best large hotel in the area. If you can, get a room on the club level and enjoy the wonderful complimentary food and beverage in the club lounge all day.

Spago is opening soon - looks really modern and trendy. Very cool.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank kdern
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 14 December 2007

The hotel is beautiful. They delayed our check-in to clean the room, but we got an upgrade to a room with a fireplace and balcony with a beautiful mountain view. The room is very comfortable, with a nice soft bed and plenty of pillows to choose from. The shower and tub, while gorgeous, could have been larger to fit 2 people. While we were here we used the concierge on multiple occasions and they were always helpful. Even taking a picture of us with Bachelor the dog. The room service, which we used a lot, was delicious and prompt.

There are free shuttles every ten minutes to Beaver Creek Village. They are clean and convenient. On site there is a ski shop that has everything someone could want. They scheduled us ski lessons for the following day and are the same price as online or in Beaver Creek.

One thing that really surprised us was the complimentary glasses of champagne upon arrival, because it was our honeymoon. Also, the chocolate covered strawberries with a large bottle of champagne and a congratulations card delivered to our room.

The only large downfall, which does not reflect on the hotel, was Spago, It was the most expensive and most disappointing meal of our entire trip. It made us wish we had ordered room service. The service there was top notch, but 3 peppery scallops for $33 was severely disappointing.

Aside from Spago, everything was top notch. They even do a turn down service at night with chocolates. We booked our stay with [--] which is a virtuoso agent, this gave us a $40 a day breakfast credit, $50 spa credit, and the free room upgrade. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a honeymoon romantic stay or if you are a skier.

• Liked — Beautiful View, Great Service
  • Disliked — Spago
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek
The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!