“A fun quick stay...mini vacation”

Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Boulder, Colorado
“A fun quick stay...mini vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

A fun one or two night get away awaits you at this Hotel in Blackhawk. The city has a no smoking policy so for those of us that don't smoke..its great, the casino is fresh and pleasant to sit and play.
The rooms are spacious and attractive with nice 5 piece baths. There is a pretty rooftop pool that has large windows with awesome views. It was closed the night we stayed for some sanitary reason. We tried to see the hotel spa but unless you have a booking there you cannot go into the area. The attendant told me that most services are booked 2 weeks in advance so I would advice if you know your plans to book early...I think they need to put on more staff if this is the case.
We ate at the buffet ($17.00 ea) and being from Boulder, Co we found the price reasonable but food sub par and a little institutional. The fresh fruit was very good. Breakfast at the Fireside Inn was nice.
Weekday room rates are around $109 to $139 but jump up about $100/night more on weekends. If you think you might win in the casino to make up the difference... IYD and well it didn't seem like the slots (which dominated this casino like most) payed out much although we played a little anyway. Hey, you are here so why not??

Room Tip: Most rooms are the same so only difference would be facing east or west toward the town of Blackhawk...
1 Thank skygirl2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Recently I had the opportunity to be a guest at this casino/resort. I was so impressed by the culture of this organization. Everywhere we travelled within the grounds the staff let us know how much they appreciated our visit and what a great place it is to work with Ameristar/Pinnacle.

1 Thank Lori F
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We visited this property in late August, 2014. Ameristar arranged for a limo to pick us up at the Airport upon the arrival of our flight. The only problem was our flight was there but the Limo wasn't. 2 hours after the "missing limo" event began we finally procured a rental vehicle and headed into the mountains. If you are an out of towner I can not recommend enough to you to take a trek to Black Hawk. It is about an hour from Denver Airport and the drive has some of the coolest scenery you will lay eyes on. It took us about an hour and fifteen minutes on a Friday so it was easily manageable even after a 2.5 hour flight.
The initial contact we had with this property was the giant mix up with the limo. That is an important detail when the first facet of the trip was a scheduled dinner with a group from around the Country. We missed the dinner because of a mistake in scheduling by Ameristar. Ameristar (specifically their Director of Marketing) was contacted in the midst of this problem and owned the problem wholly. I was initially a tad upset about the whole thing because we missed the event because of the screw up. However when the Director calls you and makes no excuses, and asks humbly for the opportunity to "make it up to you" , that goes a long way to knowing this place cares a lot about their guests. A lot of people will point fingers or blame others when mistakes like this happen. It is easy to do that in a large company when one person singularly is not going to make or break a P&L if they leave mad. This Property stepped up and did the right thing. I have to say it was impressive at every level and I will recommend and be back to this venue as often as we are able. On to the good stuff.......
Hotel: A++ Clean as a hospital. Staff impeccably courteous and attentive. We were upgraded to a Presidential Suite. If you receive an opportunity to spend a night in one of those rooms take it. Suffice to say it is comparable to some Penthouse Suites in Vegas, I have had the good fortune to stay in; in architectural lay out, creature comforts, space and meticulous attention to every detail right down to the in-room surround sound system. .
Casino Slots: B- Sprawling across two floors, the casino is equipped with every slot game that has been available for purchase the last 12-15 years. They have the brand new games mixed right next to the old classics like "Triple Diamond" . Denominations from pennies to one hundred dollar machines. Plenty of "ticket" changers situated on both floors and there is also a My Choice Center (doubles as a cashier center as well) on both floors. I am rating them a B- because at the end of the day a slot player wants to nurse their bank roll as long as possible. These machines, for me, were comparable to the Casinos on the Strip in Vegas as far as pay back %. I averaged $5,00 a spin and vaporized $2,500 in about 4 hours. I also did not see or hear a jackpot winner in that time frame either.
Comps: A++++++ Ameristar teamed up with My Choice and offers some of the best comps on the planet. A tier point will be generated with every $5.00 in, on a Slot machine, and rated time and bets on table games. Once you hit 15,000 points you are eligible for free trips to Vegas, the Bahamas, discounted Cruises and much more. When you hit 50,000 points there is a free cruise thrown in there on top of the other 15.000 point comps. 175K points lands a Mercedes in the driveway. With all levels there are free rooms, free food, free offers to major league athletics, etc. I am a member of every major comp program in this Country (Boyd, Total Rewards, Ace Play, et. al) and My Choice is the best value for the money invested I have run across.
VIP Lounge / Hosting - A++++ I met most of the Hosts that were working over the weekend and they have done a great job putting together a professional, courteous, "get it done" group of men and women. Don't hesitate to contact a host there if you need anything. They are all great! The Vip Lounge gets an A+++ as well.
What started as a potential train wreck of a weekend ended up being one of the best times we have had in years because of the great venue and the great people looking after you there in the Mountains of Colorado!

2 Thank Neutralatbest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

They let us check in early9:30 gave me $20 for my mistaking a $2.50 slot for 10¢ machine. Casino is beautiful! Wow! beds and pillows great service. If coming to the mountains great side trip from Denver golden or vail. One complaint the cold side faucet is always hot. Even suggested a late checkout upon arrival.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank youmayful
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Been to this hotel on an number of occasions and different times of year and have always been impressed with the friendliness and efficiency of all the staff we met. The Fireside restaurant is a good place to get away and talk in a comfortable environment if you need time away from the casino. Noah one of the waiters has always been of great help. Swimming pool and jacuzzi upstairs are great though can get crowded with children. The city view is the best, get that if you can. Although the selection of hotels in Blackhawk and Central City are limited, I rank Ameristar one of the better hotel experiences, in any location.

Room Tip: get the city side view (though Blackhawk isn't much of a city :)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Spent 2 nights at the Ameristar in Black Hawk in mid-August 2014. This is by far the nicest facility in Black Hawk and has more convenient parking than the other facilities. We enjoyed Black Hawk and visited several of the Casino's but found the Ameristar the nicest and also it has good restaurant's. The rooms are 4 star quality.

Room Tip: Suggest a high room for the view and quietness.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My boyfriend has been a loyal guest and gamer at this hotel and casino for years; however, I have no idea why. We have stayed here dozens of times; I, being underage, stay in the room. Let's start there: the rooms, while clean, are never worth the actual price (we usually only stayed when my boyfriend got discounted or comped rooms) the showers are tiny and uncomfortable to use and the TV set-up is bizarre. This, I could overlook, if it weren't for the ridiculously bad service that we received at each and every stay. Without fail, housekeeping disregards the "rest" sign on the door and whatever list is kept of late check-outs; every single stay we have been woken up at 7 am by knocks and shouts of "Housekeeping!" at the door, repeated every hour after that. Twice they have walked or tried to enter the room without waiting for an answer, once when I was in the shower. Today was the last straw: while waiting near the escalators to the casino (not near or even looking at the machines), I was asked for my ID, and since I had not realized that where I was standing even qualified as part of the casino, I left to wait near Fireside Kitchen. Then, I was approached by another woman and asked how old I was, etc. At this point, I was ready to just wait for my friends to cash out in the car, so tried to walk back to the elevators to the parking garage, but was very rudely prevented from doing so. At no point did this woman tell me why I was being prevented from leaving or what the problem was or what was going on. I was "held" for about five to ten minutes before another person decided to tell me what was happening, and longer before being allowed to leave. I realize that gaming laws are strict, but I did not realize that being underage made it acceptable to not even be treated civilly or like a human being. Ridiculous. We will never give Ameristar any of our business nor reccommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2014
St Julien Hotel and Spa
St Julien Hotel and Spa
#2 of 20 in Boulder
Comfort Suites Golden West on Evergreen Parkway

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk? Share your experiences!