“Excellence exceeds expectations”

The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Reviewed 2 September 2013

SIMPLY THE BEST This was our second extended stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Bachelor Gulch. The first was when the new General Manager, Abdullah Vural, first arrived. We had a wonderful experience: my review can be found on TripAdvisor. We recently returned, two years later, and the difference is astounding. There is improvement in every detail in the entire property...even in areas that were already leading-edge and "best of class" for a five star luxury hotel.

If you do not want to read all the details of this review, here's the bottom line: the Ritz-Carlton in Bachelor Gulch is by far the #1 Luxury Resort in Colorado/Wyoming/New Mexico (and we were recently guests at the main competition in Jackson Hole). If you have the opportunity, stay there, eat there, use the spa services, and experience service and excellence at its best.

Now for the details:
The hotel property has recently been updated. Gone are the dreary dark wood and "cowboy western" theme. The only reminder of that decor is that the doormen and valet staff still wear cowboy hats. The entire property is now a chic pallet of mountain colors: sage greens, eggshell whites, greyed blues, silver, pewter, etc. Aspen tree limbs and trunks are frequently used in the decor. Everything is fresh and beautiful. Carpeting includes a sand color with white, that looks like pebbles. The sheets are cloud white soft cotton and have a very subtle woven stripe pattern. The rooms have a finish similar to Venetian plaster and are done in soothing sophisticated colors. Even the bathrooms have been improved with lighted make up mirrors that work much better than those in the past. The amenities in the bath are by Asprey, the London Bond Street jeweler, and they smell lovely.

The food is greatly improved. Now, the salads taste as if the ingredients were freshly picked. I discovered that the wealth of interesting and delicious fresh vegetables was due, in part, to an arrangement the hotel has with local growers. There is a great emphasis on locally grown produce, and it is evident in the appealing and delicious food served. I ate some of the most surprisingly wonderful food: it was a real treat and "adventure" to taste what the chefs would prepare. I now have a new favorite chocolate dessert (an oreo cookie sort of crust filled with a creamy vanilla-ish pudding and topped with caramel...I do not do it justice in this description). When I bit into it, I thought I was going to pass out because it was SO GOOD. Also the baby rack of lamb was outstanding, and every side dish was a wonderful combination of things I would never think of.

The room service menu is expanded. We used it a lot and everything was perfect! If you take your dog, they have a special section of doggie dishes you can order.

The spa services have been expanded and upgraded. My all time favorite is now the "Mountain Morning" package (I did it three times!). In the non-snow months, it starts with a 1 1/2 hour hike in the mountains. At the end of the hike, your hiking guide takes you to a rather remote and beautiful cabin in the mountain where a yoga teacher awaits. The one hour yoga session is held on the deck of the cabin, with nothing but the rustle of the aspen trees and hummingbirds to bother your concentration. After the yoga (which is catered to your level and ability), a massage table is set up on the deck for a one hour massage. All this is followed by a hike back to the hotel spa and 20 min. of oxygen (optional). This is the perfect way to spend about 4 hours! In the snow weather, the hike is replaced with snow shoes and the yoga and massage are in the spa. FANTASTIC. Book it when you make your reservation.

How the service could possibly have been improved was something I could not imagine, but it was. It felt as if EVERY employee at the resort was (1) proud to be working for the hotel, (2) knowledgeable about their particular job, and, (3) sincerely interested in making the guest experience as good as it could possibly be. All the staff appeared to genuinely enjoy being there, doing their jobs, and helping me: this is very difficult to fake for eleven days and nights in a row! It worked. We had an extraordinary time.

We will return next summer and recommend the hotel to all our friends.

Room Tip: There are no bad views or bad rooms. If you are bringing your dog, tell them so they can provide a d...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Art_lover_Dallas
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Was here for my buds wedding, staff and resort were superb! The resort is nestled in the mountains with amazing views. The spa was very impressive. I love that they restock the mini bar with local microbrews for you daily for free.

Room Tip: Lobby is on 4 the floor, so if you don't like running to different floors, try to get one close...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed on the club level for 5 nights. It was a fabulous trip. My boys were sold the moment they saw the candy buffet! The lounge is beautifully appointed with some food & drinks always available, in addition to 5 food services each day (breakfast, lunch, snack, hors d'oeuerves, dessert). Concierges are always at hand to greet you and offer suggestions for activities, etc. The room was spacious, comfortable and beautifully decorated. All the staff were friendly and accommodating in every way. In addition to a perfect hotel stay, we availed ourselves of some of the limitless activities the area offers (e.g., white water rafting, fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking, zip-lining, etc.). Vail Valley is not just great for skiing - summer is a fantastic time to visit and there is no better home away from home than this hotel!!

Room Tip: Club level is the way to go. Five food services are provided each day. Concierges are gracious and...
1  Thank Barbara L
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My 7 yr old son and I wanted to do a father-son trip before he returned to school. We started in Denver, having a delightful time at Red Rocks, moved on to Evergreen CO enjoying canoeing before arriving for a 5 night stay in a supposedly upgraded room. The first room overlooked the valley. However it also overlooked construction and expansion, not an ideal "upgrade", but what was surprising was despite a pre visit inquiry to their Concierge David, absolutely no information was forthcoming on golf, dining or kids activities. At check in, nothing provided on kid's activities either. It seems their Ritz Kids Club room was under construction and presumably shut down, but I was never told. We were awakened early the next morning by loud, screaming kids next door. It appeared the parents were in an adjoining room. On more than one occasion, a parent came in that room (adjoining ours) and either beat their child or equally screamed. It was upsetting to my son and I called the front desk as it was obvious the parents were as out of control as the kids. I was even wondering if the hotel would take any action. Later that morning, they said the would move us, as soon as another room was ready. We went down for breakfast, in an almost empty Spago dining room where we had an excellent meal but for them sitting a parent with two young children, with one screaming so loud it was very disruptive to the rest, right beside us. I can understand how kids can be, but please, no discretion or judgement in where they are seated? Upon checking with the front desk, we were told to pack up and we would be moved soon. Instead of a fun and relaxing morning, we had to repack and wait for hours, "losing" the entire morning until we were given a new key and walked to another section on the same 7th floor. While this was going on, I had emailed the Executive Asst to the Manager Abdullah (who appeared to never be around) and complained. No response at all from either her or any acting manager. They admitted later they got that email, as well as a subsequent one again asking for help, but no response at all while we were guests. One Concierge, India, was excellent as she was able to book us tee times at Red Sky Ranch at the special rate, but earlier in the week as this David was supposedly on city, nothing so we booked ourselves at Beaver Creek Golf Club. The service, in many areas, was average as even the fine crew at Slopeside, where we had most evening meals, forgot table basics and were slow on refills. The food level and several servers there, and one waiter in Spago, were excellent however seemingly in spite of absent top mgmnt. Turn down service was average, as on 2 out of 5 nights they ignored us so no fresh ice or chocolates, something my son looked forward to. Also we really enjoyed the fire pit and nightly marshmallow roasting but was surprised to see the Ritz charge for graham crackers and a slice of chocolate for S'mores. My wife and I stayed at an Auberge property earlier this year and they were provided, not "charged for". Pool service was average, nothing special as I had to track down servers a couple of times for service. Again this is a Ritz Carlton, if you profess to be 5 star, then you need to deliver. This property did not. After returning home 2 days after checking out, I finally received a call from someone in mgmt. he apologized for the problems and assured me if we came again, or at my next stay at a Ritz Carlton, he would make it up to me. I also agree with weathergirl29's comments about the smaller showers. In hindsight, I would have tried the Four Seasons or the Sonnenalp in neighboring Vail for a true 5 star experience. This property did not deliver it to us over the 5 days we were there. Perhaps if I had sprung for the extra $200 @ night for the Club level it would have been better, but this wasn't at the level I expected. In fact, even the Marriott in Vail offers better service in the times I have stayed there over the years. Also it was announced pretty much while we were there the owners of the adjacent and affiliated Ritz-Carlton Club had voted to end their relationship with Ritz Carlton and join Timbers. Ritz Carlton may need to rethink mgmt at this property and certainly promote India and get David retrained in customer service as a Concierge.

Room Tip: be careful about adjoining rooms, the doors allow easy sound transmission. If you value privacy and...
1  Thank WelltraveledWV
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife, 4 year old son and I stayed at this hotel for seven days and six nights the week of August 18-24. Our experience was terrific! We can not recommend it more for a family with young children.

What is most commendable about this hotel is the service. Not only did they make my wife and I feel welcome and valued, but they went out of their way to provide random acts of kindness to our son to make his experience good. Examples of this included: the day we arrived, as they were making a fire in the lobby, asking if he wanted to tear the newspaper to stuff under the wood; bringing the hotel dog, Bachelor, to our room for a visit since we were away from the hotel when he had visiting hours earlier that day; the chef at Spago, the main restaurant in the hotel, inviting us to the kitchen to make with him the pizza that our son had just ordered; the bartender in the hotel running out to the pool restaurant in a downpour to ask if they would still make an ice cream sundae for our son even though they were closed; giving a giant stuffed toy dog to our son one day when he was a little down. We could go on and on. Every time we walked into or out of the lobby, people said hi to us by name and stopped to talk to our son.

The quality and cleanliness of the hotel was as you would expect a Ritz Carlton to be--excellent. (Apparently the hotel just did a major room renovation.) We stayed in a one bedroom residential suite that had a kitchen. We ate breakfast and a few lunches in the room, which came with pots and pans and basic cooking utensils. The living room and bedroom were great and the spacious bathroom, wonderful

Reviewing this hotel before booking, I saw some complaints that it is not located in the heart of Beaver Creek or Vail. We actually found it's setting up on the mountain, somewhat secluded to be a plus. It was not too crowded or loud. And when we wanted to go into Beaver Creek, they simply call the shuttle bus for you. It's there in 5 minutes and it's a 10 minute ride down to Beaver Creek. We had a rental car and went to Vail a few times. It's a very easy 15 min drive East on I-70.

Given the chance of rain in CO in the afternoon, we took trips every morning, from white water rafting to renting bikes in Beaver Creek to taking the gondola up Vail mountain, all recommended by the hotel concierge, who provided different options at different price points. Her descriptions of the options (pluses and minuses) were spot on. In the afternoons, we hung out around the hotel and at the pool. The pool is heated to 80' and there are three hot tubs around it. Aspen tree surround 3/4 of the pool, providing a pretty setting. The pool staff and service are excellent. The kids game room on the 1st floor is a nice option, with a few free video machines, ping pong, air hockey, etc.

My wife used the spa and loved it.

The food quality was excellent and they were very accommodating of our son's allergy to tree nuts and shrimp.

Overall, we had a fantastic experience and highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Choose the 8th floor club level. Presentation of food served throughout the day beginning with breakfast... Lunch, midday snacks....hors d'oeuvres at 5 and dessert at 8. Beer, wine and premium drinks served in the beautiful club lounge where you can enjoy your food on the balcony. The staff is lowkey but extremely attentive. They will book, reserve or track down almost anythibg for you. The hotel setting is just perfectly set in and around the surrounding mountains.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Richard J
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at the Ritz in Beaver Creek for 3 nights in late July. From the time we arrived to the time we left we felt well taken care of, pampered and spoiled.

Room: We were on their club level, which comes with (of course) the club lounge and various amenities. All of the concierges in the club room were very attentive and welcoming. When we arrived (late evening) they offered us a glass of champagne and some dinner suggestions. We chose to grab a pizza downstairs at the Spago bar (delish!) and then enjoy some more champagne and desserts back in the club lounge. Room was spacious with a balcony and two chairs, fireplace, entryway with a stocked bar (plus coffee machine.) Bathroom was similar to other Ritz layouts - and while it is well-appointed, my one complaint would be the size of the shower...a bit small for a newer resort. Very small complaint though! Plus they were gracious enough to send me a bottle of wine for my birthday, so those small touches more than made up for any small issues.

Pool, Hot tubs: We spent one afternoon by the pool, which gets very crowded in the summertime. I realize that winter is really more of their busy season, but the pool could stand to be a little larger, with more chaise lounges. It was hard for us to find seats. The hot tubs are lovely though, nestled in between small branches from the aspen trees. Picturesque. We still enjoyed our afternoon chilling by the pool.

Spa: We did enjoy using the spa, which was available for use even if you did not book a treatment. The his/her grotto was wonderfully relaxing, and it was never crowded. We spent several hours in here each day just to unwind. Didn't have any treatments, but they looked tempting!

Club Lounge: The lounge has been recently redone/upgraded and it was beautiful. The best part was that there were several chairs/tables out on balconies so that you enjoy the wonderfully brisk and cool weather. We spent every breakfast and cocktail hour out on these balconies. They had hot breakfast items (oatmeal, bacon, sausage, eggs) plus lots of bakery items (muffins, croissants, bagels) and all the spreads. Mimosas were a favorite. Lunch items ranged from hot soups to sandwiches to chips and dip. Cocktail time usually brought out spinach dip, veggies, nuts, cheeses, and usually a few items like smoked salmon or sliced beef filet. And of course you can make yourself mixed drinks or wine. It was a tranquil atmosphere and did not ever feel crowded. (Plus the Ritz chocolate chip cookies - ahhh they get me every time!)

Activities: The resort will set you up with lots of activities like hiking, biking and white water rafting. We hiked and did a whitewater rafting trip, and enjoyed both. The resort handled everything in setting it up and it went very smoothly.

Resort grounds: Loved the fireplaces everywhere! At night they have a big fire in the pit outside and you can roast marshmallows and make s'mores. They had live music (usually an acoustic guitar) that added to the rustic mountain feel of the lodge. Loved it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek
The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!