“Osprey Still On During Off Season: Great Food, Activities, and Service”

The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My best friend Delfino and I were engaged last Labor Day weekend during our food lovers “Stay-Cation” in Austin. A year later, rather than actually getting married, we decided to celebrate the fact that we were happily engaged. Of course, this commemoration had to include our favorite thing: food. When we travel, we travel for the food.

After hearing good things about it from friends who'd recently moved to the area, we decided to visit The Osprey.

Getting There:
The Osprey in Beaver Creek is located in the scenic central Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

When visiting, your options are to fly into the Denver airport, 120 miles from Beaver Creek, or land at the Eagle Airport, 20 miles from Beaver Creek.

We opted to fly into Denver, which has less pricey airfares, but is a two and a half hour drive to Beaver Creek.

The Osprey delivered beautifully on all the categories in which I judge a hotel: the comfort, quaintness and cuteness of their rooms, the caliber of their coffee, the food, their service and the fanciness of what my mother used to call “smell-em-up-ems” (i.e. soaps, lotion, etc.).

The Osprey’s bath amenities (i.e. smell-em-up-em’s) are infused with eucalyptus and lavender essential oil. This immediately won me over, as lavender is my favorite scent.

We were too exhausted from our travels to fully take in the resort upon our arrival. What I do remember is the very warm and real welcome we received from the concierge.

I also noticed the sleek electric fireplace that adorned one of the walls in our room. Although it was a little over 60 degrees outside, we still turned it on just because we could.

I fondly remember the comfortable bed with soft linens and cushy pillows to rest my head on.

The next morning, I had time to explore my temporary abode. The first thing that I noticed was a ski lift right outside our room’s window. The Osprey is the closest hotel to a ski lift than at any other hotel in North America, making it perfect for ski bunnies, which I am not. However, I can see ski bunnies taking advantage of this convenience and loving it.

The Food:

Del and I really only tried the breakfast at the resort and loved every bite. One morning, the chef prepared our breakfast and oh my sweet goodness! His food felt like home. Each bit felt like heaven is exploding in my mouth. The presentation, the flavors, the everything.

I found myself cooing to my food. “Oh bacon jam, I love you so.” And I told the tartlette that it each bite I took of it was bursting with fresh earthiness and rays of sun-kissed juiciness.

We also visited near by restaurants in the village and had a very fun date night at The Metropolitan in Beaver Creek and at La Tour in Vail.

The Amenities:

Although we didn’t hit the slopes because the summer didn’t render itself to snow, and my body didn’t render itself to being reminded of my tragic non-triumph of winter sports, we did hit the fitness center located next to our room. We felt that it was the right thing to do after an eight course paired dream dinner at La Tour the night before.

That first morning workout would be the first and last time we’d see that place. Let’s be real: most people are more apt to use the free DVD movie dispenser the resort has than they are to use the resort’s gym.

The gym did receive a few guilty glances each morning as we made our way to the complimentary gourmet coffee and delicious chef inspired breakfasts that we dined on in the lounge and living room areas of the restaurant.

Other amenities include steam showers, plush robes (which I loved prancing around in and lounging in just because I could), fully stocked herbal teas and gourmet coffee, MP3 docking stations, large flat screen TV, DVD player with DVD rentals offered in the lobby and complimentary high-speed wireless Internet.

Del’s favorite part of the room were the his and her sinks. He had his side and I had mine. So, I was free to leave the cap off MY toothpaste on MY side if I wanted to.

I get freakishly hot when I sleep and as is the case with most of the resorts in the area, there is no central air throughout the hotel. Del and I found ourselves rather hot at night and not in the newly engaged way – but in the, please-stay-on-your-side-of-the-bed-and-don’t-even- think-about-cuddling-with-me-tonight kinda way.

Although we cranked down the air in our room to its lowest temperature, the room stayed a warm 70 degrees. Then we discovered the wonders of good ol window lifting. When we did that, and trusted that the nice looking Beaver Village people were safe village people,our room was made perfect and filled with the breezy crisp Colorado evening air.

Activities:

During our visit, we experienced the last hurrah’s of the summer: the weekly Vail Farmer’s Market, Gourmet on Gore Food Festival and Oktoberfest.

Each event was a fun way to experience the locals and the local cuisine.

Delfino and I will try to make it out to Colorado to visit during the winter wonderland season and to, of course, taste the winter menus.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JetteFM

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had a coupon off the internet for a king room for 2 nights for $199 per night. They put us in a small queen one bedroom. It had no towel racks for hand towels and a very small sink with no counter space. The room was 62 degrees so we tried to get the heat on but the heat was off in this part of the hotel. They brought us a small space heater which did help. I would have been o.k. with this but then I saw the king sized room across the hall. It was night and day difference. The manager was good when we checked out and said she was sorry about the room mix up and offered us a free night if we go back. I would definitely go for the king size room!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cgersbach, Front Office Manager at The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Tabgraphics,

Thank you for taking the time to respond about your recent stay at The Osprey Hotel. All of us at the hotel, and throughout RockResorts, work hard to consistently exceed our guest's expectations and when we fail to do that, it is a disappointment. For this please accept my sincere apology. We have been working with our entire team to address all of these issues to assure situations like these do not happen in the future. As discussed, please contact me directly as we would love the opportunity to make this up to you.

We appreciate your business and thank you for your recent stay! We look forward to the opportunity to host you again.

Warm Regards,

Hallie Schiff
Front Office Manager
The Osprey, A RockResort

P: 970-754-7397
F: 970-7547340
Front Desk: 970-754-7400

Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at The Osprey on our annual summer trip to Vail / Beaver Creek to visit our son. We like to stay at a different location each time so this was our first visit. The location is perfect for either a summer or winter vacation. We had a room with a balcony looking across the street towards the village. We booked thw room through Priceline and had no problems. You must realize, however, that the nightly $30 resort fee is not included in the price. The room was nice with lots of windows. The staff was great and we enjoyed the tapas menu in the lounge.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My family and I had the opportunity to stay in one of the two condo suites at The Osprey just last week. It was our first time in Beaver Creek and we were beyond satisfied with this resort. The location was perfect! Right across the street from the lift and village shopping and restaurants. Everything from checking in to checking out was absolutely fantastic! The staff was courteous and attentive and met and exceeded our requests and expectations. This is also a very kid-friendly resort as well - room service caters to kids as does a beautiful pool deck!
We will definitely be back to Beaver Creek and we definitely plan on staying back here at The Osprey!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the back of the property which was quiet and within arms-length of the ski lift...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cathy D
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We loved staying at the Osprey during our summer trip to Colorado. It's their "off" season so you can get a great deal if you stay during the summer. If its peace and quiet you want - along with great mountain scenery, you can't go wrong at the Osprey. We stayed in a king deluxe and couldn't believe the amount of space in the room. The bed was wonderful as was the large bathroom. We loved the steam shower - perfect after a long day of shopping and hiking. The service was fantastic! The front desk, the valet, and all people associated with the Osprey made you feel welcome and special. We'd love to come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I have multiple sclerosis, which can make travel a challenge. Everyone at this hotel went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was the best. The (extremely comfortable) bed was a bit too high for me to climb into without assistance from my partner. I mentioned this to Luke at the front desk, and by the time we returned from dinner a small, folding stepladder had magically appeared by my bedside! I don't know if someone ran out to Home Depot to get the thing--but given the overall level to attention and detail all of the staff here give you, it really wouldn't surprise me!

I have stayed at other 5-star properties where you get the feeling that the staff, while attentive, are all just reciting a script that someone in Ohio drafted and told them to deliver verbatim. The Osprey couldn't be more different. You got the feeling that people were not just automatons, reciting the inevitable "my pleasure" that some other hotels need to excise from their collective lexicons, but rather were real humans who were authentically concerned with your well-being and wanted to do everything within their power to ensure that your stay was as enjoyable as possible. The fact that the rooms are gorgeous, have fantastic views and about the best shower I've ever used are just icing on the proverbial cake.

If you want to do yourself a favor, book a room at the Osprey at Beaver Creek. Luke, Oliver, Devin, Tatiana and General Manager Chris will all make it their personal duty to ensure that your stay is truly unforgettable. I'd give them 6-stars if I could!!!

Room Tip: The fourth floor rooms have vaulted ceilings which makes them feel much larger. Try to snag one if...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ross B
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My husband stayed here for One night during our colorado get away. Let me star by saying on the trip we stayed at three different rock resorts... This is one of them. All the hotels blew us away. staff was super friendly, rooms were clean and updated, nice Huge bathroom!

Nice thing was that the village was right across the street for great shopping and eating.

We rented bikes across the street and went up the ski lift with them to mountain bike.

STAY HERE YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
The Charter at Beaver Creek
#9 of 18 in Beaver Creek
Hyatt Mountain Lodge
The Sebastian - Vail

Been to The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort? Share your experiences!