“Chatauqua History Tour”

Boulder Walking Tours
Ranked #8 of 32 Tours in Boulder
More attraction details
Owner description: Not at all hokey but still super fun and also informative -- what could be better?!! Our excellent walking tours are #1 on TripAdvisor for a reason -- we explore Boulder's best places, by foot, and with knowledgeable and passionate guides! 1) Downtown's "Best of Boulder": An award-winning walking tour described as ".... a gem not to be missed!" Fun and fact-filled stroll through vibrant downtown Boulder bringing together history, architecture, people & planning. Join us as we wander the colorful and historic Pearl Street Mall and neighboring areas in a celebration of this incredible community! 2) Chautauqua ~ Living History: Emerging from a cultural movement of the late 19th century, the Chautauqua continues, through simplicity and a wide variety of cultural offerings, to exemplify its original ideals: lifelong learning, love of nature, music & the arts. This delightful tour is narrated with historic photographs that bring the landmark to life.Birds & Bees: Naturalist-Guided Hikes: Our guides are professional naturalists with years of experience guiding hikes in Boulder's Open Space and Mountain Parks. Explore the flora and fauna of the Rocky Mountain foothills -- small groups guaranteed to ensure personalized attention! 3) CU Boulder: A Learning Landmark: This fun and informative stroll through the award-winning CU-Boulder campus offers a thorough exploration of today's dynamic university, but rooted in background from yesteryear. The first building, opened in 1876, sat atop a donated, treeless bluff, its bell tower ringing the vision that spurred "Old Main" and, indeed, the town of Boulder itself. Since then, the campus has expanded in significance ~ architecturally, intellectually, and civically. Come wander, and wonder, with us!
Sherman, Texas
“Chatauqua History Tour”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Boulder Walking Tour's Chatauqua History tour is great. It isn't often that you get a history tour given by a professor at Colorado University. The tour was an easy walk through the very historic Chatauqua Conference Center and talked, not only about Boulder and the Conference Center, but also about the importance of the chatauqua movement of the late 1800's and how it helped shape our country. A must if you are in the Boulder area.

Visited September 2013

chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great way to see the city!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Just came back from long weekend in Boulder and went on two of the tours sponsored by Boulder Walking tours and I would highly recommend both of them. There were four of us meeting for a family reunion and we chose two tours that would acquaint us with the area (downtown Boulder) and the place we were staying (Chautauqua). Both tours were very informative and Lori was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. It was a wonderful introduction to Boulder. I could not say enough about what a worthwhile experience it was.

1 Thank mgs5
lafayette, co
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nature Hike”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I am a local and I learned so much about the area that I did not know. Bridget is the best and soooooooooo
knowledgeable about everything. Plants, animals, history, and fun too!

San Diego, California
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 262 helpful votes
“The Best of Boulder”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

One of the great things about this particular tour organization is the limited group size. No more than 12 people per tour. That makes it personal, easy to hear, and you can ask questions as you go. They offer a number of tours, but this one is the best if you have limited time or if you plan to take just one tour. You get some of everything: history, architecture, colorful characters, great views, tips on things to do and more. Reservations are absolutely required.
I found it easier to call to make reservations than to do it online, as is my custom. I got caught up in the pay pal option and didn’t know if I’d made reservations or not. Turns out I had.
This tour is given in the mornings and occasionally afternoons. If you take a tour in summer, it might be best to go in the morning. Not only is it cooler, but rain showers are frequent on summer afternoons. Do not forget your camera!

Hickory Hills, Illinois, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Tours”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My family and I did two tours in two days. While on the first--the Best of Downtown Boulder--we were being guided through the river park and I overheard a local on a cell phone derisively tell the person he was speaking to "I wonder how much they wasted on that?" My answers (which I did not verbalize, as I tend to not fight stupidity with stupidity) was "Nothing! It was totally worth the price!"

It's understandable that locals would scoff at the idea of taking a tour of their own city, for we all think we know everything there is about where we live. (Having actually taken a tour of two of the city I've lived in all my life, I can attest to the fact that nobody knows everything about their own city.) But I came to Boulder knowing very little other than that Mork landed there. So in that regard alone the tours I took were more than worthwhile.

They added flavor to the local color, and showed me places and histories that probably wouldn't have gotten more than a passing mention on Wikipedia or other online sources. They showed us people and places, and put beliefs, ideas, and actions into context. They gave me a very broad idea of the "philosophy" of Boulder, and introduced me to a city that, had I not taken the tour, would have certainly enjoyed but perhaps not respected.

At the end of the second tour--Chautauqua--I regretted only that I hadn't the time to take the other tours.

1 Thank Marc M

Been to Boulder Walking Tours? Share your experiences!