“Great Mexican food, great prices”

Efrain's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #132 of 577 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Stamford, Connecticut
“Great Mexican food, great prices”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

While I live in the New York City area, I have been traveling to Boulder, CO for business and pleasure for over 25 years. I have been enjoying the food at Efrains 2 for a little over 20 years.

Make no bones about it, this restaurant is not fancy. It is housed in an old house on the outskirts of downtown Boulder. The decor is nothing to write home about.

However, one does not go to Efrains for the decor, but one goes there for the excellent Mexican food. IMHO all the food is excellent and the prices are incredibly low. Entrees run from $7 to $15. There is a whole menu of different Margaritas to order from ranging from $6 to $15 depending on the type of tequila used.

The service, while not elegant, has always been very efficient and pleasant. My advice is either go early (5:00 to 5:30) or later (after 7:300. This place really fills up in the evening and the waiting space is cramped.

If you want a place with nicer and fancier decor, but the same menu, go to Efrains 3 in Longmont, about 8 miles away.

My wife and I eat at least one meal here every trip to Boulder and frequently two and three times.

• Visited February 2012

Phoenix, Arizona
“Okay food, okay service.”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Our server was not the friendliest and he got my order wrong. The restaurant was really cold inside. Food was okay, definitely not great.

• Visited September 2011
Seattle
“Excellent food particularly anything with green chile”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Tasty inexpensive Mexican food. All I had was green chile but the promised tastes of other dishes from my fellow diners disappeared too quickly for me to have the opportunity to try them. Patrons were not exclusively over educated gringos. Ribs are reputedly excellent. Sadly, no leftovers at our table. Friendly service with full bar. A small nondescript place slightly east of town well worth the short drive.

• Visited September 2011
Boulder, CO
“hole in the wall”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

This place is difficult to find, however you will be so happy when you get there. I am writing about the Boulder location. Seems there might have been a split in the family and there are other locations in nearby towns with the same name. You will know you are in the right place when you have to stand in the parking lot to put your name in.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank n590star
Boulder, Colorado
“Fool me twice: Shame on me!”
Reviewed 3 March 2011

I had been there before and felt the food was so-so. I work about a block away and had forgotten my lunch, so I stopped. I ordered a smothered beef and bean burrito with everything on it including sour cream and guac, and a pepsi. 14.95! Anyway, opened it up at work to find a enchilada sauce and huge chunks of pork inside. There were no toppings, just the sides of guac and sour cream. I called them and they said that was the sauce that comes with it. I asked them about the pork, and they said I could be beef. They told me to bring it back in so they could check it out, which I replied I couldn't do that as I was at work for the day. They told me that next time I order to go to have them check it first to see if it is the correct order. Tried to eat it, but the pork and sauce was a little to rich. I think my dog will appreciate it though!

• Visited March 2011