“New Garden Buffet is a welcome addition to Black Hawk”
Review of Fitzgeralds Casino

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Fitzgeralds Casino
Ranked #13 of 16 things to do in Black Hawk
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We love to work up an appetite walking all over Black Hawk and Central City and then setting down to eat (thoughtfully, of course) all we want. We tried the new Garden Buffet at the Saratoga casino, formerly Fitzgerald's, in Black Hawk this week. The experience was pleasing in every regard:

-- A very satisfying selection of fresh, tasty food.
-- Decent desserts (hard to come by at casinos, whether in Colorado or Vegas).
-- Bright, pleasant atmosphere that seems unique to BH/CC.
-- Friendly staff.
-- Clean restrooms.

Also, we liked the size. Not to big, not too crowded. We arrived right when the buffet opened at noon, so we don't know how well the food was maintained throughout the day. Everything we tried seemed very fresh and served at the appropriate temperature. Salad bar had a good variety of veggies and OK variety of fruit. My favorite lunch items were the garlic and cheddar biscuits, steamed vegetables, the meatballs and the Italian sausage and roasted peppers. The sausage is roasted on spits, which is the healthiest way it can be prepared because the fat cooks off. I think it also allows more of the flavors (anise, etc.) to come through. I liked it so much that I passed on the carving station.

For deserts, I enjoyed the baked apple rings (not usually something I'd try, but they looked sooo good), the German chocolate cake (fresh and generously sliced) and the Cold Stone Creamery ice cream with dried, candied orange peels.

When it comes to casino buffets, I strongly prefer places where I don't feel like I'm eating in a basement or gymnasium. It's my biggest disappointment in BH/CC buffets. But this dining area offers blue sky and sunshine for everyone and pleasant street views from tables near the windows. The decor for the serving line is very bright and clean.

The staff was very friendly and courteous if perhaps somewhat new. I'd like to see more interaction between serving line staff and customers, because some of the dishes are refreshingly different, though not what I'd call exotic.

The area outside of the restaurant (on the third floor) is also very spacious and clean, including the new restrooms.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

The salad bar was fresh, but the fruit was just ok. The biscuits were excellent. I loved the mussels, fish, meatballs, and turkey. However, the mashed potatoes were weird. The macaroni and cheese were the best I've ever had. The desserts were really good, not cafeteria tasting like most buffets. My favorite was their organic ice cream, which you could request ingredients and the server mixed it up like cold stone. I can't wait to go back.

Also the restaurant is new so the décor is really nice. The buffet is the only one in Black Hawk I can think of that has windows with a view. If you like the large Vegas type buffets, you might be disappointed. It isn't as large as the Isle, Ameristar or Lodge. But I think it offered an adequate variety.

1  Thank BonwonLongmont
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Used to enjoy a special meal out at Don B's Steakhouse when this was Fitzgerald's. Tried to the new buffet with a free coupon and boy was I glad I did not pay for this awful meal! The food was sparse, tasteless and cold. Very few choices and nothing was good. Don't waste your $$$!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Fitzgeralds Casino in Black Hawk is now the Saratoga Casino, as of June of this year. The casino was extensively renovated by the new owners and now includes an eatery called the "Garden Buffet". I ate at this brand new buffet (on July 9, 2013) and this is my (brief) impression:

1. The Price - $9.99 all day, $2.00 discount for Players Club cardholders and Seniors. You can also use points off of your card.

2. The Décor – Small, but nice and clean. Many two and four-person tables throughout, no booths.

3. The Serving Area – One small, single line with bread/rolls at one end and desserts/ice cream at the other end. There are no small placards to tell you what dish you’re looking at so I wasn’t sure what some stuff was. I don’t think there is a made-to-order area.

4. The Food – Food selection was okay, but limited (due to the space available). There didn’t seem to be a particular method to how the selections were placed. I’m not a big vegetable eater, but I did notice that there was a noticeable lack of vegetables on the menu. I think they had some mixed vegetable and what looked like asparagus, and that was it. There was a good variety of meats but only a few pasta dishes. I did not notice what (if any) kind of soups were available.

5. The Drinks – They serve Pepsi products in very large Pepsi glasses and also have some mixed alcoholic drinks available.

6. The Taste – I had sliced turkey, fried shrimp and white (buttery, I think) rice for round one. The turkey was very tender but needed more seasoning, the shrimp was good but a bit overcooked and the rice tasted kinda bland. Round two consisted of Italian Sausage, semi-mashed potatoes and a garlic-cheesy biscuit. The sausage and biscuit were very good while the potatoes were bland. I put some "turkey gravy" on them (Identified by a sign surprisingly) but it was the consistency of water and was a very light brown. Needless to say, it didn’t add any flavor.

7. The Desserts – Small selection of cakes, pies and cookies. The ice cream is of the hard-serve Cold Stone Creamery variety (that’s what the hostess said) and they can mix flavors up for you if you’d like. I saw only four flavors of ice cream. The carrot cake I had was very good.

8. The Service- The Hostess was very friendly (she was still in training) and my server was nice and attentive (it wasn’t busy at all though).

9. The Result – I thought the place was decent but the variety and taste of the food leaves a bit to be desired – so far. Hopefully things will improve as time goes by. Recommend trying it at least once//MH

2  Thank Murray8ch