“I had a wonderful time at the Isle”

Isle Casino Hotel Black Hawk
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Denver, Colorado
“I had a wonderful time at the Isle”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Ok, so the rooms are a little old, and not as fancy or elaborate as other hotels in Blackhawk, but they are clean, comfortable and quiet. I love the fact that the rooms have windows that actually open... The staff was was friendly.... the food options are good.... and the casino area is very nice.... I actually came out a bit ahead... and had a great time doing it.... I highly recomend joining the players club.... my last stay was totally comped... free room... ten dollar dining credit.... and 25.00 cash..... I love the vibe of the Isle....and I'm looking forward to my next visit....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I play a fair amount of poker and was in Blackhawk for a tournament. I always research the area on line (trip advisor) before I go on a trip. I didnt stay at the Isle (was on a comp. elsewhere) but decided to check out their poker room. They have lots of good advertising and promotions. What a disapointment, both scheduled tournaments had canceled which I later heard is normal so I decided to grab a seat in a cash game. There was only two tables open one with six players one with five. Just as I sat down at the table with five players an argument broke out between the dealer and the player in the #3. I watched the show and figured the guy was just on tilt or being a butthead, although his argument WAS valid, he left very upset. I soon found out that the dealer had no idea what she was doing and at the same time very rude. She'd say the stupidist things it was almost like she was making up the rules as she went. I three bet one hand and she actually told me I couldnt do that? I lost interest in that game fast, there's plenty other places to play and decided to leave. One friendly guy at the table I had been talking to asked me a question and as we where saying goodbye the dealer cut in and told me I had to leave. I wasnt sure I had heard her right because in all my years of poker I had never heard anyone being told to leave, especially a poker room in desperate need of customers at a half empty table. Im pretty easy going and I hate confrontation so I said OK and then she repeated herself only louder as if trying to invoke an argument, she even stopped table play to do so, unreal !! I didnt ablige I just left. I see now why a nice poker room sits empty.

Room Tip: Check all the promos. There are some good ones
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
13 Thank Chad J
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We spent $169 bucks roughly including taxes and fees, which we had no problem paying for even though it was a Wednesday night on aug 15th. What a disappointment. The rooms are clean even though they are outdated.the details are overlooked from a service point of view they miss it. With the choices I can have in the small area I will choose another place to stay. We had a jacuzzi room with a tub that had only 3 jets that actually worked (room 556) the tub had some weird foam that accumulated that we only noticed after asking each other did they put soap or something in the tub, only to find out it was already there. Gross. There is no bottled water in the room, nor was there any in the vending machine on the 5 th floor. Only soda. I called down and asked heather at the front desk to speak to the mod "manager in duty" for the hotel and was told at 1:30 am she had left a couple hours ago. Fine, she connected me to the casino mod, Antwon I think..I explained the water issue and he immediately sent some up within minutes. Even though he could have ignored the hotel aspect of the business he made it right, thank you! Details are lacking, smoking areas are dirty and feel 3 rd. class no room service available, which seems very strange considering they offer food of some sort 24 hrs. Again service. They have updated carpet in our room and 5th floor hallways, but the furniture in the rooms are outdated and definitely shows wear, water rings, peeling 80's whitewashed veneer and southwest style lamps with burned out bulbs. I would not recommend paying for a room here, but if you have a coupon for free, you shouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas E
Colorado
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed here for one night.
The man at check in was very friendly. We booked last minute on the phone and they only had a smoking room. At check in, asked if they had any non smoking rooms open up and the man upgraded us to a suite.

5th floor. The suite was clean and updated. New sofa, same furniture but it looked nice.
The beds were okay for sleeping, I had a strange pillow with really firm corners.
Room was quiet.
Wifi worked well.
Cable channels available.
No table or desk which we would have liked.
Safe in the room, ironing board, coffee maker.

The bathroom.
It was clean, shower floor looked stained but I don't know if it was or if it was the way it was supposed to look.
Cauling in shower was gross.
Had a jetted tub, worked well.

Casino is nice, variety of machines. Had a little bit of luck.
Self service beverage stations, nice smoking areas, well, they are covered and have heat lamps.
I was asked several times from a cocktail waitress if I needed anything to drink.

The only food we had there was from room service.
You order on the phone and have to go down and pick up your food, they do not deliver to the room. Good hamburgers.

I would stay here again only if our favorite hotel was full and that is why we stayed here this time.

They have a very very small arcade for kids. Two driving machines and the rest are the claw machines. Teens are able to go from rooms to food places and arcade without adults. The arcade states children under 18 must have an adult with them. Don't bring your kids here, there is not enough to do. And no swimming pool here.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has been upgraded.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Elizabeth, Colorado
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Our family celebrated a 92nd birthday at the Isle of Capri. All agreed “this was the best gambling trip ever! We are mostly slot machine people. Yes there were winners in our group, four large jackpots! Yes, there were unhappy people in our group who won a little and proceeded to feed it all back to the machine. Some of the slots are better and some not so. I don’t understand some of the earlier comments, so either something has changed or they were in the wrong place.

This was my first stay at the hotel. Check-in was check-in. This was the first time I’ve been asked if I want the Jacuzzi in the bedroom or the bathroom! There was a nice gentleman at the desk and two ladies. We had reservations, so everything was quickly accomplished. Unfortunately there were a few remarks among our group about the lack of happy friendly staff travelers come to expect. Our interpretation is the people work there for one thing, money, not enjoyment.

Our room was clean and comfortable, with the bedroom Jacuzzi I requested. We didn't care about view, since we generally don't go to the room until the wee hours of the morning and we know one side of the hotel only views cut-away Rocky Mountain covered with shot-creat. We were only there for two nights and chose the green option, so our linens weren’t freshened, but we were given $10 at check-out.

The Casino is the main reason we stayed at the Isle. The venue is a favorite of the birthday boy. They have lots of penny machines, video poker, craps, plus the usual gaming tables. Pay-out rate for the quarters is fairly tight. The $1, $2 and $5 machines are the place to go if you want to win 4 place pay-outs. Beverage servers seemed to come around quite often. I’m sure there are no timed delays.

We didn’t eat at Faraday’s Steakhouse, but some of our group did and said it was delicious. We ate mostly at the Calypso Buffet. I’m not a buffet fan, but the evening dinner of unlimited crab legs must be a favorite for most diners. I loved the salads and oriental options plus ice cream on top of homemade tasting apple cobbler. The made-to-order omelets for breakfast and lunch are amazing and so is the lady who makes them.

The overall structure, entrance, and gambling facility looks and feels dated, but once you enter the guest rooms; you’ve entered the current century in luxurious comfort.

Room Tip: The junior suites are worth a little extra with the jacuzzi included but if you're there to gamb...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Northglenn, Colorado
Reviewed 28 May 2013

There are too many casinos in Blackhawk/Central City to waste time at the worst. The Isle is big, but don't let that deceive you. The only BIG it will be is a BIG let down! If you drink, this place brings 1 drink every hour (if you're lucky), so don't expect to catch a buzz. I think they have 2 drink girls for the entire casino. The machines are always having issues. I waited over 20 minutes to have a maintenance person come help me on an electronic roulette machine that had malfunctioned. After looking for someone to help me for at least 5 minutes, a lady stopped by after about 10 minutes and told me there were 3 other machines before me for the tech to look at before heading over my way! When he finally had time for me and my broken machine, all I got was an apology for the inconvenience and a single bet back, what a waste of time. Either hire more tech help or maintain machines so that they don't malfunction so often. Walk around the casino floor, you will see plenty of Out of Order machines at the Isle. They treat their machines like their customers, poorly. The Poker room sends out emails and flyers to customers who sign up, however, they do not honor them! Even after being told they would! I brought my email/voucher to the poker room and asked the attendant how it worked, he said I would be given $10/hour for each hour I played up to 5 hours. After 7 hours, and a shift change, I went up to redeem my voucher and was told the voucher would not be honored now, even after explaining that I spoke with someone at this same desk 7 hours earlier who told me I would be paid. I asked to speak to a manager, who was rude and useless. He wouldn't even let me borrow the pen he was holding in his hand to write his name down for future reference. That's customer service! Instead he handed me a business card for the casino and told me to call the corporate number on the card f I wanted to peak to somebody. So they advertise one thing, confirm the same promotion when you arrive and show them the flyer/voucher, then change their mind after you have played at their casino long enough for them to make a good chunk of money from your play. If this isn't as dishonest as a company can get, I don't know what is. Read the other reviews, player points here are a joke and a scam because they are not what is advertised. If you're willing to give your money to a gambling institution that is this outright dishonest, just think of what they can do to the electronic machines! Consider yourself warned!

Room Tip: Stay at the Ameristar, or listen to your neighbors all night because of the Isle's thin walls...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Greg G
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Recently I went to gamble at the Isle and was very disappointed! I played for several hours and didn't even earn 100 points. I asked the Director of Marketing about the points/comps and she told me that you had to put $30 in to a video poker machine to earn 1 point; are you serious? Even in Vegas at the MGM resorts; video poker is $10 played to earn a point. Their new bar is nice but you don't have to rip off your loyal customers to pay it off in a year! The Isle has always(until now) been my choice to gamble at in Blackhawk but not anymore! Don't even consider wasting your money here!

The buffet is just as bad as the gambling! If you try to get lunch there, you have have leftover breakfast as well as a few items to choose from for lunch. My comp was for a free buffet ($18.99) and I had two pieces of chicken and a salad. They will not get any of my business again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Eldora Lodge
Eldora Lodge
#3 of 18 in Golden
Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk

Been to Isle Casino Hotel Black Hawk? Share your experiences!