“Good, but not perfect”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Good, but not perfect”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We had dinner at John’s restaurant last night. It is a charming little restaurant. The environment is dimly lit and romantic. Initially, we were very impressed by the service. They were attentive, unpretentious, and calm. It was so nice to be in a “fancy” restaurant, but to be served in a style that was relaxed. The wine was perfect, and our server recommended each of our wines. The first course of green beans over polenta was wonderful. The bread was tasty, and they surprised us with a tasting of soup. I ordered the duck, and unfortunately, it was not cooked to order, AND was not very good. I realize that duck is often served medium rare, but it was just too rare. My only other complaint is that they sat us precisely in the location we had asked not to be seated. I would recommend John’s, but it wasn't perfect.

1 Thank WhirledTravels28

Napa Valley, California
“Simply the best”
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I took my wife to John's with two friends to celebrate our 33 wedding anniversary. What a great choice this was. The food was absolutely great, every course. Plus there were two courses compliments of the chef, a soup to die for and a refreshing sorbet. We fought over the desserts. The wine list was reasonably priced, and my only wish might have been for more selections. Appetizers, salads, entrees and dessert all were the best, topped off by one of the best cups of coffee in a restaurant ever. The ambiance is simple and I loved the fact that we could all converse easily. John's is one of the best restaurants I have been to, and I live in the Napa Valley, home of great dining. It isn't exactly cheap, but worth every penny.

1 Thank DulaRay
Boulder Colorado
“Enduring Quality and Still a Boulder Classic”
Reviewed 10 September 2009

This is a great restaurant and often overlooked. I entertain clients in Boulder quite a bit and I must say we have some absolutely outstanding restaurants in the city. Finding myself stuck in a bit of a monotonous cycle of going to the same 5 restaurants over and over again I decided to check Trip Advisor and see what people visiting were recommending.

I spotted John’s near the top of the list and realized it had been almost a decade or two since I had dined there. I think my first visit was in college which given my meager budget explains why I took it off my list. I’m very happy to say that I was astounded at the wonderful dining experience I had at John’s. The food was inventive, exceptional and well beyond my expectations! Excellent wine list with some nice boutique Napa vineyards. The service was friendly, not at all pretentious, attentive and prompt. The atmosphere of this odd little house off Pearl street is warm, comfortable and a nice change from the often bustling and loud restaurants on the Pearl Street Mall.

Bottom-line, I highly recommend John’s you won’t be disappointed and I’ll bet you go back. I have at least five times this year!

2 Thank BoulderCanyon
colorado
“Best kept secret in Boulder!”
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We recently had dinner at John's and wondered why we didn't eat there more often. The meal was delicious!! It is so close to the Pearl St mall and hands down is worth going the few extra blocks east to get to the restuarant. Funky old house with choppy interior but don't let that deter you-the food is outstanding and service was very good.

1 Thank nokiddingColorado
Seattle, Washington
“John's still maintains excellence”
Reviewed 2 May 2009

We dined at John's on a Friday evening and were surprised that the restaurant was not very crowded. For that reason, I am not sure if our excellent service would be sustained with a full house or not, but it was great during our visit. John's in situated in a slightly remodeled tiny 'old Boulder' colttage on Pearl street, east of the Pearl Street mall and not too distant from the Marriott and the 29th Street "mall". The menu offers a wide variety of interesting preparations--some interesting starters (I had the white sardines; the Arugala and beet salad was excellent. The entrees were diverse and included fresh halibut, rack of New Zealand lamb (odd in Colorado which produces its own wonderful lamb), a redpepper risotto, a duck, veal steak and several other options. All was excellent, and while innovative, the portions were not tiny 'nouvelle cuisine' in size. The dessert menu was quite tempting, including a Mango Bombe, plus some chocolate preparations that sounded sinful. John's has an extensive wine list with some excellent options, although one's budget would be stretched by most of the choices. In fact, I think that is the question for someone deciding the visit John's--will you be comfortable paying maybe $40 to 80 for a bottle of wine, and $26 to 35 for an entree, and maybe $10 to 15 for a first course and $9 for dessert? John's does offer tasting menues with paired wine selections around $35 and up, which might be a good choice. Is it at all like Frasca? Well, our party was reuniting and intending to have conversation and John's was quiet and welcoming, while Frasca tends to be rather louder. Maybe John's would have been louder with a larger clientele on a busy night. On pacing, the food came with suitable gaps, we weren't rushed. Between the first and second courses, the chef sends out a complementary bowl of soup--our's was a tomato/redpepper bisque that was very very nice; followed by a small palate-cleansing offering of sorbet (our's was a fruity blueberry flavor).

So, on balance, I would recommend John's quite highly. Oh yes, on a chilly night, request seating as far away as possible from the front door. Like many an old cottage, I think John's might need a little more insulation.

I suspect that reservations are a good idea--not every night would be as quiet as the one on which we visited. John's uses the Open Table web site for bookings.

3 Thank shri420