“Great attraction, OK food”

Boulder Dinner Theater
Ranked #94 of 577 Restaurants in Boulder
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Denver, Co
“Great attraction, OK food”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We have been season ticket holders at the Boulder Dinner Theater for four years. We love this experience. As an attraction I definitely give it a "5" rating. The combination of entertainment, good service, and food cannot be beat. As a restaurant alone, I would give it a "3".
Our most recent visit was on New Year's Eve. We love spending the year's turnover at BDT. You get free appetizers, a bottle of champagne per couple, good food, a great show, and a dance following the performance, noisemakers, and Ald Auld Lang Syne at midnight. The peformers bring their family, including small children, and dance with the audience. This year the play was 42nd street (thin plot but incredible dancing). The BDT manager makes a point of stopping by each table to ask about our experience and thank us for coming. I personally don't care for most of the entres (I'm a vegetarian) but they have great appetizers and are willing to substitute a larger porrtion of the appetizer for an entre. Most of the entres are free with the theater ticket purchase but they do have some entres for an added amount.
Plays are four times a year, all musicals, some serious and some comedies. Most are familiar but usually there is at least one newish play each year. The performers are also the wait staff. Twice we have had the lead in the play serving our food and it's great to get to know them "up close and personal."
Season tickets here are about the cost of two performances at the Denver Center for Performing Arts if you go for good seats. We always go for center seats on the top row for the best view. Go once and pick out the seats you want. If you buy season tickets, you can reserve the seats you want. We always go for D11, a 4 top table.

• Visited December 2012

Boulder, Colorado
“Plays are excellent, Food not so much.”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I have been going to the Boulder Dinner Theatre for at least 20 years. I've never seen a play that was poorly performed. Last week we went to Avenue Q. The Play has adult themes but a 15 year old boy was celebrating his Birthday with his family the night I was there and seemed to love it by his facial expressions. There were a number of 20 something people there which was fun to see.
The dinner is not the draw but I must say some things have been improved. Bread tastes fresher and so do the ingredients of the salad which is still a bit tired but not as tired and limp as in previous visits. My favorite entree is the Chicken Kiev. I asked for it served hot and it was served on a very hot plate but the chicken itself was just warm. I thought the ham inside actually tasted a bit off. The mashed potatoes were served hot. I was half way through my meal when I ran into a hair sticking into the cheese sauce. In all honesty, I do not think it was my hair. Maybe hair nets are in order for the kitchen help. For extra money, one can order prime rib. I have had the coffee ice cream pie many times before and it did not taste as high quality as it has in the past.
We sat with a couple who were strangers to us. They were quite friendly but if you want an intimate dinner with your friend/spouse pick a table for two. Unfortunately, the tables for two are not center stage. Otherwise the tables are for 4, or 6. The tables are squashed in very close to each other. When you turn your chair to face the stage, you are almost in the lap of the table mates next to you.
The service was slow and one of the servers had an attitude. She said "sorry I'm slow but it's been kind of busy" in a sarcastic tone. We guessed that they were short on servers that night. The other issue was numerous references made by staff to proper tipping. You are supposed to tip on the entire price of your meal, not just your alcohol and desserts. They must have announced this at least 3 times. Plus, during the play a hat is passed through the audience, something that is part of the play. I felt at least from the people sitting immediately around us that they were very annoyed by this.
The play was a lot of fun and the actors were great. The puppets were delightful, too. I left the theatre feeling good about myself. The play is very upbeat and positive. Wonderful, snappy music.
We have tickets for 42nd St. in November. In spite of the lackluster meal, the community theatre experience is well worth the evening.

• Visited September 2012
Superior, CO
“Talented Cast! Average food. Go anyway & Have fun!”
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

We saw Avenue Q on a Wednesday evening. Great show! Talented cast! The cast is also part of the service team which is fun. Do not forget to tip on the value of your dinner which is included in the ticket price! They work very hard for you!

They food was average. They could work on that. My open-faced BBQ sandwich was tasty but cold. I imagine it's difficult logistically to serve that many people all at once, but shouldn't be impossible if it is your business-model and you do it every night.

Still, it is fun! You don't go for the food as one other reviewer said. It's affordable and a nice way to spend a few hours.

Littleton, CO
“BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER!”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My husband and I attended the performance of "Cinderella" last night, and it was the most enjoyable experience we have ever had -- and I am comparing it to performances at the Buell and at the Dorothy Chandler in LA. Over the years, I have seen about two dozen theater performances and "Cinderella" outshined them all. Further, this production was BETTER than the Lesley Ann Warren TV version back in the 60's. The casting was, without exception, PERFECT. The two men playing exceedlingly camp versions of the stepsisters were hysterically funny, and Jenna Bainbridge (the lead) was simply wonderful; her voice was perfect (as were all the actor singers) and her slight limp led special poignancy to her role. (What an inspiration she is and what inspired casting!) All in all, I just can't say enough about what a great production this was -- and speaking of production, I was amazed at the BDT's set design.

Next -- or perhaps I should say first, as one has dinner before the show -- the dinner was very, very good. I have read other reviews complaining somewhat about the food, but this was not the case with us (and we are particular). We both had prime rib, and everything about the dinner was just perfect. (Our only complaint is that our salads were served before the bottle of wine we ordered was brought to our table -- about a 20-minute delay from the time we ordered.) I have also read that the BDT was a little shabby. Well, it is certainly not "deluxe" but to even imply that it was rundown would be to do it a disservice. It was fine, but just don't go there expecting a four-star atmosphere (more like a 2.5 star, IMO). Also, the pre-show bar area was MUCH too tiny for the number of people ordering drinks. Still, these are very minor issues.

One further note: As has been noted, the cast are the servers, and they were just wonderful. Very agreeable and very, very friendly. (We were served by Wayne Kennedy and a young man named Drew. Wayne said he had been with the BDT for 21 years, yet he showed great enthusiasm and humor for his work -- and he was great as the king! Drew is still in high school (!) but he was one of the nicest young men I have ever encountered EVER -- and he also did very, VERY well in his ensemble role.

So, if you have not yet seen "Cinderella" at the BDT, by all means, get tickets and prepare to have one of the best times of your life!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Kathryn F
Longmont, Colorado
“Loved it enough to get season tickets”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This dinner theater is one of the last ones standing in this recession, probably because it has great food and really outstanding talent. Most of the actors are regulars that perform but they are also the waiters. I feel like I have gotten to know them and miss them if they aren't in the performance. We loved it so much we got season tickets and enjoy all the plays.

Visited March 2012