“good pub grub, good beer”
Review of Hungry Toad

Hungry Toad
Ranked #161 of 582 Restaurants in Boulder
Price range: US$0 - US$8
Cuisines: American, Irish, British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I've been going to The Toad periodically for many years. With the feel of a neighborhood pub, it has a nice selection of beers and ales by the pint (Fullers, Stella, Fat Tire, Boddingtons, etc.). Wine choices, as in pubs I have experienced in the UK and Ireland, is rudimentary.

The menu is quite large and ranges from wings to steaks to burgers to salads to soups to pub classics like shepherd's pie. I mostly go for the fish and chips, which I always find enjoyable. Other items I have seen and/or tasted have been good, but there is certainly a large portion of the menu never explored. Service has always been good.

The Toad is definitely not an "upscale Boulder dining experience". But it does a good job at being a comfortable neighborhood establishment with good, unpretentious food.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

When we are in Boulder, Co for a month or two of the summer months we make sure we go to The Hungry Toad on a regular basis. The owner there is from England ( like my husband) and has set his pub up just like one you might find in England.

The beer selection is very good there and the full bar is very well stocked. But my favorite and is a must have is the French Onion soup. It is the best I have had anywhere. Of course, the fish and chips are excellent too.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Recently went here for lunch with a friend. The decor is lovely - provides a nice, welcoming environment. Seems more like a bar/pub place, but cozy nonetheless. We went on a Thursday, which has the "any burger, 8.50" special. Unfortunately, I don't think this special made it to our bill, and I only realized this after leaving the establishment. Oh, well. With that said, the food was delicious! We both replaced the beef with buffalo, and chose non-fries for sides. I got the onion rings (perfect) and my friend got the salad, which looked fresh and hearty. We split the fried jalapenos (divine) and carrot cake for dessert (decadent and light!). The burgers were very thick, and blocked out the taste of my toppings. I wish I cut the patty in half! It would have made the burger easier to eat. But it was tasty and quality. I want to return and experiment with cutting the burger in half!

1  Thank ughughCO
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Fabulous burgers and steak ( I recommend the Luau Burger). Great service, even when very busy. Food was excellent, plenty enough, and such good value for money we came back two nights later on our 3 nights in Boulder.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I had the breakfast tacos and a few Bloody Marys. The food and service were good and I don't have any specific complaints. I would recommend this place with the understanding that it is an average place. You wont hate it. I am not from Boulder and the person who took me there explained this restaurant as "easy, quick and pretty good." He was right.