“Wow. Couple of minor nits, but loved this hotel.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Greenwich, CT
“Wow. Couple of minor nits, but loved this hotel.”
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Stayed here for 7 nights over President's Week with my wife and our 3 kids (3, 7 and 9). We stayed in one of their residential suites which had a king bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room, with our little guy sleeping on a rollaway. We had a small kitchen and dining area too.

Pros:
- very nicely furnished and decorated rooms
- very helpful staff for the most part
- valet guys, bellmen and in particular the ski valet guys were all very helpful and nice
- upon arrival, the bellman will unload all your stuff including ski equipment which will then be whisked away to the ski valet
- when you pick up your skis in the morning, they will ask if you are taking the shuttle to the village (see cons below) or going skiing, and if the latter they will put your skis on the snow outside ready for you to ski over to the chair lift which is literally right outside the door
- when you return from skiing, either in the shuttle (which works well coming home) or skiing directly to the hotel, they will take your equipment to be dried ready for the next day.
- they have everything you need for skiing there - ski rentals (more expensive than in town apparently), lift tickets, a shop to buy (at inflated prices) any items you have forgotten or lost, and you can even arrange for ski lessons to depart from the hotel instead of going to the main ski school
- spa is beautiful (my wife told me to say that, I didn't use it)
- outdoor pool and hot tubs provide a nice way to relax at the end of the day
- they light a nice big fire outside at 3pm and provide marshmallows for roasting (only $2 for the graham crackers and chocolate to make smores - couldn't they have provided those for free too?)
- the hotel has a pet dog called Bachelor who is usually available for walks and to play with, except he was undergoing "remedial training" when we were there so the kids were unable to walk him while we were there (apparently he has been pulling on his leash and been a bit over-excited recently). I put this as a pro because I think it's a nice idea and we saw him one day and he seemed like a lovely dog.
- Buffalo Bar is a fun relaxing place for a drink, snack or dinner; very kid-friendly, and they had the Olympics on a big TV which my 9 year old loved to watch while we were eating dinner
- Lots of good dining options in Beaver Creek itself or Vail, but the best food we had during our trip (and the best in many years) was at Zach's Cabin which you get to via a sleigh ride from the hotel (book through the concierge well in advance). It's a lot of fun to ride behind a snow cat on the way up the mountain, and the food was exceptional (try the elk tenderloin). They have a buffet for the kids so they don't have to wait for their food (our younger 2 kids thought this was a very good thing). Our only complaint was that there was a busybody sitting near us who wanted our 3 year old to turn down his video game which was keeping him entertained and a lot quieter than he would have been without it, but who then proceeded to take about 10 group photos with the flash temporarily dazzling us without asking if we minded. But really this was a very nice evening, with great service (and quick too), and an unforgettable sleigh ride up to the restaurant. I preferred Zach's to Beano's (which we went to a few years ago) as it's more casual and the food was better; in addition, the sleigh for Zach's leaves from the hotel whereas you have to get into the village for the Beano's sleigh).
- the shuttle bus service runs on a constant loop until 5.30pm, so we rode it into town one evening for dinner, and when we were done the waiter called the company which runs the buses and we were picked up 10 minutes later in town and driven back to the hotel. It's not a hotel service - it's dial-a-ride or something like that - but it saves having to drive into town where parking isn't easy and also enables the parents to drink without worrying about who will drive home. The shuttle bus works well except in the mornings (see below).

Cons:
- the shuttle bus is supposed to run every 10-15 minutes from the hotel into the village, and thereafter on an on-call basis. On our second day there I had to wait 20 minutes with my 3 year-old and when the bus came it was already 2/3 full because it had been to the "Club" first (timeshare residents). On our 3rd day, my wife didn't have to wait as long as I did but on both days the bus was packed with little kids standing on the 10 minute ride to the village which is not very safe and should not have been acceptable to the hotel. The hotel doesn't run this service, so complaints don't have much effect other than "if everyone complains then the hotel will complain to the company which runs the buses and maybe they'll improve the service" as we were told.
- no buffet breakfast, despite being told by someone at the front desk that there was a buffet. There used to be a buffet but maybe they are cutting costs. I know some people don't care about this, but when we are skiing we like to get a good breakfast, and to be able to do so without having to wait for 15 minutes for a cup of coffee to arrive (as happened the first day). The food in Spago (hotel's restaurant) was decent but slow. There's a small deli with cold items but really it's not great and can take a while as it is frequently busy in the morning. We had room service on 3 occasions and that was the best way to enjoy breakfast, and I highly recommend doing this, especially if you have a dining area like we had in our suite. The blueberry pancakes were great, i never had to wait for more than 1 ring when I called in our order the night before, and the people who delivered the food in the morning (always on time) were very friendly.

Other:
- Our suite could have used a second bathroom or powder room at least, and I gather that some suites do have a powder room instead of the kitchen, so I guess you can take your pick as to what you want in the suite. It was a little crowded with 5 of us in there but really the kids were so tired after a day's skiing that they all went to sleep quickly and so did their parents.
- The hotel has a ski nanny program which we didn't use as our 3 year old was too young. The idea is that the nanny takes your kids over to ski school and brings them home afterwards. The problem with this is that it can take some discussion with the ski instructors to find the right group for your kid and I don't trust someone who has just met my kids for the first time to do this. But you should be aware that it only takes about 20-25 minutes (including time on the lift) to ski from the hotel to the main part of the resort where the ski school is located, and the chair lift at the hotel opens at 8.30, so it's very easy to get kids there in time for ski school at 9.15 (we took our 7 and 9 year olds that way 4 days out of 6). Similarly, skiing back again at the end of the day is also relatively easy although there's more traversing in this direction so younger kids will find it harder, especially if there's powder at all. If our youngest had been old enough, we would have skied with him in the morning too and wouldn't have needed the shuttle bus (see above).
- the ski school at BC is a little chaotic at times, and we found that the ski school at Vail is a lot less crowded (we went there one day). Ski school tickets are good at either place, as are lift tickets, so it's worth bearing in mind that Vail is only 10 minutes down the highway. If you do that, drive to the Golden Peak kids' center, drop the kids off (drop off is literally 20 feet from the ski school building), and then drive to the next building where they have valet parking. Very easy, and it'll probably take no longer than using the hotel's shuttle bus by the time you wait for it and ride it to the village.
- the hotel is pet-friendly (dogs) - so be prepared to encounter dogs outside by the pool and inside the lobby.

All in all, it was a fantastic vacation. The hotel is beautiful and there are some very nice touches. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank wjr06831

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Even though I was quoted a price much less than what I ended up paying, i had quite a wonderful day in the spa while my husband and friends skiied. And our room was so lovely; I hope they invite us back again!

Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
St. Louis, Missouri,
Reviewed 25 January 2010

We just stayed for a long ski weekend at this hotel. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the rooms, as one would expect for a Ritz-Carlton, are very well appointed (particularly the bathrooms). If you are a skier, it couldn't be a better setup - the ski valet helps you put on and take off your boots and your skis are waiting for you in the snow right outside the door (which is about 25 feet from the lift!).

The service was very friendly, particularly the bartenders and waitstaff in the bar. "Cowboy Dan" also served up drinks around the outside firepit and the hot tubs.

The only possible complaint would be the $40 a day charge for parking which seems prohibitive, even for such an exclusive property.

Bottom line, you cannot go wrong with this hotel if you are a skier - the only problem is once you ski this way you are spoiled forever....

Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 24 January 2010

My fiance and I stayed here before Christmas in a suite and it was one of the best skiing/hotel experiences we've ever had. It was extremely charming-a very Eurpean ski feel to it. Through Amex we had free breakfast at Spago every morning so we were truly spoiled here. For dinner at Spago order the tuna cones appetizer- the best thing on the menu. The lobby decor was festive and beautiful- a real winter wonderland. Dogs are welcome here and we are dog lovers so that was a plus. Everyone here from the doorman to the housekeeping was always happy to help and make your stay wonderful. The ski valet was such a treat and the apres ski scene was great. The skiing was excellent- a ski-in/ski-out hotel and having the ability to ski village to village was a lot of fun. The spa was excellent- massages, steam rooms and saunas were all great. Guests here were relaxed and happy- a great energy to the place. It was a spurge but we felt that we got what we paid for. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 January 2010

My husband and I just returned from 4 nights at the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch with a group of friends. This is the ultimate place for people are laid-back and young at heart, but still want to get spoiled. It has all the bells and whistles of a high-end ski resort (ski valet, great location, Wolfgang Puck restaurant) but has the feel of a cozy log cabin built by your great grandfather. People wander around in snow gear, read around the fire in the great room, a few people brought their dogs (I have never seen so many gorgeous dogs!).

The Highlights
- So much to do: Skiing/snowboarding obvi. Nice fitness center; never too crowded. Also has some daily activities like yoga or snowshoeing. Spa has women's facilities and men's, including a steam room, sauna, warm grotto and cool bath. There is also a co-ed grotto and a giant hot tub outside. You will see people wandering around in their bath robes in the afternoon/evening...It's sort of funny. Shuttle down to Beaver Creek village for shopping, ice skating, etc. You can walk the in-house dog, a lab named Bachelor... it goes on and on. Great for families, or just for couples.
- Rooms: Very comfy beds, with a fireplace and beautiful bathroom. We were provided with a coffee machine and humidifer. The alarm clock has an Ipod dock.
- Restaurants: Excellent. We ate breakfast at Spago every morning and it was truly delicious and exciting every day.

Some Considerations:
- I didn't call ahead to make sure that my husband and I got a king bed, so we ended up with double beds. The front desk told me they couldn't switch us because the hotel was full, but would let us know if something opened up. I then found out the last day that two of our guy friends on the trip who were sharing a room got placed in a king and had requested double beds. They could have easily switched us, but never gave us the option.
- The walls are paper thin. I could here EVERYTHING my neighbors did and said, and one night it was difficult to fall asleep.
- Service was mixed. Sometimes I felt like they were understaffed? Waiting in line for the concierge, waiting forever for a waiter to take our order etc. But then once you got their attention, they were extremely helpful and accomodating.
- Business center is terrible. There is one computer for use and the internet is REALLY slow and the printer was tempermental. Bring your own laptop.
- Valet parking at the Ritz is $30 or 40/day...so we parked for free at the bottom of the hill :)

I'm not sure my husband and I need all of this luxury on our ski trips, so I doubt we'll stay here again. If you are not high maintenance, you can get a condo nearby that still allows you to take advantage of the facilities at the Ritz but is more low key.

However I'm so glad I experienced this beautiful place at least once.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
boston
Reviewed 2 January 2010

The Ritz Bachelor Gulch is outstanding. From start to finish we had an excellent vacation. There wasn't very much snow, but we had a great time skiing. Would have been happier with more glade skiing, but were happy with the ease of moving around the mountain (entire Beaver Creek Mt). Very easy to go to Vail to ski as well. We used Green Transportation for all transportation - loved their service. We ate breakfast at Spago everyday - the BEST! We ate at Spago for lunch (ski in, Ritz employees help you take off your boots and give you slippers and then help you get back out again) and Spago for Christmas dinner. Outstanding restaurant! The service at the hotel was great - employees were very nice and eager to please. Hot chocolate and warm chocolate chip cookies are served everyday at 3:15 at the outside firepit (there are also marshmallows to roast everyday from 3:15 - ???). It is a beautiful hotel that offers guest a very sweet slice of life - takes all of the effort out of getting your family out on the slopes.
The only drawback to our vacation was the ski shop in the hotel. We brought our boots with us and filled out lots of forms in advance to rent demo skis. The staff was not very knowledgable about skis, it took a while for us to get skis, and all of the paperwork I did on line Ihad to done again. I expected to have skis ready (tuned) for us but instead we got skis that were just turned in and should have been tuned up. We felt the skis we were given were random choices, did not reflect our abilities. My husband had to go through the skiis and get us different ones. That was the ONLY problem. The ski valet service was great! I loved this vacation and will go back again DEFINITELY!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 22 December 2009

One of the hotes that I struggle between rating a 4 and a 5. My wife, 4 year old daughter, and I spent 5 nights here using Marriott points in mid December. The ski trip turned out to be one of the best trips we have been at. The hotel is perfectly situated in Bachelor Gulch, a part of the overall Beaver Creek Ski area. It is completely ski-in/ski-out which worked wonderfully. We upgraded for around $80 a night for the club level and access to the club lounge where we ate most of our meals.

Pros -

1) Ski valet - so nice for someone to store your boots and skis each night
2) Location - truly beautiful and we had a great view from our room overlooking the lift
3) Other guests - Very social (but not particularly uppity) crew who also was staying on the club level
4) Ski school for my daughter and group ski lessons for my wife were very well conducted via the Beaver Creek ski school.
5) Very nice - Japanese quality spa
6) Bachelor (the hotel dog) - wondeful yellow lab that my daughter wanted to take home

Cons -

1) While we admit we expected a lot, we didn't find the workers (with the exception of Lucy who was great) in the club lounge to be as great as we had hoped. We had recently stayed at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay and overall rated the lounge and the level of service better than here. Little things like not really trying to get to know the names of the guests, not realizing that it might be smart to put out apple juice which most the kids staying on the club level floor wanted, and just not particularly going above and beyond.
2) Room had a great view, was pretty large, but wasn't luxurious.

These cons being said, we highly recommend the hotel and will come back.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#6 of 18 in Beaver Creek

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!