“Checked out the New Buffet”
Review of The Buffet

The Buffet
Ranked #8 of 24 Restaurants in Black Hawk
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet
Description: Discover Black Hawk’s dining experience. The Buffet features nightly Whole Maine Lobster, Alaskan Crab and USDA Prime Rib alongside an array of buffet favorites, plus a spectacular Saturday and Sunday Champagne & Mimosa Brunch. Flavorful Vietnamese soup with delicate noodles (also known as Pho), and a savory blend of beef, herbs and vegetables. Pho served every Wednesday and Thursday starting at 11 am and Sunday at 9 am.
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I've been to the old buffet several times but this was my first visit to the New Buffet. Overall it was good but I was a little disappointed. We went on a Saturday night so we witnessed the Seafood Spectacular.

The buffet included on whole Maine lobster per person. The lobster however was overcooked and dry. The crab legs were just warm not hot, even when they were just brought out. The prime rib was very good. The cocktail shrimp were also very good. The pasta station was good, but the food was just warm not hot.

Comparing the old and new buffet, there looks like there are noticably less chocies now. There are less cold (salad) choices and less hot choices.

The flow of the serving area is awful. The serving area has been reduced to about half the size as the previous space. The line for the carving section (which only inlcudes prime rib, not turkey or ham) backs up into the crab leg line and the lobster line is mixed in too. The condiments for he prime rib (horseradish, au ju, etc) is tucked in a corner on the other side of the crab legs.

The dining area is new and more comfortable. Couldn't decide if there was less seating as it laid out differently. It looks nice and includes several projection TV shows sport games.

The crab legs, lobster and shrimp are included every night of the week, so the Seadfood Spectacular on the weekend seems like a way to charge four dollars more on Friday and Saturday nights.

I wonder if the location of the new buffet is only temporary. The food is still cooked in the old kitchen at the other end of the floor (where the old buffet was) and carted to the new buffet. The dirty dishes are then carted back. The are of the old buffet is sealed off.

Overall the food was pretty good but not excellent.

3  Thank Lloyd K

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We went to this buffet because it came with whole lobster also shrimp and crab legs. I woke up sick this morning from it. The lobster tasted old and I didn't even finish it. The shrimp tasted dirty. The crab was dry. The prime rib had potential, but no seasoning. All four of us did not enjoy. On one positive note they did have two sugar free desserts which was good for my diabetic friends.

2  Thank Dede A
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Having just eaten a couple days earlier at neighboring casino buffet, that was bad, we decided to try this one. I mean it was "free". There was a sign stating they were undergoing a remodeling and updating things.

I like the fact there were was actually quite a lot of light in the room. It was lunch time, so it wasn't very busy. Large screen tv was on running sports channel, no volume just pic, so that was ok.

Offerings were limited. Salad bar with usual makings, along with shrimp rice salad, potato salad, a great Italian salad with salami, artichoke hearts and olives, and cole slaw. Main dishes were, ham, turkey, fried chicken, pork carnitas, taco meat, cod, 3 different lasagnas, mac and cheese, mashed potatos, green beans, also rice, lemon chicken, pork buns, and a few other items. Some were very good, some just okay, but food was hot, fresh, a employee was constanting stirring the food, cleaning up areas. Just on top of everything.

Even through their wasn't has many offerings on this buffet, it had much better food in general. We appreciated the little things, ie" the rolls were actually warm. Your butter melted on them. That was very unusual for a buffet. The dessert bar was small, but again a few of the items were very good. The blackberry cobbler, a large piece of white cake with whipped creams in the middle was wonderfully fresh for a buffet.

Oh, and the soup, there was carrot coconut and potato blue cheese , I had the potato, unusual, but I liked it. Gave me idea for my own soup at home, you could taste the blue cheese.

We will stop here again on our next visit

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Less offerings, poor design of the buffet has you bumping into other diners with the new traffic flow. Nice carving station, but less salads, desserts, and condiments. The buffet used to offer more variety, and although it's very elegant, I preferred the old buffet.

2  Thank CoachLori
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We decided to eat here while visiting the Riviera casino. This buffet offers a lot of seafood (which we do not eat), which made it on the pricey side, and it seemed as though there were fewer food selections than at other buffets. In its favor, though, is that all the foods seemed fresh, and the dessert bar included baklava and tiramisu in addition to the standard cakes and pies.
The most negative part of the experience was the atmosphere in the dining room. They seemed extremely short staffed. Our waitress never came by to refill our drinks, although we saw her busily bussing tables - it looked like there were only two people covering the whole area.
Because one buffet was comped, the cost was was just over $20 for two, and I think we'd have been a lot more dissatisfied had we paid full price.