“Very Good Upscale Food”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
“Very Good Upscale Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

First time to John's. Small unassuming place from the exterior with a somewhat of location. Don't let the exterior or the location keep you from going. Quaint, intimate late 1800's building which is old for Boulder or anywhere in Colorado. Started with an excellent waiter Taylor who was attentive without being intrusive. The appetizer called Apple Stilton Pecan salad was fantastic. Great flavor. The other appetizer was an asparagus dish that was good but not fantastic. They give you a free soup - ours was some kind of curried soup but it was served lukewarm. Probably would have been great if it was hot. Dinner consisted of kona ahi and diver scallops with coconut rice and a lime curry sauce. The diver scallops were my favorite part of the meal. The flavors of this dish were great. They all worked so well together. The Ahi was served perfect as well. The other dinner was a ribeye steak that was good but again not excellent. We split a dessert of wild cherries which was probably the absolute best dessert I have ever had -- the combination of what they offer for this dish (you can find it on their website) works so well together if you eat it the right way (think of it as a layering process) that you'll think you died and went to heaven. It's that good. They have an adequate wine list with some excellent choices. This restaurant is pricey but it's probably about as good as you will get anywhere in the world. If you've been thinking of going, just do it.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank nevera

jrc11
“A Lovely Treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

We tried John's during Boulder's "First Bite," which is similar to Denver's Restaurant Week--restaurants offer a fixed menu for $26/person. The food at John's was both creative and delicious, and the service was superb. We were a little put off when we arrived ten minutes early for our reservation and were told we couldn't come in yet because they were "not quite ready." Another couple arrived just after we did and we all had to wait in a little foyer to be allowed in. Still, overall it was a very good experience.

1 Thank jrc11
vermont
“Best In Boulder or anywhere for that matter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

Fabulous experience at John's in Boulder. Incredible food, waiter, and service. Best filet I have ever had.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Good, but not perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

We had dinner at John’s restaurant last night. It is a charming little restaurant. The environment is dimly lit and romantic. Initially, we were very impressed by the service. They were attentive, unpretentious, and calm. It was so nice to be in a “fancy” restaurant, but to be served in a style that was relaxed. The wine was perfect, and our server recommended each of our wines. The first course of green beans over polenta was wonderful. The bread was tasty, and they surprised us with a tasting of soup. I ordered the duck, and unfortunately, it was not cooked to order, AND was not very good. I realize that duck is often served medium rare, but it was just too rare. My only other complaint is that they sat us precisely in the location we had asked not to be seated. I would recommend John’s, but it wasn't perfect.

1 Thank WhirledTravels28
Napa Valley, California
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

I took my wife to John's with two friends to celebrate our 33 wedding anniversary. What a great choice this was. The food was absolutely great, every course. Plus there were two courses compliments of the chef, a soup to die for and a refreshing sorbet. We fought over the desserts. The wine list was reasonably priced, and my only wish might have been for more selections. Appetizers, salads, entrees and dessert all were the best, topped off by one of the best cups of coffee in a restaurant ever. The ambiance is simple and I loved the fact that we could all converse easily. John's is one of the best restaurants I have been to, and I live in the Napa Valley, home of great dining. It isn't exactly cheap, but worth every penny.

1 Thank DulaRay