“Breakfast for two, $72.... And it was supposed to be included”

The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We have skied here many times but had never stayed. It being off season in the mountains we decided to take them up on their off peak offer for the bed and breakfast package. The rooms and facilities are very nice but the staff was not up to four star caliber. We stayed for three nights and each day had a new, not what you would expect from the Ritz, experience.

The restaurant is extremely overpriced. So much so that you can not order juice, coffee, eggs and toast for two and pay less than $70. This would have been ok except, breakfast was to have been included till we discovered it only covered the first $50 per day. Felt like a real bait and switch. The Vail Valley was loaded with other great locations and great values for off peak. The Ritz shouldmleave you feling restored and rejuvenated, not fleeced.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FT14424

Reviewed 9 September 2010

This place is heavenly. When it was time to check out, my husband practically had to drag me away, kicking and screaming. I could hardly imagine a more perfect place to have a ski vacation. The Ritz at Bachelor Gulch is a convenient 30 minute drive from Eagle Vail airport. Our one-bedroom suite (which included a full kitchen, dining area, and living room) was fabulous, spacious, and so clean. The service (from room service, to concierge, to ski valet) was fantastic. And the location of the hotel (steps away from ski lift) couldn't be better. There was great daily music and entertainment and the drinks at the Spago bar were phenomenal. And there was tons to do with my 2 year old daughter, as this is an extremely child-friendly place. I also had some good experiences at the spa (although my massage was nothing to rave about). With all of this said, I do have a few complaints: (1) Coming from NYC, I'm used to eating delicious food. With one pleasant exception (the 4 Eagle Ranch, which is a MUST if you have kids), I found that the food at the hotel restaurants and at the restaurants recommended by the hotel was very expensive (NYC+ prices) and mediocre at best. I should have eliminated this problem by cooking dinner in our room, but I kept thinking that the next restaurant would be better. (2) Shortly after we arrived, I learned that the hotel's rooms are a mix of rental rooms and residences and that you can rent the residences directly from their owners for far cheaper than the price charged by the hotel and that you can still avail yourself of all of the hotel's services. Basically, you can get the exact same thing for cheaper. (3) Finally, when given the choice between a "mountain view" for an extra $200/night or a "resort view" for $200 less, we picked the mountain view. This was a mistake, as the "resort view" actually offers a nicer view than the "mountain view." Oddly, the "mountain view" is actually a view of the ski lift, the pool that guests swim in, and some picnic tables set up for guests to eat at (one might actually consider this a view of the resort), whereas the "resort view" is a stunning view of Colorado's landscape, mountains, etc. Notwithstanding my complaints, this was an amazing vacation. It just would have been more amazing had I known the above.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank BMR10023
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Perfect summer visit. I thought the service was excellent, Spago great, and I do alot of spas and sometimes think they are all the same but truly one of the best massages I have had all year! Highly recommend hotel. Rooms comfortable--executive suite had 2 bathrooms. Pool relaxing and good service.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2010

My fiance and I were lucky enough to stay at this property w/ a larger group.
The property, the "room", the view, the staff, and the weather were AMAZING.
Thank you for an awesome vacation!!!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I love Ritz-Carlton hotels but this resort is downright unbeatable (I have been 3 different times). From the moment you arrive at the seculded hotel, you are greeted by a fantastic door staff. The doormen learn your name from luggage tags, wisk away your skis to the ski concierge without you even noticing, and usher you into the hotel to be greeted by a spiked cider at the front desk. They then tell you about the hotel en route to the room and make sure everything is satisfactory before they leave.

The experience of check-in is just a taste of what's to come. From the live music during apres-ski time to the s'mores that you can cook by the fire at night, everything exceeded my expectations. My friends and I would just order a pitcher of beer and relax in the hot tub at night (or enjoy the spa/grotto). The hotel restaurant is good, but we often went off-site for more variety.

I cannot say enough positive things about this hotel. It sets the standard for a luxury ski vacation.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank eaglebac
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We were very excited about staying at this hotel, we had heard good things. When we arrived we were taken to the club level for check in and it went very fast. We were asked if we would like to make dinner reservations and we said yes, at Spago, in the hotel. We were not told for a couple of days that Spago is only open on the weekends. We were sent to an Italian restaurant at the reccomendation of the girl working in the club level, the food was horrible and the atmoshphere worse. The only restaurant open was the Buffalo Bar and it had a pool table and loud music, more like something you would see in a Hoilday Inn, not a 5 star hotel. It is probably easier to just list the things that went wrong. The cable was out for 2 days, the tub was dirty, we did not have maid service until 5 o'clock one day, the music at the pool was so loud that we were on the 8th floor and could not take a nap for the loud base, we were given incorrect directions that made us an hour late to our dinner reservation, the music on the club level was 50's music and it was very loud and unsettling. We have stayed at many Ritz Carlton's and the club level has always been a relaxing expreience, but the music ruined the ambiance at this hotel. There were 4 children under the age of 10 and they played chase and screamed and the parents were never asked to refrain there kids from screaming and running. The spa was wonderful and the massage was one of the best I have ever had, that was definitely the highlight. I would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chill1965
Reviewed 24 June 2010

The service here is consistent with the company's standards which means excellent!

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
The Sebastian - Vail
Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!