“Not a great experience”
Review of City East Motel

City East Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abbotsford
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at this motel because it was close to the venue in Collingwood where I was holding an event. Unfortunately it wasn't a very pleasant experience and I would definitely not return.

The rooms are very basic, breakfast is a couple of bread slices and cereal packs left on a tray in your room. There is a long corridor in between the rooms - when I stayed, the lights out were kept on all night and it was quite bright in the room even with the curtains shut.
The fact that you're right on the corridor also means that you hear every single noise.

The other thing I didn't like was the fact that the main entrance was open all night and it didn't feel very safe - there was no security and nobody at reception.

On the plus side, the room was clean and spacious. Facilities like iron, kettle, toaster and hardyer were all provided.
If you're just looking for a place to crash one night, it will do the job but I feel there are plenty of nicer options in Melbourne for the price you pay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lidiascotto

Reviewed 1 December 2013

A while ago I stayed in the twin share room with friends, and although I can't complain due to the budget price, I did say I would probably not return as I felt the cons outweighed the pros. However my boyfriend wanted to celebrate a special occasion in a spa room, and right now we needed a budget room so I returned.

I must say, I was definitely pleasantly surprised. The family spa room was quite spacious, the bed was a queen, there was a couch and table to sit on, a walk in robe with plenty of room. The spa itself had more than enough room for two people (In fact, the spa was identical to the ones at Rydges) and the shower's water pressure was great. There was also no stale cigarette smoke smell this time (Whether that room has a better demographic or whether they've combated the problem - I don't know) so the stay this time was a pleasant one.

The only problem I had was like last time, it was a bit difficult to sleep and stay asleep due to the light coming in from outside. Even using bobby pins to shut the curtains properly and a towel on the bottom of the door didn't do much help, as the light poured in from below the curtains. If they could get longer curtains , this would probably completely get rid of this problem.

After this experience, I probably would return, but only if I was staying in the spa room. If you're sensitive to light like I am, I wouldn't expect a perfect's night sleep.

Room Tip: I would only recommend the Spa Room if you're not travelling from interstate, but if you're...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I was only looking for cheap accommodation in Melbourne with some form of privacy and my own bathroom. I came across this place and discovered that I was pleasantly surprised. Sure it's a little noisy (you can hear every footstep other guests make), but the facilities where very sufficient for what I needed. Showers were hot and had good pressure (bring a bar of soap). Working out to be a little over $100 a night, I will definitely come back if I ever need to stay in Melbourne on the cheap. 10 minute walk from Collingwood train station which instantly connects you to the city. Located quite close to the city and will cost you no more than $12 in a taxi to get you there. The Yorkshire Hotel next door serves great food and beer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second level as you may hear people walking above you on the ground level.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank MattieG75
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Great position, great value, but getting very tired , run down and grubby. The free complimentery breakfast has now gone too. Hopfully they will pull up there socks as I would like to continue to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Have stayed several times for one night, as it was a good price and I wanted that particular location. Most happy with the price. Forget the breakfast, didn't touch it. Will stay there again. I like the free parking (hate how others charge extra for this). Staff friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2012

When I put in my request for "no stairs", I should have received a message back saying something like 'we regret we cannot accommodate you, as our rooms are only accessible by stairs' ! The room itself was fine in all aspects, but I climb stairs with the greatest of difficulty, so I was not in a good frame of mind when I reached it. Because of the stairs only, I will not be returning. Sorry folks.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed 5 October 2012

The service was courteous and helpful, unfortunately there are no open windows so you must run the air con unit at all times. Great location close to pubs and restaurants for dinning and not too far from the city. Open 24/7 for late check in, overall fair value for the money.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbotsford
Comfort Hotel East Melbourne
Quality Suites Beaumont Kew
Magnolia Court Boutique
Magnolia Court Boutique
#147 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to City East Motel? Share your experiences!