“Simply Awful”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boulder
Silver Saddle Motel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
Regina, Canada
“Simply Awful”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We arrived to a musty smelling room, with freshly stained carpets, melted TV, and dirty toilet seat. The shower walls were crumbling into the tub, the drain was completely plugged, and the shower curtain was filthy- I actually wore my sandals in the shower for piece of mind. Furniture was also filthy and stained. Easily one of the worst motels we've ever experienced.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jencifer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We stayed here because the location was ideal for us, and the place allowed our dog. The hotel itself is in a beautiful location, and by taking short walks from the hotel, we were able to see some stunning scenery.

Although the hotel was clean, the worn-out beds were not as comfortable as the view. The carpet in our room had some stains and the bedcover was rather dated, but overall, we didn't pay too much, so would recommend this to others, particularly if they aren't too picky.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 5 October 2010

The staff was exceptionally hospitable. They provided anything we asked for from extra towels to directions around town. The location couldn't be better for enjoying all Boulder has to offer from the CU campus to downtown to easy walks and super hikes. The motel was recommended to us by a family member who stayed there in May and was happy and our stay in October was wonderful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I stayed here on my own while visiting an ill relative, and really needed a refuge. Instead, I had to sweep out the place and asked for some Windex to do some additional cleaning. The bathroom was clean, the sheets were nice and soft, but the desk had been kicked apart, tiles were coming off of the bathroom walls. When I moved out the coffee maker in the kitchenette to make coffee, there was a lot of black grime behind it.

The owner was responsive, he got me a new battery for the smoke alarm (said people steal them, ok) but really now, this is such a great location why not keep the place up a little better? The staff and owner are very nice, and the room was fine for a couple going hiking and getting muddy and coming back to cook, but I usually feel like I want everything in one piece when I stay someplace, I don't want to be blamed for any destruction.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Boulder hotels

usa
Reviewed 21 July 2010

This sweet little place could use some work, it is run down in some senses but the towels were snow white, sheets clean and the bed comfy. There was a small bouquet of fresh flowers from the owner's garden in the room when we arrived. We made reservations for a 2 room cabin and were instead put in a 2 room motel room. The tub had not been scoured in a very long time even though the other bathroom fixtures were clean, as was the bathroom floor. The room was vacuumed but not under the beds for an obviously long time. Curtains were not totally light blocking and were a bit droopy. People were allowed to smoke right outside of our room and loud talking was heard outside at all hours right outside the door - even 4:30AM!. I assume the consciousness of those talking was just not in effect. Too bad we could not leave the windows open for that cool, fresh mountain air. We left the air conditioner off because it was very noisy. The room itself (walls and ceiling) were relatively sound proof. There were 2 picnic tables and one grill for use at the end of the parking lot in a grassy area where hummingbirds were plentiful. They accept pets with no extra fee but since we had a 2 room motel and not a cabin, leaving the pet in the room was not an option whereas in a cabin, the pet would not disturb others with possible sound. It did put a damper on the trip for that reason. We had to take our pet with us whenever we were out and to all business meetings because it was too hot to leave our pet in the car. Thank goodness Boulder is relatively pet friendly. I would describe this place as a gramma type place. Old and a bit worn around the edges. It is comfortable for the price but not for someone who is used to a 5 star experience. I recommend it with that reservation. The owners are very sweet people.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
stockholm
Reviewed 19 December 2009

I highly recommend this motel. Of course one should not expect a 5 star accommodation, but if you need to stay in Boulder (especially for an extended stay - I was there for 1 month) this is the place for it. The room was spacious and clean and included a full kitchen. And super close to the wonderful nature Boulder is known for! I was biking in to town for work each day, and the location of this motel was perfectly adequate for that. Thanks Dave, I am sure I will be visiting you again!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank burton3eleven
Columbia, MO
Reviewed 2 October 2009

The Silver Saddle's setting is quite lovely. Our experience, however, was not. At 4:30 in the morning, we were awoken to one of the owner's dogs barking. Loudly. Despite the dog's continued efforts over the next three hours, no one came out to move the dog or quiet it down. When my daughter took a shower in the morning, the exhaust fan in the bathroom made a horrible sound, and then the grate fell off the ceiling. Fortunate that she wasn't standing under it. I would have been okay with the somewhat run-down condition of our unit, had these other things not happened.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
DaveRBoulder_Colo, Manager at Silver Saddle Motel, responded to this review, 8 February 2010
First of all we would like to apologize for the things that did not work out for you during your visit. We do have a nice setting and we work very hard to make everyone’s stay pleasant. I have a full time maintenance man, but we don’t always get problems fixed when they go unreported. We always appreciate it when customers point out things that did not go well, but in this case I don’t remember anything being reported. In cases such as this we often are willing to give customer discounts for problems if they are reported. And the problem gets fixed sooner so it doesn’t annoy the next customer.
As for the barking dogs, we have 4 rescue dogs that my children have brought home. We normally bring them in at night, but on this particular night it appears that did not happen. A simple call to the motel phone number would have remedied the situation immediately. There is always someone available to address problems 24 hours per day. We wish that the motel phone number had been called when you were awakened. Members of our staff are always on site, but not necessarily where they might hear the dogs. It would be preferable to us to remedy the problem immediately with the customer instead of exchanging trip advisor write ups several weeks after the event. We try hard to remedy problems when they occur. This saves customer frustration and allows us to address the problem much sooner. We never like to see customers leave the motel frustrated. Normally we can avoid this when there is adequate communication.

Thanks,