“Not much competition and it shows”

Lady Luck Casino Black Hawk
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The only thing that saved this pace from a one star review is that the room itself was acceptable and clean. It was about what you would expect from a mid-level roadside hotel, nothing special. I realize that the goal of hotel casinos is to not keep people in their rooms but to get them out and gambling, but every other casino I have stayed in has been a notch better than this one in terms of the room. Its not offensive, but nothing memorable, perfectly acceptable.

Perhaps I am used to staying at casino properties where the staff goes out of their way to make the experience as exceptional as possible. The main word from the staff here was "no".

I pulled into the check in area inside the garage and was told while I was still standing in line that I had to move my car, it was a fire hazard, ignoring the fact that there was a supersized pick up truck directly in front of me and no discernible place to park the car. I go out, move the car, come back and get checked in. I ask for the valet to park the car, and for whatever reason that was a hassle but they would not help me get my 4 bags upstairs. No! No one does that here. I ask for a cart so that I can do it myself. No! There is only one cart and some guest has it upstairs. I schlep my stuff upstairs and decide to relax and watch a movie before eating dinner. I select one and No! I had to call downstairs and discover that I needed to wait 10 minutes because they hadn't run my card yet (about 30 minutes after I hauled by stiff upstairs). I watch the move and go to order room service. No! No room service, you have to eat in the restaurant (through the casino, no less). The meal at the restaurant was sloppily presented and not very good. Reminded me of airport food. I get upstairs and try to set a wake up call, but that doesn't work and then no one answers when I call the front desk. When I leave the next morning, the staff at the forint desk was arguing with someone over a room that was comped and whose credit card was being used for incidentals. Someone who played enough there to get comped a room was getting flak from the staff. My guess is that he takes his gambling elsewhere.

Bottom line: there are a small number of hotels in Black Hawk to serve the people who visit the casinos, so the competition isn't very fierce and they can get away with being piss poor to mediocre. Most hotel casino operations would kick these guys in the tail and take their lunch money. Mediocre rooms, a crap customer service experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Barry D
Jordana A, Manager at Lady Luck Casino Black Hawk, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Hi Barry,
We're sorry your experience with us was not an enjoyable one. We would like to talk with you more about your visit so we can figure out how we can make the next one better. If you have some time, please call our front desk and ask to be transferred to my office - 303-582-3000. I look forward to speaking with you!

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stay here at least a couple of times a year. Our rooms are at no charge because we gamble in their casino. We usually have a choice between this hotel and the adjacent sister property The Isle of Capri for accommodations but 9 times out of 10 we choose this one. Rooms are clean and do not smell like smoke. Beds are always firm and clean, room decor could stand an update though, very little noise in halls at night. There are approx 6 places to stay in Black Hawk/Central city and from our experience this one is third on the list.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed for one night in a room with king bed. Very clean, modern, secure, and comfortable with lovely-scented toiletries. My only complaint is the strange bathroom door and no fan in bathroom. Otherwise, we would consider returning. Casino was nice enough, and we had two good meals at their restaurant Otis and Henry's.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Foslo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very clean room. Quite large too. You can walk indoors to their sister casino, Isle of Capri.
Price was reasonable and you get a free breakfast buffet with your reservation (which I did not use). I will say I loved the shampoo and conditioner products that came in the bathroom. They were great smelling and a little better than what you get at other hotels.
Check-in was in the parking garage which made it so convenient!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nz1511
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The room was nice and quiet and the gentleman that checked us in was friendly and accommodating. We arrived a bit early, but he checked for an available room and allowed us to check in early. We never heard any noise from other occupants, even from the hallway, which is unusual for most hotels.
I'd definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ken B
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

It was a quiet area in the hotel. The bed was comfortable. The coffee in the room was good. The shower head was nice. The tub drain stopper did not want to stay open to drain. Modern room. We had to beds. I'm glad because my boyfriend snores.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ilovetotravvel2
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Great for a quick getaway and right next to many casinos. Staff friendly and rooms were great. Next time we are there I will be staying there again. Good tables on the casino floor as well. Good food prices only downfall was we got carded three times in one hour just to be on the floor. Its worse than buying booze at a liquor store

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#4 of 14 in Winter Park
Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk
Americas Best Value Inn-Georgetown Lodge

Been to Lady Luck Casino Black Hawk? Share your experiences!