“Popular Hotel in Boulder”

St Julien Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The St. Julien is the hotel we stay at every time we visit Boulder, which is frequently since our daughter is attending the University of Colorado there. It's a lovely hotel, the rooms are very nice as well as the spa and fitness center and the restaurants. It's within walking distance of many fantastic shops and restaurants being just one block off Pearl St., and in the summer months the fantastic farmers market is just around the corner. The entire staff is extremely pleasant and always willing to please.

The reason I give it a rating of 4 instead of 5 has to do with the fact that on many of our visits we have been unable to get into the lobby bar area - there's a lovely fireplace and several couches, chairs and tables but it is always way over crowded. This is because the hotel schedules events with local groups that take up the entire lobby and bar area and guests of the hotel are lucky to find a table let alone service. In early December, during the three days I was there, they had scheduled two different local holiday group parties on the same night - the area was roped off, including the bar and there was no chance of getting any sort of service as all servers were over taxed. The following afternoon there were two local children's events (cookie decorating I think) and the area was again roped off. I think this is a bad practice on the part of the hotel. They are almost always booked to capacity and yet their guests cannot be accommodated because they also book these special events. It's easy enough to walk down the street to one of the many Boulder hot spots but I think the hotel should be more accommodating to their overnight guests.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Linda K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your St Julien Hotel & Spa experience; we appreciate your continued patronage. I am pleased to hear that you consistently enjoy your accommodations, Spa at St Julien, our dining options, the hotel's location and the service and staff. I apologize that you encountered challenges utilizing the lobby area on your recent visit. We make every effort to cater to both traveling guests and members of the local community, and as such, the holiday season proves to be one of our busiest times of year, and not representative of the usual capacity and usage of that space. We do hope you'll join us at St Julien Hotel & Spa again very soon.

Peter T. Walstra, CHA

Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I have travelled all over the country for work and sometimes I end up in "fancy" hotels. This is by far the best place I have stayed in the country so far. It has awesome views and the place makes you feel comfortable as soon you enter the lobby. The staff was very helpful and friendly. In the summer months they have live music outside in the courtyard and the bar is right off the lobby. I know it sounds strange but the beds were like sleeping on a cloud of clouds. I actually got up and looked for the manufacturer label to see if I could buy one as my next mattress. On one trip to Boulder I had to stay elsewhere but we came in for a drink before and after dinner. Just a great all around experience whether you stay here or just stop in for a drink.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mike G

Dear Mike G,

Thank you sharing your St Julien Hotel & Spa experiences, both as a hotel guest and a restaurant patron. I am pleased we were able to make you feel comfortable, and that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel – down to the mattresses. Unfortunately, our mattresses are specially designed for St Julien, and are not sold in the retail market, although we receive this inquiry often. I hope you return to St Julien Hotel & Spa soon, perhaps for pleasure instead of business next time!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

St. Julien – Had a lovely 3 night stay here over MLK weekend. We got the bed & breakfast package. The hotel is very nice. Service is excellent. The rooms are updated. Beds and linens are comfortable. Bathroom has a shower and tub which is very nice to have after a day of skiing. The breakfast was delicious every morning. It’s located adjacent to Pearl Street. There is no better location in Boulder than St. Julien.
I have two complaints. One, the Jacuzzi was not operating. Second, the first night we got to bed late, and knocked out. We didn’t check the sheets. When we woke up we noticed the sheets had blood stains. So gross. So I made sure to let housekeeping know to change the sheets.

Room Tip: Choose a room with the view of Flatirons!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rubidoe,

I appreciate you reviewing your St Julien Hotel & Spa stay, and am pleased that you were able to take advantage of one of our hotel packages. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our oversized bathrooms and your breakfast at Jill’s Restaurant. I apologize for the spa and housekeeping challenges you encountered. I will personally address these matters with my team; I hope you'll return to St Julien soon, and allow us to display the high level of cleanliness and functionality to which we hold ourselves.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Four nights at the St Julien was heaven. Everything was well thought out. cosy, comfortable, just what we needed. Bathroom was large, with separate room for toilet, huge soaking tub that came with bath salts, (always a good indicator of an excellent hotel, as far I'm concerned!) bathrobes and lots of towels (changed 2x a day) good hair dryer, lovely shampoo, and a nice sized shower.

Our king sized bed had a terrific mattress - my only complaint, and this is minor, is that the bottom sheet didn't stay tucked in.

They left chocolate covered Oreos on our pillow every night. We had a refrigerator as well as some clever and interesting snacks in the room bar. Never cheap when you get them in the room, but these were amusing and thoughtful.

Room service was easy and terrific - we spent an evening watching a movie and eating in bed. The food here generally is excellent, and i especially recommend the Sunday brunch, with a wide variety on its buffet that pleased even us vegetarians and vegans. (And a chocolate fountain, too!)

The hotel is in downtown Boulder so sometimes we went walking around for food - so many choices!

We had a rented car, and you do pay a parking fee for the valet overnight, but they were so nice it was worth it. (You also have the option to park right next door in the public garage for much less, which we didn't want to do because we came and went so much.) They had the car ready for us as we came and went, gave us bottles of water, and knew us by name by the second day. There's something about that which is so appealing. We felt very taken care of.

We took our grandson swimming in the hotel pool, a large indoor lap pool, and we went for a dip in the large hot tub (also indoors, with a bubbly fountain.) Lots of towels, all very clean

The people who work at this hotel are just lovely. Everyone we encountered was friendly, polite, helpful. I'll be back. Kind of wish I were there now.

Room Tip: We had room 425, a corner room with sunny windows on 2 sides. Far from the elevator (no problem, tho...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ninip262,

Thank you taking the time to write such an enthusiastic review of St Julien Hotel & Spa. I am pleased your stay with us was comfortable. I am especially pleased that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities and services during your stay, including room service, Sunday brunch, valet service and the indoor pool. I encourage you to save some time to relax in our 10,000 sq. ft. spa during your next visit as well. I am also glad that you found the St Julien staff to be so accommodating and polite, as we pride ourselves on providing our guests with top-notch service. We are very much looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My third trip to St. Julien Hotel.

Staying at the St. Julien for local business meetings.

The staff is always unfailingly polite and helpful. Rooms comfortable but a bit small for working. Housekeeping quality very good. Furniture and fixtures very nice. Storage a bit tight if you are on a long trip or stay.

I will always stay here when in Boulder.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view that is not of the parking structure
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear FourEasyPieces,

Thank you for your continued patronage of St Julien Hotel & Spa; return guests are always the best compliment we receive. I am pleased you've found our staff to be continously helpful and polite, and your accommodations to be comfortable. As for your concerns regarding workspace, I encourage you to look into one of our 12 suites for your next stay, as they have no shortage of space. I look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for 5 days and loved every moment of it. We were so well taken care of, the staff are well trained and very gracious. The hotel is gorgeous without being over the top. Our room was quiet and we loved the deep tub, large shower and yummy bed. We used the spa 2x's and it is really well managed and relaxing. We ate at the restaurant every morning and the food was very good and again the service was excellent. And I agree with other reviews that Erik the massage therapist is awesome. We definitely come back and look forward to it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Loveadventure78,

Thank you sharing your St Julien Hotel & Spa experience. I'm pleased you had such an enjoyable time, that your accommodations were to your liking, and that you were provided with quality service in the hotel, Jill’s Restaurant and Spa at St Julien. I will pass along your compliments to Erik directly. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

The St Julien Hotel and Spa really knows how to make people comfortable. Every time we walked in the door was opened for us and we were greeted and offered water. The room was average size with two Queen size beds and we had one roll away (not really comfortable but we ended up not using it anyway) The beds were comfortable and the beds cozy. The bathroom was well stocked and roomy and the shower was incredible. Loved that the toilet was a closed off section of the bathroom too.
The mini bar was the best stocked thing I had seen since my stay at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto. Terrific items.
Every day the hotel housekeeping staff cleaned up our room and left us delectable treats at turndown! what a nice job they did too.
The spa was incredible. Very organized and we all enjoyed our massages. I do have to say tho for the amount of pregnant ladies there that morning for massages it is a shame they don't have maternity massage beds so the ladies can lay on their tummies. Always a nice treat. No worries though it was a good massage.
I had a reflexology appt back to back with my massage (no pun intended) and it was really excellent.
The sauna and steam room I could have stayed in all day. Loved it so much asked my husband to build me a steam room at our Bed and Breakfast.
The weekend was topped off by drinks by the fire at night with live music…so relaxing and such a fabulous location. A great weekend. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: make sure you get a Flatirons view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gwen R

Dear lamisolegran,

Thank you for taking the time to review your weekend stay at St Julien Hotel & Spa. I am pleased your experience was comfortable, and that you and your daughters enjoyed the service you received and your accommodations – including the spacious bathroom, minibar and turndown service. I'm also happy you enjoyed your time at Spa at St Julien; I will be sure to share your suggestion to incorporate maternity massage beds into treatment rooms with the spa team. I hope you'll return soon, as a repeat guest is the best compliment we can hope to receive.