“Great Property”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
D.C.
“Great Property”
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stayed at the Ritz in the first week of June for two nights. It was our first trip to Colorado, and I guess is a quiet time of the year before schools get out, so the property wasn't very busy. Plus it was a really good value at ~$260/night for a club level room. We have stayed at several Ritz Carlton properties (Miami/South Beach, Jamaica, Biscayne Bay, Sarasota, Pentagon City), and this one definitely met our high standards. The property was beautiful, room was very nice and clean, staff was very helpful. The spa is great - spent some time there every day in the sauna/steam room/plunge/gentleman's lounge/grotto and got a massage (excellent). Club level lounge was very nice - food was great, even though it was the same selections daily. We didn't have any other meals on the property - went to other restaurants in the area which were excellent. Would definitely stay here again - would love to stay here in the winter.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
boulder, co
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Love it! Agree that Spago is really not necessary to expereince. The property is amazing!!! I live in Colorado and would rather visit in the summer to hike, etc. and take advantage of reasonable rates more so than ski season. Lovely staff, spa and place to meet locals.

Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Livermore, Colorado
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I love this hotel. We went right after Thanksgiving with both of our dogs. At arrival they had water bowls and dog treats for our boys. The rooms were comfortable and the common areas are gorgeous. My husband and I had a couples spa treatment and the spa facilities were great. Everyone was friendly and ready to answer your questions. The food was wonderful as well. It was a great experience, we hope to return.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 2 February 2009

This is a busy hotel. It is reasonably large and lots of people come to soak up the ambience. Is it perfect? No. Is it still superb? Yes. I stayed for four days in January to ski. The place is full of life - marvelous! The ski access and ski valet are superb. My room was quiet and pleasant. The concierge was quite willing to send me to superb restaurants in Beaver Creek. Spago was good, no more than that. Still, after a great day of skiing it was nice to have a massage and crash in the beautiful hotel and then stroll to dinner at Spago. Not the best value, but an interesting menu and dinner.

I love the spa. One evening, I staked out a spot in the great room, had a drink, had dinner, enjoyed the fire and just watched the world go by. Excellent! I love to exercise, in particular, to swim. The gym is serviceable to all tastes and the pool is remarkable. Twenty-five yards with dedicated lap lane - it snowed and I swam - just phenomenal. It had the perfect mix between warm water and cold air (for you swimmers out there). A shame about the poor oxygen saturation - what can you do?

What wasn't so great? Yes, Spago is overblown. The turndown service was late - after skiing and a big dinner, I don't want some knocking on my door at 8:45 (zzzzzz).

Still, this hotel has a superb location, the staff wants you to have a good time, it's beautiful, ahhhhhh. Want a cheap vacation? Don't stay here.

• Liked — Posh ski resort
  • Disliked — It would only sound like whining.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank LRswimmer
Nebraska
Reviewed 29 January 2009

The hotel is in a beautiful location. The public areas were nicely decorated and after skiing everyone would gather in the great room for cocktails, warm up by the fireplace and listen to some live music.

The price of food/beverages are extremely expensive - food was good. My big complaint is that there wasn't a small store to buy asprin or chap stick after ski hours. And the room service menu was very limited. Once you are at this Ritz Carlton you have to take the shuttle over to Beaver Creek to get any food to buy. And it is illegal to bring alcoholic beverages to the resort - you are stuck there and have to pay the price for their food and beverages.

The room (228) we had was very well decorated but the noise from mechanical equipment kept me up at night. An no view from the window. The front desk said we could move to a diferent room but we declined because they would only move us down the hall. The noise was constant and we could feel the vibration in bed and when I took a bath.

One day we had to wait til 4:00 to get our room cleaned - as I was sick I didn't appreciate waiting so long and wanted to take a bath. And the front staff wasn't too concerned about me - their comment was that they have until 5:00 to clean. I guess I would have expected the front desk staff to have the cleaners get to our room next and finish the other rooms after.

The room service was excellent. One night I was sick in bed with the humidifier on and the wait person that brought my dinner asked if I was ill. I told her I was and after she set-up our dinner she went back to the kitchen to bring hot tea - I never asked for it but she suggested it would make me feel better (at no charge). That wa the best service we recieved. The front desk appeard to give more acknowledgment to the people checking in to their residence.

There was no coffee or apple cider set up in the AM/PM in the public areas only water.

I didn't visit the spa but heard it was very good. The pool and outdoor areas were very nice especilly the fire pit where you can roast marshmellows.

We were very disappointed that the concierge did not suggest that they would get us snow shoes from Beaver Creek for us to use at the resort. So we had to take a shuttle to Beaver Creek and rent the snow shoes there. For such a highly rated resort we don't feel they went out of their way to help us.

Overall the employes were pretty nice. The highlight was the resident yellow Lab, Bachelor - you can take him out for a walk or hike with you. This hotel also allows customers to bring their dog(s) for a fee . We kept our dogs at home for this trip.

• Liked — Resort Decor
  • Disliked — room was noisy and dusty
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank judyf
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 January 2009

Blew away all my expectations. I have never experienced comfort and customer service like this. The staff continually went above and beyond to ensure every minute of our stay was an amazing experience. If you have the money, the experience of this hotel will be hard to beat.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 3 January 2009

We stayed here 8 nights over Christmas of 2008 and I had a very enjoyable time.

First off: I travel with my children when we ski as my husband does not ski so I needed a hotel that really took care of all the details.

Katie in guest services took care of reserving all my reservations in the Ritz Kids club and transportation too and from Vail/Eagle airport. I also arranged to ship my luggage to the hotel vs flying with it and it was ready to be delivered to my room upon arrival.

The service is fantastic with staff members always greeting guests. Some of the staff even knew our names a few days into our vacation.

The Ritz Kids staff was very good with my children. They have a ski nanny service that will take your child (and gear) to Beaver Creek for their classes and then pick them up. They can even stay from 4-6pm and watch a movie and eat snacks. Although my older son did not go to ski school everyday, he went to the afternoon movie there and he would not miss it. They had so much fun with the other children there and loved the activities. My daughter wouldn't want to leave. This gave me time in the afternoons to go to the spa and unwind after skiing all day.

At night they had Kids Night out at the Ritz Kids. While expensive, I signed the kids up for 3 nights. One evening they swam in the grotto (after closing) and another they had a scavenger hunt in Beaver Creek Village. They had a blast at both.

The food at Spagos was unbelievable. I had a few dinners there and the staff was very attentive. Wolfgang Puck was even there over the holidays and I met him.

The best part is the ski valet.. Besides the convenience of renting my children's ski equipment there (I bring mine) the ski valet will help put on your boots and take them off! I could get very used to this especially after skiing all day and being frozen stiff. A friendly person there would assist me in getting my boots off and then bring back my shoes. When going to ski, my skiis were laying out in the snow just outside the doors and just a short distance to the chair lift. The other hotels I have stayed in while skiing didn't do all of this!

The Ritz and Beaver Creek also provide a shuttle service to Beaver Creek and car service for wherever you need to go. There was no need for me to rent a car this year as I flew into Vail/Eagle.

The rooms are clean and the maid service and turndown service was excellent. There were water bottles in our room everyday and fresh ice. This is a must for someone up in that elevation.

One day Katie in guest services even gave our family a jar of candy canes and chocolate morsals delivered to the room. That was really nice and unexpected.

The spa is fantastic and I enjoyed unwinding in the indoor grotto and soothing my muscles in the steam room. They have a separate womens area and grotto (and a mens) if you don't want to co-mingle.

The front doormen were so nice, they even gave my children cowboy hats the day were were flying back home.

Oh yes, for those that celebrate Hanukkah, the hotel has a menorah set up in their lobby with chocolate gelt underneath. Of course they also have a huge Christmas tree which also has dreidles and Christmas decorations. On Christmas eve, Santa and his wife and a Christmas elf read stories to the children by the fire. From what I found out, they actually work there....Santa is a chef I heard and they had what must be the most realistic elf I've ever seen. Many parents couldn't believe how good that elf was! I hope to see them all again!

If you are allergic to dogs, I encourage you to take Claritan or Allavert with you. I had to go buy some and I'm not even allergic, but people bring their pets here and I guess I got really sensative to the dander when I was in the dryer climate.

The last day I found out they had a "secret" gameroom. I'm sure it's not a secret but it's too bad I found out about it the last day. They have a Pacman/Galaga machine in a meeting room, pool table, and air hockey.....all free. That was a lot of fun. I played Galaga until I couldn't anymore.

The General Manager has a great crew there and he was always out and about the hotel introducing himself to guests. The hotel is a great choice if you are new to skiing and don't want to do all the hard work. Very turnkey.

I hope to be back again next year. Best ski resort I have stayed in and definitely on par with other Ritz Carlton's I have stayed at.

• Liked — Service, Service, Service!
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank flgirlaol
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek
The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!