“Debacle”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Kansas City, Missouri
“Debacle”
Reviewed 24 April 2008

The room was disappointing and there were many hidden charges for everything. Staff would agree to help arrange services and/or amenities and would then allow plans to fall through without notification and bill my room anyway. The surrounding area is beautiful, but I would never come back here. The experience was so unpleasant, I am not sure I would stay in another Ritz Carlton elsewhere in the country.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank sandra2435

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Wyoming
Reviewed 24 April 2008

We stayed here for about 5 nights right after New Year's. The hotel is SUPERB, but its crowning glory is the spa.

From arrival to check-out, on every level, the service is truly superior -- professional, gracious, respectful, and friendly -- and lives up to the Ritz-Carlton name. Any special requests or calls to room service were handled very professionally and promptly. Unless you wave them off, the ski valets won't even let you take your own skis off. The staff make you feel that it is truly their pleasure to serve you. FYI, finding this level of service anywhere in Vail/Beaver Creek is becoming increasingly difficult as the area struggles with shortages of qualified service personnel, which makes the experience here even more precious.

For those with children, a ski nanny service is available, including after-skiing movie and snack to allow the adults some time to unwind after the lifts close. Also, a shuttle runs to Beaver Creek Village about every 20 mins, so access to that area is easy for beginner skiiers/boarders.

Room decor is lodge/mountain-inspired. Our room looked out onto the mountain and had a spectacularly hot fireplace. Bulgari bathroom amenities and the soaking tub were a nice touch.

Like I said, the crowning glory is the spa! The romantic grotto is a wonderful place to meet your significant other after indulging in the spa services. The spa area and lockers are well-appointed with relaxing single-sex waiting rooms, steam and sauna rooms, and freezing plunge pools (I challenge you to actually immerse yourself!)!

Outside the spa, the great room with the enormous fireplace is a wonderful place to hang out. Food in the bar area is just alright, though. Dinner at Beano's Cabin was nice. Arrival via Snowcat-pulled "sleigh" was fun, but dinner itself is less of an experience (I can't remember what I ate).

Others have noted that the prices here are steep. Yes, they are, but please remember that this is Beaver Creek/Vail and prices are high anywhere you go during ski season.

Bottom line: We can't wait to go back. The spa is calling to us so insistently that we're making another trip this summer.

Recommended for: couples, families, ski-in/ski-out for non beginners, non-skiiers who like to "spa," summer hiking, spa break

• Stayed January 2007
2 Thank wannafiji
London
Reviewed 8 April 2008

The hotel itself and the location are both fantastic, positioned right at the base of the lift ski valets fetch your gear for your every morning (which I will address a little further later on in this review...)

We stayed in an amazing penthouse right up in the eaves of the hotel - it had a roaring fireplace, lots of comfortable sofas to relax on after a hard day on the slopes and perhaps the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Downstairs in the hotel is a lovely spa with everything you would expect - saunas, steamrooms and everything else all beautifully appointed as well as a huge outdoor pool and hot tubs.

We ate at Spago every day and the new Colorado branch of this well known LA eatery didn't disappoint - lots of fantastic unfussy food which was well suited to the mountain setting. Apart from Spago the hotel's eating options are relatively thin on the ground - particularly lacking is a good breakfast buffet, which is always nice before a long day on the slopes.

The only thing to detract from the holiday was the staff who always seemed slightly on the backfoot and never quite sure what to do. I am imagining that due to the seasonal nature of the work the staff never really have the length of experience working in a luxury hotel that you find elsewhere.

A very good example of this is the ski valets - they are all very charming and helpful but never seemed quite sure where our skis were... On the second day they lost mine and my sister's altogether never, to my knowledge, being found. Luckily they were rentals but still! It meant that we spent the first hour or so of the day waiting while they hunted for our skis - then having to get refitted for new ones from the rental shop. I can only imagine that in the confusion they were returned to the rental place by accident and were then impossible to distinguish from everyone elses. At any rate NOT something that should ever happen. Having stayed at great places like Stein Eriksen in Deer Valley I know that the ski valet system is extraordinarily good when it works right....

I know these issues sound huge but in the grand scheme of things they pale. We all had a fantastic holiday and would certainly go back to the Ritz Carlton in future. While the staffing issues are annoying overall this hotel is well deserved of its good reputation.

• Liked — Great Location and Spago
  • Disliked — Inexperienced staff
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank kiwinick81
Indiana
Reviewed 31 March 2008

We stayed at this property in May during the off-season, but it sure didn't take away from the beauty of this resort.

The rooms were nice and large with a wonderful bathroom that had a separate tub and shower. The hotel staff was almost over accomodating and they always remembered your name.

Breakfast at the hotel was very good and the service was excellent.

The best part of our stay was the spa. We both enjoyed our treatments and would return for this alone.

I don't know that I would pay or could afford the in-season rates at this resort, but I definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2006
1 Thank Hoosier70
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 March 2008

We went to the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch during the absolute deadest time of year (October) and there was hardly anyone there, which was nice. The first snow had fallen and the drive up was very beautiful. The staff was attentive and friendly and our room was very posh and upscale looking. Bed was extremely comfortable and the decor made you feel that you were at a mountain getaway. The first day was very nice as we went to the Grotto (Spa) and had it all to ourselves. It was truly like having our very own hotel! The spa is amazing and the best one I have ever been to.

The second day was different. We went to the spa in the morning and there wasn't a soul to be found. We ended up going behind the counter and getting our own robes and shoes. The showers were leaking some sort of black ooze that smelled like coffee. It was very unpleasant and we left after a short dip in the grotto and hot tub.

On the way to check out we were not able to use the elevator due to painting on our floor. We trekked a far distance and ended up on the other side of the hotel in a residential area. The people working over there were not too pleased to see us. We were directed to the front lobby but that required us to go OUTSIDE with our luggage and trek through the snow in order to get to the main building again. I don't mind walking or hauling my bags (I'm young and can handle it) but I don't expect to be doing it at the Ritz Carlton.

Overall, a mixed stay but am glad that I got to experience the Ritz Carlton. The views were breathtaking and the mountains were covered with the first snow of the season. Would definitely stay here again if I was in the mountains although they should still care about their customers...even in the dead season!

• Liked — Spa, room, views
  • Disliked — Poor service on the 2nd day
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank everyshadeofblue
San Francisco
Reviewed 1 March 2008

I recently stayed at the Ritz at Bachelor Gulch for four days and it was a very poor experience from start to finish. The hotel is beautiful but the basic room was disappointing- especially with the broken coffee maker and window shades. Also, the hotel has very poor cell reception (none at all for T-Mobile) so do not come for a work event. No fireplace, small room.

I went to Spago for breakfast where the staff was positively horrific and it took over 30 minutes to get scrambled eggs and tea. I called to ask the front desk what the exercise schedule was and they had no idea and offered no help. I called twice for a wake-up call and did not receive one on either day.

The location is great for skiing but the site is far from anything else.

Not what you would expect from a Ritc.

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank biztravelreview
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 February 2008

The fact that the Ritz name is becoming an adjective says a lot. So full with expectations we head towards the mountains.Just got a great early season rate through travelocity good buys so we would not feel bad in case of mishaps.
The place looks great, architecturally exquisite, great attention to detail. Valet people are dressed in cowboy attire with dusters and all.Staff was very polite, offered to give us a tour of the property, handed cowboy hats to the kids.Overall it was the best service we came across in the Vail/Beaver Creek area. No stuffed up , stressed and rude staff like some other places - you'd be amazed at the low quality of service in some of the high end places( see Vail Cascade Resort and Spa)
Room was nice.. I was expecting more glamor, but then, the inspiration for the hotel are the Great National Lodges of the West,so..mountain decor- not so Ritzy-BUT the bathroom was to die for.marble, great fixtures,you have to love the toiletries..Bvlgari..I was a tad disappointed that I did not find some bath salts, but, I believe they draw a bath for you if you want it for about $50.
Hotel is very kids friendly, offer different services like ski nanny ..to take you kids to and from the Ski School which is right there, Movie night, even walking a lab that they rescued.
Also, the hotel is pet friendly, so you'll see a lot of people with they pets.I'm not aware if they provide special rooms for the pets and their owners, but I did not "smell" the dogs.
On the downside, the Lobby is tiny..cozy is an understatement..I'm sure the hotel was not at full capacity and the lobby was so full it was impossible to find a spot.(Note: The hotel only has about 100+ rooms, but the common areas are shared with the Ritz residencies and Condos)
They just opened a new, high end restaurant- Spago- did not try it, went instead to the " famous" Buffalo Bar and was not impressed at all with the food....First of all they advertise as having 3-4 restaurant...the bar, the lobby, another area..but the food is the same! from the same kitchen with the same servers.Not a great idea.Food was disappointing considering it was the Ritz ....service was in a hurry to the point that the waitress ask us to pay because her shift was over, decided to " defy" her and order desert..after 25minute something arrives..not what we ordered, of course..so it took them 20 more to get it right....I would have left but the check was already paid...tip given...so we might as well enjoy it..And we did..apparently the deserts are coming from another kitchen and they are worth it.
Location is great, not in the BC Village per se, but a very secluded,private, village with your own chair lift that connects you to the rest of the ski trails.
We plan to go back for another steal at the end of the season...just to refill on the Bvlgari soaps( you cannot buy those in stores)
Oh.everybody learns you name...after the first gate you are greeted by the last name ( they had to practice really hard with ours ,but they managed)
Can't wait to go back..I can get used to this!

• Liked — services
  • Disliked — services
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#6 of 18 in Beaver Creek

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!